• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Advice To New Members + Add ons!

MedTechStudent

Inactive
Reaction score
Ok, I thought this might be a cool idea.  Yes there are army.ca guidelines and regulations.  But since its obvious that not everyone reads them, I thought I would try to start a friendly post full of good and practical advice for new members on this site.  :)

Being that I was a new member not long ago at all, I still remember some big points of interest.   ;)  And they are as followed...

1.)  Fill in your profile information as best you can.  Even if you don't have any military experience, at least your age will give the impression that you have nothing to hide.  It is very difficult to make claims and statements about yourself or other matters if you don't have your own profile done.  People just want to see if you have BTDT (been there done that) before taking what you have to say too seriously.

2.)  Don't post things that you know nothing about, like I did a couple of times.  No one really cares if you can regurgitate second hand facts or knowledge.  People have much more respect again for the people who have BTDT.  The only exception to this I have found is if you find a funny or amazing News Article and want to share it with the masses.

3.)  If your thread gets locked, its not a hate crime against you.  The DS don't hate you just because they don't want the boards being cluttered with 3 or 4 of the same thread with different titles.  Most likely your question has been answered in another thread.  Just use the SEARCH and you will find it.  Again the only exception to this I've seen is if a topic is years old and someone wants to start up a new discussion on it.

4.)  Don't aggressively  argue with the MODS, please, as much as others like me enjoy reading it, you can never win.  There is a difference between politely presenting your points, and verbally attacking members here.  Learn the difference, or prepare to get reamed out big time.  Again this is from personal experience so trust me on it.  When it comes to getting in a wee bit of trouble with the DS, I have BTDT.  ;)

5.)  Just remember, we are all in here for the same reasons.  For the most part everyone in here is here to learn, teach, and become more familiar with the CF community, especially new members.  Be polite and respectful, and you will be treated well in return.  Don't say anything to ridiculous, and you won't be made out to look that way.  But remember, for the most part all the other active members here are here to help out with any questions you might have.  :) 

Those are my big five just from personal experience here, any others that people may have would be great.  Especially from you "milnet.ca fixtures" and DS.   ;D

Take care!

Those that should read and heed, won't.

Or to make it longer for those of us who have ever in a major headquarters: a word to the wise and a paragraph for the rest of us, if you think you don't need to review your posting history in light of the words of wisdom, then the above is aimed directly at you.

Old Sweat said:
Those that should read and heed, won't.

So true.  As most of the important points are covered in their "Registration" these days, we all know that many haven't read them, and thus this "reinforcement", although an excellent attempt, will likely just as easily fail to reach the targeted audience.

Good idea though.

I thought perhaps it might reach the "No Excuse BMQ" level but I doubt that ever happening.  :p

I just feel bad when new members get the wrong impression about the DS here.  People take things far to personally and its their own fault for not reading the rules.  I guess its a little silly of me to think people might respond better to a thread of advice.  :-[

Oh well we can only try right?  :)

Lock er up if need be guys!

Cheers, Kyle

Back