• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

AESOp ( MOC 081)

Exciting times ahead for this trade, the ability to fly and NOT be a member of MAG. 

Ditch said:
Exciting times ahead for this trade, the ability to fly and NOT be a member of MAG.

Let's be serious here.  MAG is like the mob - you never "really" leave    :nod:

Dolphin_Hunter said:
Maritime Air Group.

Wow, it only seems like yesterday that Maritime Air Group, Air Transport Group, 10 Tactical Air Group and Fighter Air Group were still reporting to Air Command in Winnipeg...

;D

Good2Golf said:
Wow, it only seems like yesterday that Maritime Air Group, Air Transport Group, 10 Tactical Air Group and Fighter Air Group were still reporting to Air Command in Winnipeg...

Much happier days.

It was just "Fighter Group", though - but the abbreviation for your version (intentional or otherwise) - is a little amusing, in a 1980s way.

Loachman said:
Much happier days.

It was just "Fighter Group", though - but the abbreviation for your version (intentional or otherwise) - is a little amusing, in a 1980s way.

Intentional?  Who? Me? :whistle:

Maybe I was thinking of the Film Actors Guild...

Hey, saw an ad for this trade. Been reading the thread and it looks awesome. Anyone heard of VOT-U's getting in? Haven't seen any.

Also there was a brief for the trade at my base, but I wasn't able to attend. If any of you know of it and could give a summary that would be awesome. 

s4uce said:
Hey, saw an ad for this trade. Been reading the thread and it looks awesome.

It is a very good trade...if your heart isn't set on working 8-4, Mon-Fri and never being away from home.  8)

Anyone heard of VOT-U's getting in? Haven't seen any.

I haven't personally heard of any VOT-Us applying, but...I'm also aware our trade isn't the most widely known/understood one in the CAF as well.  We have a new Recruiting video that should be out soon'ish on the recruiting website as well; we don't fly on SeaKings and Block II Aurora's anymore, the platforms are very modern compared to what the current video shows.

Did you see the CANFORGEN on the VOT-U OFFICER AND NCM CAMPAIGN (CANFORGEN 055/19, available on the Canadian Forces app)?

Did you see the CANFORGEN on the VOT-U OFFICER AND NCM CAMPAIGN (CANFORGEN 055/19, available on the Canadian Forces app)?

I saw the CANFORGEN. The only thing that makes me worry for VOT-U's is that i'm pretty sure COT-U's have pri but personally not too informed on it. It doesn't mention aesop for ACS either so i am not sure about that.

I have a informal meeting with the PSO soon, and hopefully meet the deadline for this quarterly.

s4uce said:
I saw the CANFORGEN. The only thing that makes me worry for VOT-U's is that i'm pretty sure COT-U's have pri but personally not too informed on it. It doesn't mention aesop for ACS either so i am not sure about that.

A COT-U has no more 'aptitude and ability' to be aircrew than a VOT-U because of the "C".  Make sure you are ready for the PSO interview.

ACS isn't mentioned for AES Op because we don't do ACS as part of the selection for the trade.  You can expect to an an initial aircrew medical though and the MO / BSurg will sign off "fit potential aircrew AF2" and then send your medical file for review/determination to AUMB (Aerospace Underwater Medical Board); they are the folks who assign flying and diving medical categories. 

Good luck!

Would anyone be able to send me the PP presentation for this trade? Wasn't able to attend any of the info sessions but after reading 45 pages, AES Op sounds better and better!

I am working towards getting an OT to AESOp. I am hoping to go on a fixed wing with the Auroras. My wife is American and waiting on her permanent residency. We would like to start a family after my training and posting to either Comox or Greenwood. Does anybody have a good idea as to how often I'd be away from home with this job? I was told that Rotary Wing is away a lot more often.

chasesterling said:
Does anybody have a good idea as to how often I'd be away from home with this job? I was told that Rotary Wing is away a lot more often.

You will be away quite often.  I seriously doubt the rotary wing deploys more often than the MH/LRP communities.

Expect to be gone, expect your wife to be pissed off, and don't expect a steady schedule while posted to an operational squadron.

*However, the job is fantastic.  My time spent flying as an AES Op was very enjoyable.  The support families receive from the Wings/Sqns is top notch as well.

Dolphin_Hunter said:
You will be away quite often.  I seriously doubt the rotary wing deploys more often than the MH/LRP communities.

Expect to be gone, expect your wife to be pissed off, and don't expect a steady schedule while posted to an operational squadron.

*However, the job is fantastic.  My time spent flying as an AES Op was very enjoyable.  The support families receive from the Wings/Sqns is top notch as well.

It's changed quite a bit over the past few years. But you can "average" about a 3 week stint every 3 months. Unless of course another OP Impact pops up.

Back