• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Afghan troops threatened Canadian soldier: records

Wes,

I dont want to be rude - but Irish is one of the safest roads in the country these days (since later in 2005), the IA sit on it.  Yes there are attacks - but minor ones in the grand scheme.  The Aussie contingent (SF excluded) has an AO of 50m left and right of the DFAC on FOB Union.  I work day in and out with Iraqi's are part of our PSD team.  I'd put several of them up against any western non SF soldier, they have my life in their hands days in and days out.  They have a lot more to lose than I can - I only have my life to lose, they have their families, and country.

Your a good guy and I like you - but your looking thru a VERY myopic viewpoint of a CSS soldier who's not had to soldier with these guys (ANA and IA).  These people are the future of their countries - and we have to assume a little risk, if we are every going to be able to leave the county.  Isolating them and treating them like second class citizens since they have a different upbringing/background is racist, and is exactly what we need to ensure is stamped out.  We need to work with them, influence them where we can, and sit back and understand they are not children, they have minds, culture and traditions, we need to respect those, if you dont our high an mighty "pedestal values" are not worth the paper they are printed on.

Infidel-6 said:
Wes,

I dont want to be rude - but Irish is one of the safest roads in the country these days (since later in 2005), the IA sit on it.  Yes there are attacks - but minor ones in the grand scheme.  The Aussie contingent (SF excluded) has an AO of 50m left and right of the DFAC on FOB Union.  I work day in and out with Iraqi's are part of our PSD team.  I'd put several of them up against any western non SF soldier, they have my life in their hands days in and days out.   They have a lot more to lose than I can - I only have my life to lose, they have their families, and country.

Your a good guy and I like you - but your looking thru a VERY myopic viewpoint of a CSS soldier who's not had to soldier with these guys (ANA and IA).  These people are the future of their countries - and we have to assume a little risk, if we are every going to be able to leave the county.  Isolating them and treating them like second class citizens since they have a different upbringing/background is racist, and is exactly what we need to ensure is stamped out.  We need to work with them, influence them where we can, and sit back and understand they are not children, they have minds, culture and traditions, we need to respect those, if you dont our high an mighty "pedestal values" are not worth the paper they are printed on.

I have never 'soldiered' with the IA, but I have seen the results of their overall handiwork outside the wire.

Yes I am no 031. I was out in the RZ many times, as shooter/operator in our LAV in the most dangerous areas of the city, and the countryside in JAM land. The unit was ambused on Irish in Jan 07. Insurgents used 14.5mm cannon from a roof top in an occupied neighbourhood, numerous PKMs and heaps of AKs in a COMPLEX attack. For under a minute we engaged them, as we drove thru the ambush, firing about 500rds mainly .50 API/APIT, and 7.62 4B1T, plus small arms (F88 and F89) from shooter/operators.

The main 25mm on our Type I's was chosen not to be used, as the collatoral damgage was bad enough with what was going on. Numerous En were at the base of the overpass, and were firing with AKs. Dozens upon dozens of 7.62mm small arms strikes on our LAVs, missing many shooter/operators by just cms, all at 70KPH  at dusk. We smashed them! Their 14.5mm was high, sending a green laser beam of tracer over the heads of our CSS convoy. We were lucky. That event made the national news here, so it was signifigant.

This attack was a direct result of Irish being left unattended, and the overall confidence of the AIF knowing the Coaltion was not overal responsible for its security.

Coalition Forces handed over Irish to the IA in the latter part of 06 (Both US and ISF manned these checkpoints until handed over - this was how it was when we arrived), by Jan 07 it was almost back to its old self, with INTSUMs showing a continued increase in En activity. Everyone seen it coming, including the US Forces. For OPSEC reasons, I know you understand I can't go into much more detail.  I have only said what was basically reported on the news. That was then, and its now October. I have no idea the status of Irish now. I have been gone since the end of March. Jan and Feb of 07 was the most dangerous part of the tour, and the most intense for us.

Our Int and threat analysis was also spot on, right down to the most accurate METREPs I have ever seen in my life. Irish was not a picnic when were were there, and at night, all the posts were empty, when they should have been manned. Seen it many times. A dusk they would be there, and at night gone-con. Thats not very professional.

US Forces continued to sweep the road for IEDs, and they too were on the rise. Often they would be marked with chem lights, different colours for being made safe and not.

I am far from a racist, but more of a realist, telling things through my eyes. Sorry but thats how I feel, and I am not alone, nor are you in your thoughts either. I have the mutual respect for you, and what you are contributing there also. So don't forget that. If you are tight with your local IA, thats good. I am not tarring all with the same brush, but overall I don't rate them very high.

My time spent behind the wire I was the PL SGT for CSS (= PL WO in the CF), and I wore numerous hats, with lots of additional responsibility. Sure, we were CSS, but soldiers first and foremost. Out in the RZ, Corps had no descrimination, and we had the exact jobs as all other Corps in the Combat Team. Being an '031' did not make you special. I made sure my guys volunteered as they all were keen, as we all were.

The Unit had been as far north as Tajhi (spelling?) and as far south as Talil, and out east towards the Iranian frontier.
I was at FOB Union for the longest Iraqi tour Australia has had so far. Know it well. Stop in to the Oasis cafe, just  turn left as you get thru the main gate, its on the right. Hell, you have probably been there, ha!

I simply have an opinion on my 207 days in theatre based on my experiences. You and I have entirely different mission statements. The last thing I want to do is 'rustle feathers' between mates.

We just have different opinions on how things are, thats all.

Cheers, and stay safe,

Wes

Again and yes again (and again) EDITed for grammar and spelling, plus clarification

I truly hope you are not insinuating that my time was spent sequestered in a camp, unless of course you consider the LAV and the ground immediately surrounding it a camp. I worked with many ANA units and admittedly some of these units lack ability and even some lacked courage but I never met an ANA fellow that involved himself in the kind of corruption one can easily equate to the ANP. As a matter of fact it was such corruption that fueled the very intense dislike the ANA held for the ANP.  Keep in mind this was back in spring/summer 06 and some much more training and work has been done with the ANA since then.

Back