• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Aircrew Selection/ACS (Merged)

My ACS is being scheduled at the moment (fingers crossed for May 28-30 dates).

Did anyone need to bring medical documents to ACS? The recruiter didn't mention any required medical documents but on the website:
(http://www.rcaf-arc.forces.gc.ca/en/cf-aircrew-selection-centre/admin-instructions.page#s2) it says required documents prior to going to ACS,

Section Two:  Preliminary Medical
The preliminary medical—referred to as “the Part III medical” in the RHB consists of the following tests:

Eye test:  candidates must be seen by an ophthalmologist or optometrist (NOT an Optician): 
Blood test**:  Hemoglobin, WBC (white blood count), Lipids (cholesterol, HDL, LDL, triglycerides) and Fasting Blood Glucose
Chemical*(minimum specific gravity, protein, blood.) AND microscopic urinalysis
Physical Exam.  A routine physical exam of the candidate can be done by either a physician (medical doctor) or an MA (medical assistant).

Can anyone confirm this?????  I thought this was done already at the first standard medical.

WildTiger said:
My ACS is being scheduled at the moment (fingers crossed for May 28-30 dates).

Did anyone need to bring medical documents to ACS? The recruiter didn't mention any required medical documents but on the website:
(http://www.rcaf-arc.forces.gc.ca/en/cf-aircrew-selection-centre/admin-instructions.page#s2) it says required documents prior to going to ACS,

Section Two:  Preliminary Medical
The preliminary medical—referred to as “the Part III medical” in the RHB consists of the following tests:

Eye test:  candidates must be seen by an ophthalmologist or optometrist (NOT an Optician): 
Blood test**:  Hemoglobin, WBC (white blood count), Lipids (cholesterol, HDL, LDL, triglycerides) and Fasting Blood Glucose
Chemical*(minimum specific gravity, protein, blood.) AND microscopic urinalysis
Physical Exam.  A routine physical exam of the candidate can be done by either a physician (medical doctor) or an MA (medical assistant).

Can anyone confirm this?????  I thought this was done already at the first standard medical.

Not 100% sure but I believe that your CFRC normally provides you with a copy of your medical records to hand carry with you.  Provided you pass the ASC testing, you are normally then shuttled to DRDC Toronto to undergo the "full" Aircrew Medical Screening/Exam.  The first medical at your CFRC is only the basic exam.

Thanks!

How long does it usually take from the initial email to confirming the date for ACS? It's been about 2 weeks and I haven't heard any word yet.

WildTiger,

My son is also waiting for May 28-30 ACS confirmation.

How long does it usually take from the initial email to confirming the date for ACS? It's been about 2 weeks and I haven't heard any word yet.
[/quote]

For everyone prepping for ASC... I'd read that the new tests are exactly the British RAF tests that we've just leased from them and are using basically unchanged. The Brits call it OASC.

So, I did some looking around, and the Brits have a number of sources published on helping people prep for it. Reading the descriptions, it seems that the test is in fact the same, down to the same names being used.

I just bought a test guide and a 900 question speed/distance/time test series from Amazon for the OASC. Haven't had a chance to look at them yet, but it seems like it should help. Just wanted to pass on the info to everyone out there. You can buy them from Kindle so you can get started on them right away.

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B009XTGP7Q/ref=oh_d__o01_details_o01__i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0081987FC/ref=oh_d__o00_details_o00__i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Those who've done the test already - I know you can't say much about it, but do these seem helpful?

Cheers!

Good to hear that all confirmed! After going through the book, it seems the benefit is that it offers a much more detailed explanation of each test than the candidate guide, along with tips on how to do well.

Turns out I'm a fool at speed/distance/time and fuel calculations!
Someone suggested an app called Math Workout which has been super helpful. I also picked one up called FindSpeed (which does speed/distance/time) and one called MemorizeTheNumber for memory strings.

Anyone get booked for ACS in July? My name was missed after being submitted  in May so they had to resubmit it again. Still no call yet...this happen to anyone?

I am totally not surprised to hear that. Ah well. It happens when it happens I guess. I'm waiting on medical clearance from Ottawa. Maybe we'll be on it together.

