• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Airborne Artillery

Bruce Monkhouse

Pinball Dude
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Reaction score
A couple of the other threads are full of the para infantry stuff and I was just curious, do we still have active jumpers or just cas para? Not that cas para is a bad thing,it worked quite well for me.[  :crybaby:  Motion sickness, took just short flight jumps]  :crybaby:

E Bty (and the remainder of 2 RCHA) was reroled to a traditional battery in 1992(?) using guns and equipment from 4 RCHA.

When the CAR was disbanded, and the jump companies formed, the intent was to have a company group capability within each LFA. So in addition to the approximately 120 jump positions with the infantry, there would be additional positions allocated to enable a FOO party, engrs, and some CSS.

I believe this capability remains in each CMBG.

A Para coy has an establishment of just over 100. All other Para positions, in the LIB or in the BDE, have been cancelled at the end of 1999. So outside the Para coys, everything is CAS Para.

Casual Parachuting = cas para

Jump qualified soldiers that were not filling jump positions were given the opportunity to maintain their skills on a space available basis. The name changed to continuation parachuting in the mid/late 90s but it is still refered to as cas para.

F Bty, 2 RCHA supports 3 RCR with an airmobile capability. G31 is the Jump OP, for Para Coy. While the other 2(if the manning is there)are airmobile and support November and Oscar Coys. In Canada, G31 is not in maroon berets. However, during the last Bosnia Roto the 3RCR did, the Jump OP was in maroon berets. I believe that this is that same for C Bty out west.

As a current member of 1RCHA we have currently been putting people through jump courses in C bty. Dont quote me but I think its cause they want the mortor platoon to be jump capable. In support of 3VP. :sniper: :fifty:

Thanks for those comments cbtygunner, and welcome to cdnarmy.ca website. We are slowly building up then number of gunners that are regular users/visitors to the site. We need to hold our own against the pongo‘s and zipperheads that seem to infest this place.

If 1 RCHA is attempting to develop a jump capable mortar platoon, it is an initiative that they have developed themselves (or within 1 CMBG) as I have never any direction/funding to establish this type of capability.

Ubique.

Originally posted by Gunner:
[qb] Casual Parachuting = cas para

Jump qualified soldiers that were not filling jump positions were given the opportunity to maintain their skills on a space available basis. The name changed to continuation parachuting in the mid/late 90s but it is still refered to as cas para. [/qb]
To add to that, they would have the Red Maple Leaf on their Wings. Only those who have served with the CAR in an Operational role earned the right to wear the White Maple Leaf Wings.

Each of the Bdes try to keep a certain percentage of Jump Qual pers to fill any contingency.

GW

Only those who have served with the CAR in an Operational role earned the right to wear the White Maple Leaf Wings.
Or serve with CABC/CPC or one of the jump companies. I believe the Skyhawks also fall into this group.

I asked around today and our jump capablities come under the new way of doing things here in the light role. Our BC is constently goin to meetings under the name Light Forces Working Group. Which from what i got from my sources was that 3 VP wants at least 4 tubes jump capable. We have 8 in the bty right now....

Originally posted by Gunner:
[qb] Or serve with CABC/CPC or one of the jump companies. I believe the Skyhawks also fall into this group. [/qb]
Too much alluminium......forgot about them. ;)

GW

So thats whats I‘ve been doin wrong all these years....Here I am blaming it on taking a good wiff of a casing that was freshly shot......

This topic notes that one of our light batteries contains 8 mortar tubes. Do these batteries have guns as well?

And if so does that mean that the other batteries not specifically linked to light inf bns use the Bison/Wolf mortar carriers on top of their own guns?

Thanks for any input.

Well if it helps C Bty has just recently (yesterday lol) officially handed over the LG-1 to A Bty, guess we are just a mortar company.  Any 1 with input from 2 Horse?

A Bty with JUST mortars?.........somebody go slap someone!!!!

I think I read that 2 RCHA has the same setup at the moment, with one bty using mortars only.

I'm guessing this will mean that these batteries will employ either Wolf or dismounted mortars as needed when deployments arise.

I know here in 2 Horse, we have "D" Bty as our Mortar battery, but they also have the C3 105mm (though they have to sign them from either 30th field or 7th Tor.). As for vechiles they use the ML gun tractor while in the C3 role, and switch to the LS in the dismounted mortar role, I have yet to see the Regt go into a mounted role for either mortar or light gun, now that we have lost our M109s, and taken a strictly light role.

Just a note on the "dismounted" thought. I don't know what the "NEW" army has instore for us, but I read on dnd.ca, that the army is looking into buying a new SP 105mm gun, so maybe we will have mounted mortars and a bty of mounted guns, and a bty dismounted???  Who knows... lets see where this goes, could be interesting

Back