• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Airborne Warning not Aircrew?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it's good to know I wasn't the only one thinking about it. It sounds like this discussion might not be over and is being discussed outside of army.ca in the "real world" as well.

Rifleman62 said:
Who on the AWAC crew is not air force?

AFAIK - they are all blue.  I will let you know in 6 months for sure.

Zoomie: who operates the radios along with a USAF member?

Rifleman62 said:
... who operates the radios ....

Which ones?  I imagine that the AC Ops and AEC types talk to the aircraft that they are controlling.  The ACSO gets a radio or two to talk on (non-functioning of course) and the Pilots have their normal bank of 4-5 radios.

Don't know or pretend to know the answer to your question. I do know that  (Army) Sig Ops are crew.

Rifleman62 said:
Don't know or pretend to know the answer to your question. I do know that  (Army) Sig Ops are crew.

What does this have to do with Sig Ops ?

I guess this is bit of trivia is going too far.

There are a couple of out of country Sig Op positions. Their posting is to operate the radios on USAF AWACs.

Thought it was a bit humorous WRT the conversation, that some army guys are impacted.

Guess my humor was not catchy. 

Rifleman62 said:
There are a couple of out of country Sig Op positions. Their posting is to operate the radios on USAF AWACs.

I met a few "Jimmies" on my sea survival course but they were all ATIS techs and their job was to keep the radar working on NATO AWACS, so this sig op thing is news to me.

I cant see why you need sig ops for that.

CDN Aviator said:
... they were all ATIS techs and their job was to keep the radar working on NATO AWACS...

That's something that makes sense.  Don't need a Jimmy to talk on the radios.

Somebody thinks they do. There are crew positions. Are you guys familiar with the AWACs crew positions? I am not. Check it out.

Rifleman62 said:
Somebody thinks they do. There are crew positions. Are you guys familiar with the AWACs crew positions? I am not. Check it out.

I am only familiar with those trades that i have personaly met, who are employed on AWACS ( both USAF and NATO) and none of them were Sig Ops. I sure would like to know what they do because if it is talking on radios, i cant see why.

Like I mentioned earlier - I will let you know in August - I am posted to an AWACs unit this summer.

OK Maybe I can chime in and help out with some answers....I am currenting posted to NATO AWACS......postions we have on board Pilots, copilots FE,NAV, comm Tech, Systems tech, Radar Tech.....all the techs are WTIS kind of guys..... we  have AEC's and ACops...at NATO there are no a aesop's..all airforce types on board no navy types flying...and no army Sigs.....there may be army sigs on the ground to work in the shops on the flight line but nothing but airforce flying. When AEC's get here they either work as Wpns, passive controllers or surv. controllers.

A PM was sent to Zoomie and Cdn Aviator to clarify.

There are two Army Sig Op flying positions with the USAF AWAC Wings.

Regret hijack.

Rifleman62 said:
A PM was sent to Zoomie and Cdn Aviator to clarify.

There are two Army Sig Op flying positions with the USAF AWAC Wings.

Regret hijack.

In speaking with personnel in the know, might I suggest that AWACS is the wrong platform.  These positions would be more for JSTARS. 

airmich: Ask your informant what is a E-3 and what is a E-8. Where are the E-3 home based, and where are E-8 home based?

Rifleman62 said:
airmich: Ask your informant what is a E-3 and what is a E-8. Where are the E-3 home based, and where are E-8 home based?

My first thought is "why".  But here is the answer I was given.

The E-3 (AWACS) is located in the midwest of the U.S. and the E-8 (JSTARS) is located in the Southern portion of the U.S.  E-3 and E-8 stand for the USAF aircraft designation based on mission type.  I.E.  F-15, F-16 stand for fighter.

Rifleman62:

I guess this is bit of trivia is going too far.

Thought it was a bit humorous WRT the conversation, that some army guys are impacted.

Guess my humor was not catchy. 

I should not have asked the question, thought the answer was obvious, but it was not.

I don't understand all the opposition to my post that there are two Army Sig Ops flying as crewman in USAF AWACS.

Anyway, I know the Sig Op very well, and have been to the USAF base, seen the aircraft.

The E-3 (AWACS) is located in the midwest  ( Tinker AFB, Oklahoma City, OK) of the U.S. and the E-8 (JSTARS) is located in the Southern (Robins AFB, GA) portion of the U.S.  E-3 and E-8 stand for the USAF aircraft designation based on mission type.  I.E.  F-15, F-16 stand for fighter.

P.S. the USN operates E -6Bs from Tinker also.

Rifleman is correct, we do have SigOp (army) positions in Tinker.  As far as I know, we don't have anyone serving w/ JSTARS...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back