• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Air Combat Systems Officer ( ACSO )

Dolphin_Hunter said:
I know the week option sounds appealing.  However, the BEW course covers quite a bit of information.  Personally I’d recommend the DL method if that’s available to you.

I agree.  It's a bit of a firehose and having the time to do it via DL helped.

Dolphin_Hunter said:
I know the week option sounds appealing.  However, the BEW course covers quite a bit of information.  Personally I’d recommend the DL method if that’s available to you.

Dimsum said:
I agree.  It's a bit of a firehose and having the time to do it via DL helped.

Thanks for your opinion guys, maybe I'll go for the DL if I'm given the option and have the time, much appreciated!

I'm on the first serial of the new ACSO course. BEW is a prerequisite as are AOS-L, AOS-S, and AMT. I don't think Barker College offers a residential BEW course any more. AOEW is still residential though.

AFOD Block 1 also is required to graduate, but can be done while on course if necessary.

Guy Incognito said:
I'm on the first serial of the new ACSO course. BEW is a prerequisite as are AOS-L, AOS-S, and AMT. I don't think Barker College offers a residential BEW course any more. AOEW is still residential though.

AFOD Block 1 also is required to graduate, but can be done while on course if necessary.

Hey Guy,

How long after BMOQ did it take you to complete all the prerequisite courses you mentioned and begin your ACSO Course? I'll be transferring to my local BTL in July and then I will begin doing all those courses (I bypassed BMOQ). It would be great to have an idea how long I could expect to be waiting until I'm able to get on an ACSO serial.

Thanks

TechCrmn said:
Hey Guy,

How long after BMOQ did it take you to complete all the prerequisite courses you mentioned and begin your ACSO Course? I'll be transferring to my local BTL in July and then I will begin doing all those courses (I bypassed BMOQ). It would be great to have an idea how long I could expect to be waiting until I'm able to get on an ACSO serial.

Thanks

I would expect prerequisite training will be completed rather quickly. I haven't heard of long waits for AOS-L, AOS-S, or AMT. Get self-enrolled on BEW and AFOD Block 1 ASAP.

I'm the odd case on my course, as I remustered from another aircrew trade, so I had all the prerequisite courses already completed. The rest of my course mates are DEO, and they all were able to complete BMOQ, all prerequisite training, and be ACSO course loaded in about 1 year. In my case, I was course loaded about 4 months after my effective remuster date.

Guy Incognito said:
I would expect prerequisite training will be completed rather quickly. I haven't heard of long waits for AOS-L, AOS-S, or AMT. Get self-enrolled on BEW and AFOD Block 1 ASAP.

I'm the odd case on my course, as I remustered from another aircrew trade, so I had all the prerequisite courses already completed. The rest of my course mates are DEO, and they all were able to complete BMOQ, all prerequisite training, and be ACSO course loaded in about 1 year. In my case, I was course loaded about 4 months after my effective remuster date.

Ok that's great to know, I recently received my promotion to 2lt so I should be able to register for BEW and AFOD Block 1 now while I await course loading.

Just have another couple of questions... as a career status mbr did you have to pay R&Q while on course or was it considered TD and covered?

What are the  accomodation arrangements while on the ACSO Course? (Number of persons per room, shared washroom, etc.)

Are the AOS-L, AOS-S, and AMT courses done back to back or will I have to travel from here in Kingston on 3 different occasions to complete the courses  prior to heading to winnipeg for the ACSO Course?

Thanks in advance!

(not an ACSO...I can tie my own boots  8))….mine were spread out, I did AMT in Oct, then went back for AOS-L in Nov/Dec and did AOS-S a year or two later in Oct.

Crse availability and *priority* factors in...and your ACSO crse pre-reqs, and along with that 'what' ACSO crse they are loading you on.

They're all great courses, hope you enjoy them!

Eye In The Sky said:
(not an ACSO...I can tie my own boots  8))….mine were spread out, I did AMT in Oct, then went back for AOS-L in Nov/Dec and did AOS-S a year or two later in Oct.

Crse availability and *priority* factors in...and your ACSO crse pre-reqs, and along with that 'what' ACSO crse they are loading you on.

They're all great courses, hope you enjoy them!

Haha that's why I got boots with zippers :p.... I'm hoping to get on an ACSO course beginning in 2019 and completing all prerequisite courses between now and then. This may be a bit optimistic on my part but I think its definitely possible if there isn't a back log for the ACSO and pre-req courses as Guy had mentioned previously. Thanks again for the info!

