• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Air Weapons System Technician (AWS TECH)

PointZero said:
So even though AWS techs do aircraft weapons they also along with AVNs AVCs and AVSs preform simple duties like towing and refueling aircraft?

I can only speak to the CF-18 fleet, where they are qualified to carry out aircraft servicing tasks such as towing, refuelling, before and after flight checks, etc.  But they are not usually tasked to carry out these functions as they are usually busy doing such things as weapons convoys while the aircraft are being checked and towed out in the morning. When the checks are done they will carry out the loads on the aircraft while the servicing crews finish off paperwork and other work in preparation for the upcoming launch.  It's all fairly choreographed in that there are a lot of concurrent activities going on at the squadron to ensure maximum efficiency, which usually means the AWS techs don't do a lot of servicing.

In the website it mentioned that
"They will also be called upon to perform some duties in airborne aircraft."
Does it mean it will be operating weapons?

Also, What is Aircraft Maintenance Superintendent (AM Sup)?

nickanick said:
What is the AWS tech's duty when airborne ?

As far as i know, they only go flying when it is required to troubleshoot problems. They are not crewmembers that operate weapons, thats what aircrews do.

Another thread in the wrong area. This should be in Maintainer's Bench.

I am a AWST or AVN C if you have any questions regarding the Trade msg me and I will try and answer them to the best of my knowledge.

Hi Guys,

Does anyone here know the length of the AVS QL3 in Borden and how often they run it. Does anyone know the dates for this coming fiscal year 2013-2014?
I am transferring from the reserves to regs. They gave me bypass POET status because of my college education in electronics. So my questions really are:

1. How long is the actual QL3 and common core?

2. How often do they run it?

3. How is Borden like? (Airforce side of it)

If someone could answer those q's that would be great. Please email me chicogomez33[AT}gmail.com

Thanks,

EDIT: Changed the email to detract from spammers.

Could anyone please help me choose one of these 2 trades?

which of these 2 trades is a more hands on job?
is atis tech boring?
is aws tech boring?

i plan to be in the forces for atleast 25 years, but is it easy to get a civvie job after being an aws tech?

Which of these 2 trades would you personally pick and why?

THANK YOU FOR ANYONE THAT CAN HELP ME!
the decision is tough... this is what i plan to do for the rest of my life

Have you actually searched the site?  There's lots of information on both trades.  Try reading and then if something isn't answered, then by all means ask a question.

honestly just wanted to hear other peoples opinions on both trades to help me choose 1

One man's rewarding and exciting occupation is another man's this-sucks-yak-balls occupation.

We do not know you or what you like or do not like.

kevin91 said:
honestly just wanted to hear other peoples opinions on both trades to help me choose 1

Currently whats YOUR opinion of both trades? If you answer that then you have answered your own question.

1. 170 trg days
2. about every month
3. Pretty good. CFSATe has good staff and instructors.

Anyone knows what's up with the new QL3?

Last I hear every courses up to January have been canceled until the new course is ready, and then they won't start translating it in French until the pilot group is a success. Am I looking at more than 2 years of PAT?

Fiver said:
Anyone knows what's up with the new QL3?

Last I hear every courses up to January have been canceled until the new course is ready, and then they won't start translating it in French until the pilot group is a success. Am I looking at more than 2 years of PAT?

I haven't heard anything but they have cancelled all the courses. I got some buddies on the current course, I'll ask around.

As far as I have been able to figure out, all course up to Feb 14th have been cancelled as they redesign the course. However, any new AVS students will have a 7 month POET in kingston (may be 9 now) and a month on Common Core, so you won't be sitting around doing nothing the whole time.

POET is 132 or so training days, about 8 months~ But yeah, there's a highly tentative date for June 2014 for the start of the next franco QL3. Thanks all the same!

Once you've completed the common core you can ask to be sent to a flying unit while you wait for your TQ3... sorry, QL3. You may be just pumping gas or walking wings but at least you'll be getting experience.

Welcome to the profession.

Hi,

I'm thinking of putting a CT to AWS Tech and was curious if there were any post-secondary courses, etc that are relevant to this trade as I know it's a bit tougher to get in the RCAF.

Thanks,

Back