• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Aircrew Blood Pressure

Staticat

Inactive
Reaction score
Sorry if this is in the wrong spot. I figured this wouldn’t go into the Enrolment Medical category.

I’ve been a member for a few years now and require an A4 medical for my trade.

I’ve been worried about my blood pressure lately as it is considered high and I’ve been tracking it for a while now. I have an appointment at the MIR in just over a month that will confirm this.

Should I be worried about the implications on my career? Are there a lot of other aircrew trade members on blood pressure medication?

Thanks!

Just my semi-educated  :2c:...

If you're in a flying position, it would be a bigger deal and might result in a grounding, TCat while things settle out/resolve.  If you're not in a flying position, but involved in flying operations, you might be given some MELs while things settle out/resolve.  Personally, the only aircrew mbr I know who had long-term career implications was one who was Primary for an OUTCAN and they made the decision to send the Secondary.  The Primary returned to flying shortly after.

The BP itself is one thing, 'what is causing it' is another.  That can only be assessed by the med folks.

Career-implications aside, have you considered going to the BHosp to talk to the med folks about your BP?  BP clinic, etc?  Career implications are one thing;  long lasting health implications are even more important.  I'm hoping that isn't what your appointment is in a month, but it is a COVID reality as well.  Everything is taking longer than normal...

Thanks for your response. Your experience with this is reassuring.

Unfortunately it’s a genetic thing and most importantly a long chain of poor lifestyle decisions, which while I am not proud of them, I’m doing my best to reverse it.

I’m not in a flying position but in support of flying ops. I’m not worried about getting on a TCat right now because I’m being posted out.

My medical appt is in a couple weeks (not next month...time flies!) and it’s a 24hr BP monitor, so they’re aware of the situation and getting the “diagnosis”. Just trying to ask around to see what’s in store for me. I’m hoping that I can get some meds to go along with the lifestyle changes and we can move on. I was getting a little worried that the implications would be significantly worse.

Lifestyle choices are the easiest fixes !  ;D

Good luck with your med process;  hopefully it's just a little bump in the road and not an anti-tank ditch.  :D

Absolutely my friend!

I’m just worried it won’t be enough to “pass” my BP monitor test ;)

I'm A1 with high blood pressure, for several years starting in my 30s. I am on medication as well, the only difference is my geo dropped a level and requires a closer look on deploying. I was MELed for something like a month to see if the meds were effective/caused side effects, and I'm fortunate enough to respond to the kind that have no common side effects or flying restrictions (angiotensin receptor blockers). There are meds that carry significant restrictions and could cause bad side effects (beta blockers as one example).

My case is genetic, as my lifestyle is 99th percentile stuff, though I can cheat the BP lower with regular dark chocolate intake combined with the meds. It's also very directly affected if I take a week off of fitness.

Back