• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

AERE vs CELE

secondchance

Inactive
Reaction score
I would like to listen folks from both trades AERE and CELE.
Advantages and disadvantages both trades and all information.
Thanks

If you are looking for information on those occupations there is plenty of info on the forces.ca site, watch the videos and read the different tabs. That being said if you've got questions still post specific questions.

Those two are also my occupations of choice so I've got a couple of questions for anyone who can answer

1. This is an unrelated question but how fast do you move through the ranks? I think you start out as 2nd Lieutenant, could you perhaps provide a timeline?
2. What kind of responsibilities will you get for AERE and CELE? I know the general stuff they've got on the website but more specifically, on other threads they've listed position names but I don't know what they mean.
3. I read that anywhere there are planes there will be an AERE officer, could I possibly choose to go on a deployment with the navy? Just one deployment because the navy life seems awesome but not permanently (cause of constant deployments), what chance would I have of doing that?
4. If I were to choose to leave the CF how do these 2 occupations "rank" in the civilian world? Both of these occupations are awesome but based on my experience with the CF which one would be "better"?

I might ask more questions later on if people who've got answers are around.

Thank You,
:cdn: :salute: :cdn:

DarkPheonix said:

Have you read the threads?

AERE
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+AERE&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=GPqSVruCHemM8QfG4pSwBg&gws_rd=ssl

CELE
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+AERE&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=GPqSVruCHemM8QfG4pSwBg&gws_rd=ssl#q=site:army.ca+CELE

Is there no one around here who could provide the answers?

I'd made a thread previously for these questions previously which was merged into the Re: CELE thread. But now I can no longer access the thread cause it is deleted/archived.

Your last post in that thread was made on 26 December 2015. The thread has neither been deleted nor archived. It is still there.

http://army.ca/forums/threads/17932.0.html

First off, as an AERE, let me correct the person who put AERE in the "Support Trade" thread.  AERE is NOT a support trade.  In fact, AERE is operational.  I am an AERE and last time I checked the helicopters at the last two units that I was at didn't fix themselves or the pilots didn't fix them.  I have the same cap badge as pilots, so fix this and put this thread where it belongs.  Not in support trades.

DarkPheonix said:
If you are looking for information on those occupations there is plenty of info on the forces.ca site, watch the videos and read the different tabs. That being said if you've got questions still post specific questions.

Those two are also my occupations of choice so I've got a couple of questions for anyone who can answer

1. This is an unrelated question but how fast do you move through the ranks? I think you start out as 2nd Lieutenant, could you perhaps provide a timeline?

I'm an AERE.  I can answer based on that, not in regards to CELE.  How fast you "move through the ranks" depends on many different factors.  2Lt to Lt to Capt is automatic.  Do some research.  You'll figure this out.  Capt to Major is longer.  Average time is about 8 years, but again this depends on many different factors.

2. What kind of responsibilities will you get for AERE and CELE? I know the general stuff they've got on the website but more specifically, on other threads they've listed position names but I don't know what they mean.

AERE can do many different jobs.  That's what I love about this occupation.  So far in my career I've been at two operational units, taught my trade, been posted to Ottawa, and doing a Master's degree.  The AERE trade is the best, by far, about doing your Master's degree (in many different options).  AEREs, like any officer, are leaders first and foremost (at least that's my opinion).  As a Lt I was responsible for over 150 people at a very busy operational unit. I've been deployed to Afghanistan and countless operational "mini-deployments", G8, Olympics, etc.  Lots of fun.

3. I read that anywhere there are planes there will be an AERE officer, could I possibly choose to go on a deployment with the navy? Just one deployment because the navy life seems awesome but not permanently (cause of constant deployments), what chance would I have of doing that?

Yes, where there are operational units, there will be AEREs.  However, they don't always deploy when the aircraft deploy.  This depends on many factors, mainly how many aircraft are deploying and for how long.  Yes, I have friends who have been posted to Sea King units and have done some time at sea.  How many times you deploy is NOT up to you.  You would serve in the military.  It's not pick and choose.  However, as an AERE it is not a case of "constant" deployments.

4. If I were to choose to leave the CF how do these 2 occupations "rank" in the civilian world? Both of these occupations are awesome but based on my experience with the CF which one would be "better"?

This is a very general question.  A lot of AEREs end up getting jobs with companies that they have worked alongside during their career, but this is usually after 20 plus years of service.  It's not usually a case of doing 5 years and then expecting an amazing job after that based on only 5 years of service.

Thank You,

Scoobs said:
First off, as an AERE, let me correct the person who put AERE in the "Support Trade" thread.  AERE is NOT a support trade.  In fact, AERE is operational.  I am an AERE and last time I checked the helicopters at the last two units that I was at didn't fix themselves or the pilots didn't fix them.  I have the same cap badge as pilots, so fix this and put this thread where it belongs.  Not in support trades.

You're right, those helicopters are fixed by AVN and AVS techs... You don't fly them, or crew them, so you're not operational. I can fix all the radios and deploy all the forward CPs I want, but I'd never imply that I'm just like the combat arms. I'm a combat support trade, and proud of that support I provide. You should be equally proud of the SUPPORT you provide to pilots and aircrews to keep them flying, but you're not running operations, you're supporting other's ability to do so.

As for your cap badge, pretty sure everyone wears Air Ops unless they have a specific approved badge by Branch or are a purple trade.

