• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Air Force authorizes baseball caps in uniform

dimsum

Army.ca Myth
Mentor
Reaction score
I'm honestly surprised the USAF hadn't done that already. The USN has done that for decades.

The Air Force announced on Monday that airmen across the service are allowed to wear tactical operational camouflage pattern caps, which basically look like mil-spec baseball caps.

Previously, airmen wore such caps only while deployed to the U.S. Central Command area of responsibility, which includes the Middle East and Central Asia. But the new announcement permits caps across the service. However, airmen will have to buy their caps from third parties for now, since the Air Force is still working to acquire the caps so that they can be sold through the Army & Air Force Exchange Service.

“If you have a Tactical OCP Cap, as identified in the official Air Force guidance, you are authorized to wear immediately,” wrote Chief Master Sgt. of the Air Force JoAnne Bass in a Facebook post announcing the change on Monday.

I'm honestly surprised the USAF hadn't done that already. The USN has done that for decades.

Far be it from us to cater to a demographic/non-issue whilst wondering why recruiting efforts are moribund.

After all, BEARDFORGEN only came out a few years ago. How much jarring change can the CAF undergo?

Ball caps, in uniform? How unprofessional…..🙄

Still waiting on the demise of the beret, they are utterly ridiculous.

I haven’t worn a beret in 16 years and I am not even sure where it is!

Dislike! I refuse to wear a wedge over a beret. The beret stays on my my head, in all weather.

And is warmer in winter and cooler in summer, and mostly made of natural, renewable materials.

Seriously the ball cap is the way to go day to day. Berets and wedges have their place but day to day work on a ship or the tarmac ain't the place. And I'm an Army guy who's head is supposed to explode over things like this.

Fleece toques indeed. 😈

Seriously the ball cap is the way to go day to day. Berets and wedges have their place but day to day work on a ship or the tarmac ain't the place. And I'm an Army guy who's head is supposed to explode over things like this.

Fleece toques indeed. 😈
I did a double-take when I first saw an RCN member wearing a ball cap in NCDs downtown.

It makes total sense though - the hurdle would be getting the Clothing and Dress Committees (ahem some old folks) onboard. The fact that the Navy, of all services, allowed this blew my mind.

Always wanted to wear a wedge with the sides pulled down to cover the face, just to see veins burst on some SNCO faces.

Can't do it with current ones, or the old CF optional green one (I saw a Major in Lahr wearing one with an RCR cap badge on it for a service flight).

The old Air Cadet Cossack Cavalry Blue ones were fully-functional, though, and looked pretty goofy when worn in winter survival mode.

Berets and wedges have their place but day to day work on a ship or the tarmac ain't the place

There is no place for any soft hat on a flight line unless it's Gorilla-glued or tied on firmly, or otherwise unable to depart the wearer's head.

My former service just authorized ball hats as an option for general patrol. Mixed reviews; positive on practicality over the peaked cap, more negative on the general appearance, which might be due to the design. Not sure if they have specific policy on how they are to be worn. No doubt someone will wear it backwards or curl the peak into a tunnel.

My former service just authorized ball hats as an option for general patrol. Mixed reviews; positive on practicality over the peaked cap, more negative on the general appearance, which might be due to the design. Not sure if they have specific policy on how they are to be worn. No doubt someone will wear it backwards or curl the peak into a tunnel.
Well, yeah.

Better than a silly-looking flat peak!

We must not allow a "Bill and braid gap!"
images

Ball caps, in uniform? How unprofessional…..🙄

Still waiting on the demise of the beret, they are utterly ridiculous.

They said the same about the t-shirt I believe.

Introducing civilian fashion innovations to the military? Bah humbug!

Back