• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Air Navigators

1. Any practice material in regards to practicing the Math.   no

2. If you fail the Nav test once can you still do it second time and after how long.  minimum of three months but without formal academic upgrading in the area of mathematics performance will not likely improve in such a short time.

3. Also if you applied for ROTP Pilot and didn't get in, do they continue with same application if u change ur trade or you have to reapply? Didn't get in after failing AirCrew?  If Pilot was your only choice then your file would be closed and you would have to reapply and if you had other choices then you would be considered for those.  Didn't get in because you were not selected? If Pilot was your only choice then your file would be closed and you would have to reapply the next year and if you had other choices then you may be considered for those.

I was wondering if there is any NCM trade that would in future make me more competitive for Air Navigator application or occupation.
Thanks

Honestly there really isn't too much you can do to practice, even for the Air Nav, there has been some threads on here that say practice highschool math. Dont worry about your complex highschool math, just your basic math skills. And as long as you've reviewed over those then that's all you can really take with you. Best advice I could suggest is read any advice that recruiters give you, (I can't remember if the prep booklet for ASC was just for Pilots or not...?) and get a good sleep the night(s) before!

Leo the NCM trade you are looking is AESOp. As a AESOp you work closely with Navs and use many of the same skills. AESOps can CFR to Nav and the Nav trade has quite a large number of former AESOps.

As of right now, AESOp is a remuster-only trade.  You can find some more info on it here: http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/22838.0.html

What do you mean by "Remuster only"?
I can't apply for Aerospace Control Op full time then?? or can I?

AESOp is Airbonre Sensor Operator and like navymich has said it is remuster only which means you have to join military as another trade and then remuster and a latter date. I am not sure of the exact requirements to remuster but I believe it is something like QL5 qualified and a corporal but thats just a guess. I believe you can enter as Aerospace Control Op directly.

I've decided to go Met Tech and continue my studies on my own part time. Eventually finish up my undergraduate and apply as a DEO following my NCM contract which is 5 yrs. So, basically I've got 5 yrs to finish up on 19 courses and get great military experience.

Anyone who has any current info on Air Nav (selection, training, employment, "what the job is actually like", etc etc) info, I would really appreciate it if you could post it, or PM it to Hot Lips.

She was waiting for a call for Nursing O for the last while, and just found out this week they cut 6 of the DEO positions for this year.  She is meeting with her MCC at CFRC again on Monday to discuss other options, and she has been looking at Air Nav as a possibility.  Hot Lips already has her degree and is looking at DEO options, other than Nursing.

Thanks a bunch

Mud

I'd also be curious as to what opportunities (if any) there are out there for Reserve Air Nav if you are not previously MOC qualified as one.  Does such a beast exist?  I understand that the BANC would require a full-time commitment for the duration of the course (aprox. 10 months?), but I don't know if they'd take a reserve DEO Air Nav applicant or not.

I applied for Air Nav (Reg) a few years ago, and passed all the tests & medical, but canned my application when my current civy career (teaching) came through.  I'd love to have the best of both worlds though.

Thanks in advance for any help/insight you can offer.

There is no such thing as a Reserve Navigator in Canada, if you have not already been in the Regular Force as a Navigator.  We only build them from scratch in the Regular Force.  Sorry.

To revive this topic:
It is my understanding that Air Nav's get to fly in the aircraft they are in.  Does this mean that they need to have the same vision level as a pilot does?

Thanks

Moggie said:
To revive this topic:
It is my understanding that Air Nav's get to fly in the aircraft they are in.  Does this mean that they need to have the same vision level as a pilot does?

Thanks

Get to fly in the aircraft they're in? What are you talking about? If you mean hands on the controls, no they don't unless we're having a little fun and the copilot will hop out to let anyone else who wants to fly have a crack at it. Otherwise, the front seats are occupied by pilots.

I had read on the CF Recruiting site that ANAVs must be able to (as in will learn to) fly the craft they are on, which would I assume they would only do so in emergencies, and I was given the same information as well by my grandad.  However, as the recruiting site tends to be a tad on the vague side, and my grandad is more familiar with the British way of doing things...I got the wrong story.

Thanks for clearing up that misunderstanding :)

Whoever is telling you that ANAVs "fly" the aircraft or train to fly the aircraft in emergencies is completly wrong. ANAVs certainly "fly on" aircraft and are involved in the "flying" of the aircraft (ie depending which aircraft and mission will handle navigation and communication). The main role of the Nav or TACCO (Tactical Coordinator) on Sea Kings and what I see as the future of the trade is the tactical employment of aircraft (ie how to position the aircraft to accomplish the mission or maximize the effectiveness of sensors). The one exception is on the CP-140 where two of the four Navs are actually  sensor operators (Acoustic).  I think the days of Navs plotting positions and updating courses has passed.  The vision requirement for ANAV is V3 vice V1 to start pilot training.

Moggie said:
it's all in optometry jargon (or at least looks that way  :p)

Thanks for your help

Stop asking people to do your work for you...that link not only provides a chart, it provides an explanation for each column in the chart...read!!@

As for specifics of what exactly V3 is I couldn't tell you. I know that people with V3 where glasses and my understanding is that V3 is pretty much standard for any Op trades in CF.

Looking back, I do realise that my post made me seem lazy, which I don't want to be.  So now,  I'm just about to delve into the world of optometry with the help of a few books I found at the library.

h3tacco: Thank you very much for your help, it is greatly appreciated ;D

GAP: Thanks for the motivation and helping me realise what I should be doing! :)

Hello, I am applying for the position of a Pilot with Air Nav as a backup. I want to eventually go on to do commercial aviation. How well will this work if I get Air Nav. I realize Air Nav's do not do the flying (they sit in the plane though) and so I won't have flying hours logged, but I will still have "experience in a jet plane or other type of plane". Has anybody gone from Air Nav to commercial pilot? I will likely have to do my flight training privately, or is there some basic flight training in the CF for Air Nav's? Will an ex-Air Nav still look better than a person trained as a civilian pilot doing bush-work for example when applying to the major airlines?

-bwa

Back