• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Airborne Artillery

Fellas

Just a note on this, I was talking to a C-Bty soldier and he told me they are sending a troop out to Kamloops on a jump ex(mortars) Seems the plan is to jump 4 tubes(4 man dets)2 OP parties(4 guys in each party)and a CP(4 guys again)Not trying to insult anyones intelligence by giving #'s its just that alot of the numbers have changed ie..the inf used to have 3 man mortar dets. Anyhow it should be interesting and it does appear that they are trying to resurrect that capability(or if they are jumping already have it)in 1 CMBG at least. He told me as well they had guys down in Menton Days (Dec)wearing maroon berets, said it was the OC of the Coy they were attached to that wanted them to so.....Anyhow just an update.

Rampage, do you happen to have a time frame for this?  39CBG has a Bde ex and several BMO courses that I'm probably involved with in that area over the next couple of months, might be neat to see that.

DF

ParaMed Tech

Its at the beginning of Mar. I'm not sure if we're allowed to give specific dates for an exercise, if anyone can confirm I'll gladly give them to to you. I think they are doing a night jump as well, kinda too bad though, I know thats what would probably be happening if they really had to do it but it would also be good I think for the public to see that sort of thing, can't really think of a better recruiting tool to get young guys(and girls)then to see paratroopers (I say that cause 3VP is taking part as well)dropping with full equip and actions on the DZ. Anyhow just my opinion. Like I said if anyone can get back to me on the date thing then I'll fish them up for you Paramed tech but its kind of an interesting thread that I don't want to see get locked up. :)

Journeyman

I think they use the fourth guy as basically a pack mule, I know they are doing a ton of light stuff so they have everyone packing a piece of the mortar ie baseplate, tube and tripod and the fourth guy carries a tri-pack. Its not alot of ammo but its something at least and if they're with the Coy Gp usually the guys there who aren't humping radios and support wpns will usually be carrying a tri-pack as well. I've been told it works pretty slick and they did just that on their last ex.  As well once they're at the BP loc they use the 4th guy from all the tubes as loc protection

rampage800 said:
I think they use the fourth guy as basically a pack mule

Seen. I thought maybe the arty had somehow made the drills more complicated to include another pair of hands in the sequence somewhere.  ;)

More ammo-carrying labour is always welcome though, since history/current events show us that ammo tends to be expended a lot faster than figured by some staff-officer sitting in NDHQ.

Rampage, don't worry about it, got a brief from ops guys "in the know".  Looks like I won't make it; too bad, would've been neat to see.

DF

in most organisations, the no 4 guy would be the "dooer" while everyone else supervises the heck out of him ;)

The 4th guy in the det is generally the C-9 gunner. In a "non-linear" battlefield where the Taliban can come from anywhere, having some extra firepower of our own seems like a good idea.

CommonSenseNCO said:
having some extra firepower of our own seems like a good idea.

Yeah, I guess that was similar to the rationale for the infantry having mortars in the first place....it's just not "logical" now (for some reason)  ;)

So there isn't a set battery that is jump capable, just individual gunners that have their para course?

At present, nope..... some time in the future, as the CSOR develops it's capabilities.... maybee.  As far as I know, we retired the old Italian L5 pack howitzers that the airborne used to employ (after 5 RALC was done with em)...  At present, the Artillery is supposed to look after & operate the Mortars - so I would presume that any initial Artillery Battery belonging to the CSOR will be Mortar capable.........

:warstory: Remember watching a Low level extraction of a Dozer from the back of a Herc.............Interesting......... the machine wasn't fit to work after all the loose bits came sailing off but......... interesting to say the least ;) :warstory:

So far, from what I've heard....(everthing that follows is complete heresay so feel free to correct me)  Most of the Gunners that were sent over to CSOR are employed as Assaulters at the moment. The exception seems to be the 2 Pers FOO/FAC teams.  I had originally thoughts that there was to be a "Support" Platoon which would incorporate fire support but have not seen evidence of that so far.  As to G31 being Jump capable...it's not.

What do you mean by assaulters, like their being used as infantry? Or am I way out in left field here.

The gunners can always jump with their 81mm tubes.....

I though all batteries could be jumped so long as the instructions were followed properly.

;)

Cheers,
Duey

I've always a little confused as to which vehicle you attach the Neg cable to the frame......the boosting vehicle or the deadhead?  ;D

Don't forget to lick the battery to make sure it's charged OK...

Hmmm BOY. That has at least two connotations... ;D

Back