• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Air Navigators

csharding said:
so... from what i'm getting ACSOs fulfill a number of different positions.. you guys want to break those down? (if you use an acronym put the full name after so i know what it is...)

In addition to what CDN Aviator mentioned, there are also ACSO positions on the air-to-air refueling CC-150T Polaris tankers.

prima6 said:
In addition to what CDN Aviator mentioned, there are also ACSO positions on the air-to-air refueling CC-150T Polaris tankers.

I think Boom operator etc is an ncm trade in other military's..is the position that much different one needs a degree on the polaris?

IIRC the CC-150 Polaris MRTT does not have a boom but rather uses probe/drogue refueling as seen in the fol pic.

800px-Airbus_A310_MRTT.jpg

Luftwaffe Airbus A310 MRTT ready for refueling, shown at the Paris Air Show 2007

Office Linebacker said:
I think Boom operator etc is an ncm trade in other military's..is the position that much different one needs a degree on the polaris?

Has nothing to do with operating the refueling system.

CDN Aviator said:
SAR navigator on the CC-115...again not for much longer

You know something I don't? not much longer in Geological Epochs maybe...

I'm thinking he is referring to their possible position on the new FWSAR - last I heard we were still bolting a seat in the plane for the ACSO - someone has to file the flight plan for us.

Zoomie said:
I'm thinking he is referring to their possible position on the new FWSAR - last I heard we were still bolting a seat in the plane for the ACSO - someone has to file the flight plan for us.

and (teach themselves how to) do celestial nav...

Good to hear there is still consideration for ACSO on the FWSAR vehicle of tomorrow.  I can only hope that stays true.  I think I would have a hard time picking between FWSAR, MP and MH if the choice was ever presented to me (I know, I know, a guy can dream though).

Has anyone heard about the state of the UAV program now (bases, training, etc?)  I've heard through the grapevine that they're asking ACSOs with PPL/CPL to apply...soon.

Dimsum said:
  I've heard through the grapevine that they're asking ACSOs with PPL/CPL to apply...soon.

Yup. The response however, from what i have seen, is less than enthusiastic.

I can see that, seeing as no one knows where they'll be based, where they're training, or generally anything about it. 

Dimsum said:
I can see that, seeing as no one knows where they'll be based, where they're training, or generally anything about it.

If only it was just that........

We're in the process of ramping up some sort of program to grant accreditation to these future operators here at the school.  It may very well be a CF ticket without an APC.  They will get to sit beside a pilot in a King Air or Grob and explain how they think a certain instrument approach could be flown - touching of flight controls not required/allowed.  >:D

Zoomie said:
We're in the process of ramping up some sort of program to grant accreditation to these future operators here at the school.  It may very well be a CF ticket without an APC.  They will get to sit beside a pilot in a King Air or Grob and explain how they think a certain instrument approach could be flown - touching of flight controls not required/allowed.  >:D

It sounds like a very expansive way to do it IMO. FSX is not good enough? (just kidding). Not to mention using pilot training resources, certainly not going to help the training backlog for pilots.

FltEngr said:
certainly not going to help the training backlog for pilots.

Well, theres an equaly pressing need for UAV crews so........

Do they REALLY need to fly right seat in the King Air (looking at someone else doing the job) to be competent in the operation of a UAV?  IMHO, put them in a simulator for a while, let them fly the thing while we're at it, and give them a qualification with that.  That would be closer to what they'll actually do IMHO.

FltEngr said:
FSX is not good enough? (just kidding).

Since the big issue with UAV operators is getting an IFR ticket, well, they'll need to train for that.  When I did all my civilian ratings, and even on course in the military, Flight Simulator 9 (FSX wasn't out at the time) is what taught me about 90% of the stuff.  Sitting in my room, trying out different stuff, seeing what works for me and what doesn't.  Plus, that's probably much closer to what they'll actually do than flying a real airplane.  Granted you cannot issue an IFR ticket with Flight Sim, but a simple ride in a King Air or any other fixed wing simulator is all what would be required.

Back