• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Airborne Artillery

We used to used gun in the arty now it is mortars, Whats next getting reed of all guns complete and becoming a Inf Mot er pl. No disrespect to the inf they are a gr ea bunch to work with never been treated better but i feel like we are loosing our role by not using the equipment that we were trained on.

Arty God

With a self proclaimed name like that I would expect better of you, I guess you haven't watched the news in the last 6 months and saw those big 777's going to work eh. Granted the arty does do do a lot more with the mortars than they used to but most of the time that's the SACs call and not the DS battery itself. Mortars are still a viable option as well, like the title of this post for instance, can't see them throwing 777's or LG-1s out the back of a Herc for quite some time but I believe C-Bty just did a raid in the spring actually jumping mortars in. Some FS is still better than none at all and I think to go along with that, that exact same lesson is being learned(or relearned)today overseas(although in that case bigger is definitely better) Anyhow that's about enough spouting off from me

Ahhhh.... M777s to reach out and touch someone you love (to death :))

Rampage, ref 777 that is great, what i mean is they are spreading us thin. Being a SNC in all Regt its getting harder to main the Guns correctly, that all I ment

Retired Gunner

I was just reading over all the posts and I would like to say that C Bty did jump 4 mortars into Kamloops. I was a det member for that jump. All I have to say is hats off to all the former E-Bty guys!!!! It was my first ex jump(yes we are only cas para) and I can tell you I learned a lot! It was was pretty chaotic on the DZ. We were trialing a new bag that you put the mortars in. It was pretty successful. Our B.C. got hung up in some tree's and from the tree's he was guiding the rest of us to the mortar bags. We brought them into action and carried out a dry(yippee) mission. I am originally in the O.P.s so I am not too sure but I think the 4th guy is the ammo guy,again don't quote me on this. When I was on the mortars in Afghanistan,we only had three man dets. I hope this sheds some light on any questions.If that is people are still reading this post!!!

Ok, I tried the search function and couldn't really find anything on this. I was just wondering back when we had airborne artillery, did they actually jump with the C3 or whatever gun was used at the time? Moreover, I was wondering if there are any plans of bringing back Airborne Artillery, potentially with the M777? Thanks in advance for your responses.

I don't recall them being attached in that often. I can only think of one Ex (that we actually jumped) where we actually had the G C/S attached in during the last two years I've been around here. It's dissappointing. I'd love to see us have them work with us more often. We hardly get the E and G C/S attached in. I know it's been brought up before. I'm sure there's some type of man power shortage or CoC shortage or something.

If you look at the politics of jump positions there are reasons that the Artillary and Engineers do not have jump positions.  First off there is only a company of jump positions allocated, that being Mike Coy at RCR,  plus the medic and rigger positions, at one point it was suggested to only have one rigger position as a jump position but hard to run a jump with one rigger when you need one at the emplaning point and one on the dropzone, to have more positions such as Recce Platoon it has to come out of the unit budget.  For othr units there is only so many CAS Para positions available and the pay for those jumps has to be borne by the unit so alot of units are not willing to pay for that.  That being said there has been engineers and artillary jump but it is an understanding between the units and it is unfortunate that it doesn't happen more often.  The Airborne Engineers and Artillary were a key component in the CAR days and still provide a role in Airborne Ops

Just curious, has there ever been a Airborne Artillery jump in a live operation?

Apparently the closest thing nowadays would seem to be a M777 being flown in by a Chinook with a detachment inside...the evolution of the "Airborne Gunners"  (Excluding the mortar jumps)

E Troop E Battery 2 RCHA is an M777 troop with a secondary role of providing airborne 81mm mortars to M Coy. The gun is being worn on maroon berets once again in E Battery.

That's cool.....I guess a whole new batch of Airborne Gunner shirts are in order.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=cdd_1223217722

The claim in this video is that E Battery has been busy hammering the snot out of enemy in the sandbox. (Even if it isnt E battery, these lads are clearly Canadian ... , especially at the very end :)

That is the video of E Battery on TF 3-06. One of the confirming bits, besides the Bisons, is the short clip of the 120mm Mortar that an American unit loaned them.

Fatalize said:
Just curious, has there ever been a Airborne Artillery jump in a live operation?

Apparently the closest thing nowadays would seem to be a M777 being flown in by a Chinook with a detachment inside...the evolution of the "Airborne Gunners"  (Excluding the mortar jumps)

Canadian gunners parachuted into action twice during the Second World War. The first occasion was the invasion of Southern France, while the second was the crossing of the Rhine. In both cases they were members of Airborne Forward Observation Units, Royal Artillery that provided FOO parties to parachute battalions. Captain (later Lieutenant Colonel) Sid Mooney was awarded the Military Cross during the Rhine operation.

MC recommendation Capt SA Mooney (2 pages).

Picture captions:

Captains S.A. Mooney and I.C. Stewart, Forward Observation Officers attached to the 6th Airborne Division, British Army, Greven, Germany, 5 April 1945.
Richer, Charles H., Photographer

A parachute-qualified Forward Observation team of the Royal Canadian Artillery (R.C.A.) taking part in a training exercise, Wismar, Germany, 20 May 1945.

A Forward Observation Group of the Royal Canadian Artillery (R.C.A.) attached to the 6th Airborne Division, Wismar, Germany, 20 May 1945. (L-R): Lance-Bombardier H. Venne, Captain S.V. Lloyd, Gunners I.H. Clay and C.K. Bradley.

Rifleman62 said:
Captains S.A. Mooney and I.C. Stewart, Forward Observation Officers attached to the 6th Airborne Division, British Army, Greven, Germany, 5 April 1945.

In this photo the two seem to be wearing reversible German camouflaged field jackets.  They also appear to be sporting Royal Horse Artillery cap badges, unless officer's RCA badges were different from the ones worn by OR's.

Cheers,
Dan.

They are wearing the grenade that was worn as collar dogs on service dress as a cap badge.

Note that the photo of Capt Mooney was taken the same day as he won ( plus the next morning) his immediate MC!

Didn't notice any trembling in his cigarette hand. Photo must be prior to the action. Or, the big grin is because he survived. Didn't know about the next morning.

Old Sweat said:
They are wearing the grenade that was worn as collar dogs on service dress as a cap badge.

I seem to recall that The Honourable Artillery Company wear/wore the Grenade as their hatbadge...and IIRC, they were part of the arty support for 6 Airborne.

MM

Back