• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

AESOp ( MOC 081)

No idea where he got the information from, I never asked. Good to know though, I wanted to clarify everything before I went in with false information.

Cheers,

:cdn: :remembrance:

AES Ops were payload operators on the UAVs in Afghanistan and some are employed on UAVs (OUTCAN) now.

Tell your friend to stop licking lead pipes re: the CSAR BS.  :nod:

The best way to find out what AES Ops do is to talk to actual AES Ops, not pilots and PSOs.

Good luck with the application!

Eye In The Sky,

Are you permitted to provide us with the BAQC dates scheduled for 2017? If so, can you please post these dates and wheather the classes are full or not?

Thank you for all your contributions to this forum.

Regards,

Eagle Eye View said:
The only date I know so far is BAQC start on Jan 16. Not sure when the next one will be.

Eagle Eye View is the one to ask questions about Wings training in Winnipeg;  402 Sqn is the training establishment in the 'Peg that AES Ops do BAQC and IAQC (wings course) at.  As his profile shows, he is a Warrant Officer and Instructor at 402 Sqn.

I am a Line Sqn LRP type, so that's really my lane of knowledge  Dolphin Hunter has the pulse for current LRP post - Wings training stuff.  We're LRP Snr NCOs who get you after EEV gets to put you thru the ringer.  Then you go to DH's ringer.  Then you come to guys like me and become an official member of "The Pissed Off Wives and Disappointed Kids" club.  ;D

Finished my land survival and head off to Winnipeg for my 3's which start on 16 Jan.

Good stuff.  Enjoy Christmas Leave, once you start the trg it can be demanding in more than one way.

Eye In The Sky said:
AES Ops were payload operators on the UAVs in Afghanistan

Only on Heron.

Sperwer and Scan Eagle were Air Defence (4 AD Regt Royal Canadian Artillery) guys. The Scan Eagle crews (two-man) were all AD. Sperwer crews had a Tac Hel Mission Commander and AD AV Operator and Payload Operator, although at least one AVO (on my/the final Roto) was a Tac Hel Tech.

Door gunners on the left-hand side of the Griffons were Cbt Arms guys (mainly Infantry, but some may have come from the other Cbt Arms. Flight Engineers manned the right-side gun. The Chinooks' two forward guns were both manned by FEs, with a Cbt Arms guy operating the ramp gun.

Hey everyone,

I'm looking at going into AES OPS and the only information I can gather is on the forces.ca website.
Does anyone have any more information on the trade? I want to know what it looks like day to day. Like how often you're in the aircraft, what you're doing when you're not and anything other information.

Thanks  [:)

Wight.M said:
Hey everyone,

I'm looking at going into AES OPS and the only information I can gather is on the forces.ca website.
Does anyone have any more information on the trade? I want to know what it looks like day to day. Like how often you're in the aircraft, what you're doing when you're not and anything other information.

Thanks  [:)

You'll find a LOT of info in the thread linked, have a read there and if there's anything else you didn't see and want to ask about, fire away.  I know myself and a few others have posted some pretty specific info in there on the Wings training and then life after at the next training phase, and finally the first little bit once you are posted to an operational Sqn.

Maybe try starting right about here  http://army.ca/forums/threads/22838/post-1199182.html#msg1199182 at reply # 419.  Ignore the first link in my reply, # 421 it is a link to the AES Op thread you're already in, but back to page 1.

You can skim thru and find the posts with information in them from people in the trade.  Right off the top of my head, there's myself, Dolphin_Hunter and Eagle Eye View who are all AES Ops who've posted a considerable bit of info.

How often you're flying can very.  My busiest month, I logged 112.3 hours (which requires a waiver to fly that much...it might not sound like much but it is), I've also had a month where I only flew 3.2 hours on a pilot training flight (basically doing take offs and landings, flying as the 4th crewman looking after the back end).  When not flying, we have a ton of qualifications to keep current, we do training and simulators, professional development courses, and quite a bit of time once you are a Top Category operator is spent developing junior operators and helping run a crew if/when you are appointed as a Lead AES Op on Sqn. 

There are both planned and last minute trips and deployments, launches if you are holding Standby, etc.  Its a good trade, its a busy trade.  If you're looking for Monday to Friday, 8 to 4 this ís likely NOT the trade for you.

Hello, Does anyone know when are the next courses? I'm currently waiting to go on the BAQC but haven't received a date yet.

Eagle Eye View said:
Next BAQC should start around mid-July with 12 students.
Great! Thank you for the reply. Of course I will wait for the message to come in before anything.

Hey guys, first post. I'm currently going through the application process for AESOp (just finishing my last semester of high school). I've done everything and it looks like it's going well, I'm just waiting to get my medical cleared and hopefully everything is well and I'll be on the waiting list.

My question is: Is the contract length 7 years? During the interview I believe I was told it was 7 years but I'm not exactly sure whether the captain said it may be UP to 7 years or if it is in fact that length of time. The duration is not an issue, I'm just confirming as I would like to make sure I'm aware of all the information regarding the trade.

Thank you in advance.

I'd have to look to see if the TOS (Terms of Service) Sequence for our trade has changed.  It used to be a 5 year engagement for direct entry, I think.  I've sent a reminder to myself to check tomorrow and will update the current TOS Sequence for you.

First post as well, so first off hello everyone.

StoneRock, I'm a DE AES Op that just finished BMQ back in January and currently on OJE in Greenwood. At least in my case and the other AES Op Jr I've talked to, our VIE is 7 years.

Northmar said:
First post as well, so first off hello everyone.

StoneRock, I'm a DE AES Op that just finished BMQ back in January and currently on OJE in Greenwood. At least in my case and the other AES Op Jr I've talked to, our VIE is 7 years.

Sounds like good confirmation for DE VIE length and makes sense.  By the time you get thru training etc you'll be well into that engagement.

Hope you are being gainfully employed on the Wing; there's worse places to do OJE.  :nod:

Took a look today at the relevant regulation, the current TOS Sequence for AES Op is VIE 7 / CE 5 / CE 5 / IE 25.

Back