• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Aircrew DUI

observor 69

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
"After a fighter pilot was charged with drunk driving, Air Force commander wondered if incident was part of a bigger problem"

In the days after a Canadian fighter pilot was charged with drunk driving upon his arrival at a San Diego air base, the commander of the Royal Canadian Air Force sent an email to colleagues.

“We should have a quick chat on DUIs,” Lt.-Gen. Michael Hood wrote on Nov. 14, 2016. “Not sure if someone can pull stats together but would like to see if this is something we need to address more fulsomely.”

https://www.thestar.com/news/investigations/2018/11/20/after-fighter-pilot-got-arrested-for-drunk-driving-air-force-commander-wondered-if-incident-was-part-of-a-bigger-problem.html

Obviously DUI is an important issue but the author seems to be working a bit hard to fill a lot of newsprint.

Baden Guy said:
"After a fighter pilot was charged with drunk driving, Air Force commander wondered if incident was part of a bigger problem"

In the days after a Canadian fighter pilot was charged with drunk driving upon his arrival at a San Diego air base, the commander of the Royal Canadian Air Force sent an email to colleagues.

“We should have a quick chat on DUIs,” Lt.-Gen. Michael Hood wrote on Nov. 14, 2016. “Not sure if someone can pull stats together but would like to see if this is something we need to address more fulsomely.”

https://www.thestar.com/news/investigations/2018/11/20/after-fighter-pilot-got-arrested-for-drunk-driving-air-force-commander-wondered-if-incident-was-part-of-a-bigger-problem.html

Obviously DUI is an important issue but the author seems to be working a bit hard to fill a lot of newsprint.

Indeed. That article got quite repetitive.

My experience has been that impaired driving is the most common criminal offense that we see otherwise normal, productive, well behaved get caught and charged for. I wouldn’t infer too much from a pew pilots being caught. I would be surprised if there were tremendous disparity between trades if the CAF had a broad look at who gets charged with impaired.

Indeed.

Interesting that the writer focused on not just pilots, but fighter pilots only.  Reads to me that he wasn’t going to let a lack of facts get on the way of a hypothesis he wanted to prove.

After being around the fighter world for a better part of a decade this comes as no surprise. It's a shame the MSM can't pop into the hangar or officers mess on a Friday night and see the real nonsense. The amount of childish behaviour that goes on would probably institute a zero alcohol policy RCAF wide.

garb811 said:
Indeed.

Interesting that the writer focused on not just pilots, but fighter pilots only.  Reads to me that he wasn’t going to let a lack of facts get on the way of a hypothesis he wanted to prove.

There was this example:

"In one of these cases, a pilot who flies the C-130J Hercules transport aircraft with Trenton-based 426 Squadron was stopped by Ontario Provincial Police officers. The pilot is reported to have failed a roadside sobriety test."

Wonder how many journalists have been arrested and charged with DUI's
Of course that "story" would never be told because it would require a journalist to investigate it and a paper to publish it.
Just saying

Tom

Ah, right Baden Guy, posted a bit after I had read the article and forgot about that one. Thanks!

Back