• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Afghan Medals Process (merged)

-Skeletor- said:
Aren't all CF pers deployed to Kandahar part of the operations agains terrorism in South West Asia?  And to clarify, the last Kandahar roto to get the SWASM was TF 1-06 and I think the Navy gets it now or am I mistaken?

Wrong. There are still plenty of CF pers in Afg (Kabul etc) who are part of the different mandate and who are awarded the SWASM vice the GCS.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall reading about the GCS and noted the fact that it was to be the same medal ribbon, with different mission bars. Therefore, soldier X does a tour to Afghan, awarded GCS w/ ISAF clasp. He then, in the future, deploys on another mission that merits the GCS, he would then only get another clasp for his GCS? That, at least, is how I understood it, and not many people at work seemed to realise that. Conceivably, you could do 6 different tours to 6 different crapholes, and only have one gong (with 6 bars), like the old brit General Service Medal.

If that is true, then I guess this announcement corrects that, and now there are afghan-specific gongs.

Towards_the_gap said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall reading about the GCS and noted the fact that it was to be the same medal ribbon, with different mission bars. Therefore, soldier X does a tour to Afghan, awarded GCS w/ ISAF clasp. He then, in the future, deploys on another mission that merits the GCS, he would then only get another clasp for his GCS? That, at least, is how I understood it, and not many people at work seemed to realise that. Conceivably, you could do 6 different tours to 6 different crapholes, and only have one gong (with 6 bars), like the old brit General Service Medal.

If that is true, then I guess this announcement corrects that, and now there are afghan-specific gongs.

Theatre-specific ribbons on the medals now (the GCS, the GCM and the GSM) with the possibility of tour numerals (if more than one tour to same) instead of theatre-specific bars. That's how I read it.

Towards_the_gap said:

It is NOT true.  Read the release again:
...medals will be displayed on ribbons that indicate the theatre or service for which the medal was awarded...

Additional changes include an adjustment in the criteria to receive the GSM for a support function, from 90 to 30 days, and the establishment of three distinct ribbons for the GCS and GSM.  The South-West Asia ribbon, the Allied Force ribbon to replace the Allied Force bar and the Expedition ribbon to recognize smaller operations conducted in the presence of an armed enemy. 
As of 16 Mar 2010 (eg: yesterday), one could have conceivably deployed to Kabul in 2003 as part of ISAF, and then Kandahar again as part of ISAF in 2008, and would receive no further decorations, ribbons, bars, etc after that initial deployment.  What this announcement means that you get Medal and the South-West Asia ribbon for your initial 30 day service.  Once you accumulate a further 180 days of eligible service you will earn a rotation bar emblazoned with a maple leaf.  So, not one medal, one ribbon with multiple bars indicating multiple missions.

Edit to add: There won't be numerals, Vern, but "rotation bars".

General Campaign Star with South West Asia ribbon:
GCS_SWA_m.jpg

General Campaign Star with Allied Force ribbon:
GCS_AF_m.jpg

I see OP HALO isn't a qualifying service for any of the new ribbons as yet, though I did notice a ribbon for those flying in Iraqi airspace...:stirpot:

MM

Technoviking said:
Edit to add: There won't be numerals, Vern, but "rotation bars".

Seen.

Re-imbursement would still work out the same. 1st tour = no roto bar = no 8 bucks for that.

The roto bar would be equal to the UN/NATO tour numerals, other bars for re-imbursemet. When one is added, the entitlement to 8 bucks per to have the medals remounted to incorporate it as I laid out in my original still kicks in.

Sorry technoviking, I wasn't as clear as I should've been. What I should have said was that previously, the ribbon and medal would've been the same for multiple tours to different missions, only the clasp would be different. Now the medal is the same but the ribbon is different for each theatre.

medicineman said:
I see OP HALO isn't a qualifying service for any of the new ribbons as yet... :stirpot:

MM

I was thinking about that too --- you'd think someone up there would be looking after those pers who STILL haven't been recognized for their service yet as a priority of work ...

Really does go towards reinforcing that 'new' (and absolutely irritating) stereotype that "If it ain't Afghanistan - you it ain't worth shit".

Maybe the Facebook Governor General medal will have an Op HALO bar.    ;D

Journeyman said:
Maybe the Facebook Governor General medal will have an Op HALO bar.    ;D

Chuck You Farley  ;)... you think there will be room for all the GG's you served under on your ribbon  ;D?

MM

ArmyVern said:
Re-imbursement would still work out the same. 1st tour = no roto bar = no 8 bucks for that.

If I have to have my ISAF bar taken off, I should be getting reimbursed for that, should I not?

PuckChaser said:
If I have to have my ISAF bar taken off, I should be getting reimbursed for that, should I not?

Yes.

See the third and fourth sentences of this previous post:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/92653/post-917278.html#msg917278

A change in Honours & Awards, or Dress Regulations which necessitates a change in your medals ... would make the costs associated with the required remounting to comply with the new regulations reimburseable at Crown expense.

PuckChaser said:
What I'm getting from this is that I'll still be entitled to wear the ISAF bar.  Just no rotation bars.

Why not the little numbers we used to get for multiples? Or was that just a UN thing.

LineJumper said:
Why not the little numbers we used to get for multiples? Or was that just a UN thing.

It's a UN and NATO thing (silver numerals indicate multiple tours on UN missions, bronze numerals indicate multiple tours on NATO missions); Canadians are still earning medals and/or numerals today in various active theatres of operations, other than Afghanistan, in which CF personnel are still doing time.

http://www.comfec-cefcom.forces.gc.ca/pa-ap/ops/index-eng.asp

PMedMoe said:
What I'm getting from this is that I'll still be entitled to wear the ISAF bar.  Just no rotation bars.
No.  The revision date of that web page was 26 October 2007.  From the MND's news release:
With the addition of rotation bars, mission bars will no longer be worn on the GCS and GSM

At least with the elimination of the ISAF bar, I'll just have to remove it. Something I can probably do myself.

Technoviking said:
No.  The revision date of that web page was 26 October 2007.
Well crap.  Just got the miniatures done and they were expensive.  Oh well, the bars were screwed up anyway.

Back