Hey guys!
I got my offer for DEO-ACSO in July, headed to BMOQ Sep 07. I'm so freaking excited!!!  ;D
Although I'm not too worried about BMOQ (it sounds akin to being on a varsity/provincial sports team.. which I've done plenty!), I am however anxious about trade school.
Any tips you guys can give me?
Like, how can I best prepare myself before heading to Winterpeg, and how to best succeed while I'm there?
Thanks in advance!
So blessed and honoured to be part of this trade :D

Spc_Cdt said:
Hey guys!
I got my offer for DEO-ACSO in July, headed to BMOQ Sep 07. I'm so freaking excited!!!  ;D
Although I'm not too worried about BMOQ (it sounds akin to being on a varsity/provincial sports team.. which I've done plenty!), I am however anxious about trade school.
Any tips you guys can give me?
Like, how can I best prepare myself before heading to Winterpeg, and how to best succeed while I'm there?
Thanks in advance!
So blessed and honoured to be part of this trade :D

If you have a chance to do some on-the-job training at a squadron with ACSOs in it, it will help you see how things work from their end.  Otherwise, a bit of background on aviation (From The Ground Up is a good book) will help but not required.  Don't do it before or during BMOQ - you'll be busy enough.

During the course, be prepared to "drink from the firehose" but also have weeks of doing nothing because of serviceability and other issues.  On the ACSO course (and BMOQ now that I think about it) you'll be working closely with others so help them out, and seek help, when you can.  Don't screw people over to make yourself look good - it may work short-term but it *will* come back to bite you. 

Oh, also don't get a sense of entitlement over NCMs because you're an officer.  That mindset can creep up on you but as an ACSO, more often than not you'll be working with NCMs (AES Ops, SAR Techs, FEs, Loadmasters) that will see that.  Basically, don't be a dick.

Good luck on BMOQ and ACSO training.  Maybe I'll see you on squadron sometime.

Dimsum said:
If you have a chance to do some on-the-job training at a squadron with ACSOs in it, it will help you see how things work from their end.  Otherwise, a bit of background on aviation (From The Ground Up is a good book) will help but not required.  Don't do it before or during BMOQ - you'll be busy enough.

During the course, be prepared to "drink from the firehose" but also have weeks of doing nothing because of serviceability and other issues.  On the ACSO course (and BMOQ now that I think about it) you'll be working closely with others so help them out, and seek help, when you can.  Don't screw people over to make yourself look good - it may work short-term but it *will* come back to bite you. 

Oh, also don't get a sense of entitlement over NCMs because you're an officer.  That mindset can creep up on you but as an ACSO, more often than not you'll be working with NCMs (AES Ops, SAR Techs, FEs, Loadmasters) that will see that.  Basically, don't be a dick.

Good luck on BMOQ and ACSO training.  Maybe I'll see you on squadron sometime.

Thank you so much for the advice, it's much appreciated!!

I'm hoping to get an offer for DEO ACSO FY 20/21.
My CFAT score put me in the 91st percentile. At ACS, I passed for ACSO (made the cut-off for pilot in each competency, but my total score wasn't high enough). My medical went great—20/20 uncorrected vision, blood work looks really good. I bartend at the messes, so I have access to the DLN. I've successfully completed BEW and will be starting AFOD Block 1 after the holidays. Block 2 and perhaps BSOC if I have enough time afterwards.
They offered AEC in July (during interview) because all ACSO spots had been filled. I decided to hold out for a shot at ACSO, and I'm prepared to take AEC this year if I don't get it. 
Is there anything else I can do to be more competitive? CFAT rewrite, more courses...?

Eye In The Sky said:
How are you completing DLN courses if you aren't a CAF mbr exactly, like BEW?  ???

I bartend at the messes, Staff of Non Public Funds. I have my own DLN account. We have to take courses on Ethics, Workplace Harassment, WHMIS, etc. But it's the same DLN, so I just jumped on and did BEW. 

Copy.  Not directly personally at you...but I don't think, if you are a civie, you should have the ability to do that. 

MotherGoose said:

Congrats, though I'm jealous! I completed/passed ACS in Feb, but I'm still waiting for my medical to be approved.

Do you know how many ACSOs they're hiring for FY 20/21?

harlsbean said:
Congrats, though I'm jealous! I completed/passed ACS in Feb, but I'm still waiting for my medical to be approved.

Do you know how many ACSOs they're hiring for FY 20/21?

Thanks.

https://army.ca/forums/threads/132295/post-1607569.html#msg1607569

Back