I heard that they changed the selection tests since I did it in January 2013.
If I had to give it a second try, would I still need to get my private liscence before or it is not necessary anymore with the new test?

Hannibal_Barca said:
I heard that they changed the selection tests since I did it in January 2013.
If I had to give it a second try, would I still need to get my private liscence before or it is not necessary anymore with the new test?

I will quote the Aircrew Selection Centre Administration Instructions which can be found at the following address: http://rcaf-arc.forces.gc.ca/en/cf-aircrew-selection-centre/admin-instructions.page

If you have reason to believe a prospective candidate has already been tested at CFASC, contact the ASC Coord., who will confirm candidate’s status and previous results (pass or fail) if applicable.  Pilot selection transitioned from CAPSS to the Canadian Forces Aircrew Selection Testing (CFAST) in July 2013. Candidates who met the most recent CAPSS selection standard but were not enrolled, will not have to undergo CFAST testing. Candidates processed during the current fiscal year (FY 13/14) may be permitted to return to CFASC to complete the new CFAST sub-tests without waiting the required one year if their current Royal Air Force Aircrew Aptitude Test (RAFAAT PB8 ) performance meets the established cut-offs for the domain and index scores (4-5 sub-tests in the current RAFAAT (PB8) battery are the same for the CFAST). For candidates processed after the implementation of CFAST (July 2013), failure to meet the domain and index score cut-offs will require a complete retest.  IAW Personnel Psychology Directive 204 (PPD 204), candidates who fail to meet either the domain or index score cut-offs must wait a minimum of one year between test sessions, for a maximum of three attempts.  Furthermore, as Pilot candidates are provided detailed performance feedback with CFAST, and the nature of the testing is entirely computer-based, it is not necessary for candidates to complete academic upgrading or pilot license upgrading to be eligible for retesting.

Therefore, you will not need any pilot license upgrading. Cheers!

For anyone heading to Trenton soon, it's a good idea to bring a sweater. It was pretty chilly in the testing room this week.

Anyone know when the next round of pilots are being selected?  They said the next one is in November (Missed the July23rd date), but wanted a sanity check here.

Hi,
I recently finished aircrew selection.  I failed pilot but passed for other trades. After the test, it was recommended that if I want to retest, I should get on Luminosity and study as much spatial awareness stuff on there as possible.  It was frustrating being pepped on test preperation after I wrote the test (Not before), so I figured I would share this info on the forum for others about to write the test.  I regret not doing more to prepare, and trust me, when you get there, you probably will too.
Good luck.

pd89 said:
Hi,
I recently finished aircrew selection.  I failed pilot but passed for other trades. After the test, it was recommended that if I want to retest, I should get on Luminosity and study as much spatial awareness stuff on there as possible.  It was frustrating being pepped on test preperation after I wrote the test (Not before), so I figured I would share this info on the forum for others about to write the test.  I regret not doing more to prepare, and trust me, when you get there, you probably will too.
Good luck.

Never heard this advice either. You going to go with AEC or ACSO or will retake the test?

Gunshark said:
Never heard this advice either. You going to go with AEC or ACSO or will retake the test?

I have three weeks to decide, and I havent made the decision yet.  I will retake it in a year, I was told even if I am in a different trade in the CF I will be able to retake the test after 365 days from the first test.

pd89 said:
I have three weeks to decide, and I havent made the decision yet.  I will retake it in a year, I was told even if I am in a different trade in the CF I will be able to retake the test after 365 days from the first test.

That may be true, but if you're already training for a different trade at that time, I don't know that you will be able to switch back into Pilot, or at least not right away, potentially not before putting in some years into the original trade. I seem to recall seeing in other threads here that in general it is better to apply from the get go into the trade that you want, as transfers are not a sure or a simple thing, though not uncommon. But you should research on that more if that's the path you're thinking of taking.

Gunshark said:
That may be true, but if you're already training for a different trade at that time, I don't know that you will be able to switch back into Pilot, or at least not right away, potentially not before putting in some years into the original trade. I seem to recall seeing in other threads here that in general it is better to apply from the get go into the trade that you want, as transfers are not a sure or a simple thing, though not uncommon. But you should research on that more if that's the path you're thinking of taking.

I've done my research and am aware of what that path entails.
Thanks dad

Back