• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Aircraft commander, has urged the UK Ministry of Defence to reconsider the early retirement of the C-130J Hercules fleet.

Why? To what end would adding another fleet of lifters, on top of the 9 new CC-330s improve things? Would it not just be better, if it is determined we are still short of Strat lift, to just buy more 330s?

Fair. Can we carry vehicles in the new MRTTs?

My sense from the interwebs is that with the right door we could get a Milverado on board if not a JLTV.

There are other projects implicated in FFCP - eg DCFI, STTC... Lots of fun interdependencies which, in some cases, cross over into other projects as well.

Fair. Can we carry vehicles in the new MRTTs?

My sense from the interwebs is that with the right door we could get a Milverado on board if not a JLTV.
wouldn't increasing the size of the fleet of 130j provide a more flexible alternative. Extend the life of the ones we have and provide airlift capacity at the same time plus no additional training syllabus as adding another airframe would entail

wouldn't increasing the size of the fleet of 130j provide a more flexible alternative. Extend the life of the ones we have and provide airlift capacity at the same time plus no additional training syllabus as adding another airframe would entail
That's another good option.

Clearly Opposite Day today, as I agreed with @Kirkhill in this, the 130 has a limited capacity, while decent legs, isn’t exactly a speed demon.

But given the 747 line is closed as is the C-17, the only real option seems to be more Herc’s.

Clearly Opposite Day today, as I agreed with @Kirkhill in this, the 130 has a limited capacity, while decent legs, isn’t exactly a speed demon.

But given the 747 line is closed as is the C-17, the only real option seems to be more Herc’s.

Further fragmenting the fleet with A400 ?

The A400 would however at least reduce the pressure on the C 17s . Assuming we bought them in sufficient numbers....which of course we wouldn't.
It's the Canadian way after all.

The A400 would however at least reduce the pressure on the C 17s . Assuming we bought them in sufficient numbers....which of course we wouldn't.
It's the Canadian way after all.
The 330s should take alot of pressure off the C17 fleet. Obviously not vehicles and oversized loads, but a lot of pax/freight missions can go over that way.

Back