Scoobs said:

I think you just described what a support trade is. Operational generally refers to the people on the pointy end of things like combat arms soldiers and aircrew. Mechanics, technicians, cooks and clerks are generally considered support. This is because that support enables the pointy end people to do their missions - both operational and support trades are important.

Loachman said:
Your last post in that thread was made on 26 December 2015. The thread has neither been deleted nor archived. It is still there.

http://army.ca/forums/threads/17932.0.html

I was using google to find that thread maybe I did something wrong, my bad.  Could you tell me how I can access my previous questions?

I'm an AERE.  I can answer based on that, not in regards to CELE.  How fast you "move through the ranks" depends on many different factors.  2Lt to Lt to Capt is automatic.  Do some research.  You'll figure this out.  Capt to Major is longer.  Average time is about 8 years, but again this depends on many different factors.

AERE can do many different jobs.  That's what I love about this occupation.  So far in my career I've been at two operational units, taught my trade, been posted to Ottawa, and doing a Master's degree.  The AERE trade is the best, by far, about doing your Master's degree (in many different options).  AEREs, like any officer, are leaders first and foremost (at least that's my opinion).  As a Lt I was responsible for over 150 people at a very busy operational unit. I've been deployed to Afghanistan and countless operational "mini-deployments", G8, Olympics, etc.  Lots of fun.

Yes, where there are operational units, there will be AEREs.  However, they don't always deploy when the aircraft deploy.  This depends on many factors, mainly how many aircraft are deploying and for how long.  Yes, I have friends who have been posted to Sea King units and have done some time at sea.  How many times you deploy is NOT up to you.  You would serve in the military.  It's not pick and choose.  However, as an AERE it is not a case of "constant" deployments.

This is a very general question.  A lot of AEREs end up getting jobs with companies that they have worked alongside during their career, but this is usually after 20 plus years of service.  It's not usually a case of doing 5 years and then expecting an amazing job after that based on only 5 years of service.

Thank You,

Thank You very much for the information. Just to clarify if I were to become an AERE officer would I be stuck in one "role" or would I get different opportunities.

Scoobs said:

This thread isn't mine so I can't really do anything about it. Maybe report it to the moderators?
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thank you Scoobs for the information on the AERE position, anyone from CELE around?

DarkPheonix said:
I was using google to find that thread maybe I did something wrong, my bad.  Could you tell me how I can access my previous questions?

Did you try the link that I gave you in my last reply?

When you get to page 4 you'll be getting warm, but not quite there.

DarkPheonix said:
This thread isn't mine so I can't really do anything about it. Maybe report it to the moderators?

It's staying where it is.

I will try to answer your questions with CELE (Air).

After you received your commission and you are 2Lt, you will have to complete a package called On-Job raining Performance Record (OJPR). You will have to do that package in one of those flying unit (Greenwood, Bagotville, Trenton, Cold Lake or Comox). Not Winnipeg because you will need to have access to the equipment on the airfield. You have to complete the OJPR in 6 months, after that you will go at the school CFSCE in Kingston for 4-6 months. After that you will be promoted to Lt. You will have to wait 1-2 year(s) before being promoted to Captain. 

A Cele (air) officer will have different responsibilities depending on where you will be posted. If you are on a wing, you will be responsible for all communications on the wing such as radios, radars, Share Services Canada(SSC), Security communications and more. Or you can be posted in Ottawa, doing some future planning on acquire IT materials and more.

Don't forget, that anywhere there are air force base, you will need Cele (air) for the communications even overseas.

I am not sure about aere, but I know Cele (air) officer if you to quit the FC, you have a lot of job you can do in civilian world because of your qualifications.

Hopefully, that helps you a little bit even you posted in Feb.

saucos said:
I will try to answer your questions with CELE (Air).

After you received your commission and you are 2Lt, you will have to complete a package called On-Job raining Performance Record (OJPR). You will have to do that package in one of those flying unit (Greenwood, Bagotville, Trenton, Cold Lake or Comox). Not Winnipeg because you will need to have access to the equipment on the airfield. You have to complete the OJPR in 6 months, after that you will go at the school CFSCE in Kingston for 4-6 months. After that you will be promoted to Lt. You will have to wait 1-2 year(s) before being promoted to Captain. 

A Cele (air) officer will have different responsibilities depending on where you will be posted. If you are on a wing, you will be responsible for all communications on the wing such as radios, radars, Share Services Canada(SSC), Security communications and more. Or you can be posted in Ottawa, doing some future planning on acquire IT materials and more.

Don't forget, that anywhere there are air force base, you will need Cele (air) for the communications even overseas.

I am not sure about aere, but I know Cele (air) officer if you to quit the FC, you have a lot of job you can do in civilian world because of your qualifications.

Hopefully, that helps you a little bit even you posted in Feb.

How would I go about if I wanted get into information security? That seems like a really interesting specialty. Can I do anything right now as a high school student to improve my chances? 

DarkPheonix said:
How would I go about if I wanted get into information security? That seems like a really interesting specialty. Can I do anything right now as a high school student to improve my chances? 

If you have a interest on that subject, you will need more than just a high school diploma, but having some computer courses in high school won't hurt. As a CELE (Air) officer, you will need either a engineering degree or computer science degree and you could end up in the cyber branch. Or you can join as a NCM and be a computer tech, but I am not sure which occupation.

Scoobs said:

Just to note, CELE's are in the transition from Support Trade to Operational as well...

Back