• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Air Combat Systems Officer ( ACSO )

elsalado said:
Maybe I'm overthinking this, but I've seen so many posts about divorces, air forces guys being on their third wives, wives/ husbands being unable to put up with the lifestyle and general resentment.

Many Army Guys and Navy Guys, and a lot of civilians with "stable" lives, have had more than one wife as well. Reasons for that vary.

elsalado said:
Of course I've also seen posts from people with great family lives too. I've just seen so many horror stories that it has me thinking about it.

Everyone's experiences differ, and there is no way to predict how yours will turn out, regardless of which route you choose.

Join or don't join. There are benefits and sacrifices either way.

For me, the former have far outweighed the latter and I have no regrets for the choice that I made.

elsalado said:
Hello all. I recently got a job offer for ACSO and I am wondering if anyone here knows how often in general ACSOs have to move around. I was told by someone that in general they move every 3-5 years so I just want to confirm that here. I'm just concerned that it would be difficult to have a family life with that constant moving around, including occasionally moving to remote areas. My current girlfriend of 3 years is all but guranteed to break up with me over this and I am already worried about the future, in regards to meeting other women and relationships/ marriage and having children.

If I was going for something like pilot at least I can move to a civilian job after my contract is done if I don't want to remain in the forces, but it seems that ACSO does not have a direct equivalent in the civilian world, which is also a concern.

Others have touched on most of my points but, and I'm not being condescending/facetious, if you're worried about moving around and deploying, and the g/f's reaction to that, you may want to seriously sit down and think about whether any job in the military is for you.  All trades have an element of both (more or less is dependent on trade) and if you're already thinking of those as negative, what will happen when you accept the offer and start getting posted around?

As for job prospects out there post-military, it's true that ACSO doesn't have a direct equivalent but it doesn't mean that planning and management experience doesn't count for anything. 

No worries Dimsum, that's not condescending, those are good points. I have to seriously think about this. If I am already worried about it then joining might turn out to be a mistake for me and I should rescind my acceptance of the offer and open up a spot for someone who really wants to join.

Dimsum said:
if you're worried about moving around and deploying, and the g/f's reaction to that, you may want to seriously sit down and think about whether any job in the military is for you. 

I'll take the other road.  You may want to seriously sit down and think about your future and if your girlfriend is going to be a part of it.

If you shun a career in the military because you are afraid of losing your girl, what happens in 4 years when you lose your girl?  You will be sitting there thinking, "fuck, I should have joined the military". 

I am not saying kick your girl to the curb, I am saying you should go up to her and say "the elsalado train is pulling out and you better hop the fuck on, because it's going to be an adventure".

Side note - elsalado?  As in El Salado?  Sounds like a vegan wrestler.  You'll fit right in with the ACSOs.

Dolphin_Hunter said:
Side note - elsalado?  As in El Salado?  Sounds like a vegan wrestler.  You'll fit right in with the ACSOs.

latest

Dolphin_Hunter said:
not_even_mad.gif

So I'm a winged ACSO looking for opportunities for courses I can take that would open up some career possibilities. Just wondering if there's a list of courses somewhere that breaks down which trade is eligible for what. I've tried searching around but it appears my DWAN-fu isn't the greatest, and no one I seem to talk to knows either.

DPGR used to have a DWAN database of quals, but one of the last "upgrades" by the PA folks got rid of that useful information.

dapaterson said:
DPGR used to have a DWAN database of quals, but one of the last "upgrades" by the PA folks got rid of that useful information.
Yeah I've tried digging in the 2CAD page as well as trying to find some of the schools pages but haven't had much luck.

HPMA
Flight Safety
AOEW
Space Operations
Advanced SERE
Arctic Survival
Aerospace Systems
Pretty much anything thrown on by the warfare folks in Trenton
TEWIC

There's much more, but this should keep you busy for a while...

Cherrysu said:
no one I seem to talk to knows either.

Where the fuck are you? 

Are you newly-winged?  If so, look at Space Ops, Basic Electronic Warfare since they're online and can be done alongside other courses like HPMA and Flight Safety.  Some of the courses Dolphin Hunter mentioned are pretty senior stuff (Aerospace Systems Program in particular).

Also, plug away at AFOD and CAFJOD.

Thanks for the help everyone. I've been killing the PD courses so far. Does anyone have any info on the TACP course? Or the JTAC... I forget which one ACSOs are eligible for.. That sounds like it might be an interesting path to take, just wondering if anyone knows first hand, knows a guy, etc.. Or at least knows how courses like that might be solicited.

Thanks

Cherrysu said:
Thanks for the help everyone. I've been killing the PD courses so far. Does anyone have any info on the TACP course? Or the JTAC... I forget which one ACSOs are eligible for.. That sounds like it might be an interesting path to take, just wondering if anyone knows first hand, knows a guy, etc.. Or at least knows how courses like that might be solicited.

Thanks

That will be after your first tour on Sqn.  I believe the JTAC course is still promulgated via message but I haven't seen any messages for those in a while.

Hi,
I want to enter as an air combat systems officer.
However, what if I don't qualify?  What if I fail the aptitude or screening test, what then?
Do I get booted out for good?  Do I get redirected to another trade?  How long til I can reapply for the job, if ever?
Thanks.

Somethinginteresting said:
Hi,
However, what if I don't qualify?  What if I fail the aptitude or screening test, what then?
Do I get booted out for good?  Do I get redirected to another trade?  How long til I can reapply for the job, if ever?
Thanks.

If you don't qualify, then you might get into your 2nd or 3rd trade choice, if you qualify for those. 

Somethinginteresting said:
Hi,
Thanks.

Depending on your progress so far, you can choose other trades you qualify for (combination of your diploma/degree, CFAT, medical, vision, etc.).

If its scores on one or more aspects of the CFAT, yes there are options to rewrite the CFAT later on again.  I don`t remember the specifics, it might be 3 or 6 months you have to wait.  If you aren`t successful then, you have to show prove of academic upgrading before you can write it for the 3rd and last time.

If it was a medical thing, you could rectify the issue and then be considered;  I mention this because ACSO is aircrew and has specific requirements including aircrew medicals and Aircrew Selection to consider.  I have no idea about the Aircrew selection as my trade didn`t do it when I joined the aircrew community.

So, depending on *what* it might be possibly blocking you from being selection for ACSO, yes there could be options to pause, remedy, and then again proceed with ACSO.

Info on the medical category system including the Air Factor stuff here.  http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-medical-occupations/cf-medical-category-system.page

CFACS stuff found here:  http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/training-establishments/cf-aircrew-selection-centre.page

What is the role of an ACSO in terms of combat? Do ACSO's see any combat (i.e. airlift of wounded soldiers in theatre in the Chinkooks)? Also, when the CAF was in Afghanistan do the long range patrol air crew stay in an air base in the middle east?

I'm just trying to get a grasp on the ACSO's duty in combat. IIRC they fly specific air frames but none of them are combat oriented.

Back