• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Advice Needed - CT

TimBit

Inactive
Reaction score
Good morning everyone,

I thought I'd ask here for advice from fellow military personel. I have been an officer in the PRes, in various trades, for 7 years; as well, I have significant experience in security-related GoC jobs; a M.Sc in Political Sciences; and, best of all, a wife and a kid! I'm nearing 30, and recently came to the shocking conclusion that I disliked "pure" office work (which has been my daily bread for the last 4 years) and that the best time I had in any job was my time in the military. Obvious conclusion was, I should go Reg Force. Now I am blessed with an incredible wife who understands and supports my decision and who is willing to go for military life, but who would still like to see her husband from time to time and not move every two years. So I sat down and went through the list of all officers trades that I would consider, and narrowed it down to 3 (including my current one which I won't talk about... for many reasons), including Airborne Weapons Systems O or Pilot. Now I have to say, with my family situation, I don't feel as action-seeking as some young lads here seem to be. Don't think that I want to avoid deployements and operations, just that I am not interested in a job that will require consistently spending more than 6 months a year away from home, i.e. MARS. I know, for example, that MH pilots initially spend a lot of time at sea; well that would be fine for a few years, just not all the time. As well, I would rather stay clear of the west (sorry to all who hail from there), aside from the obvious training periods...basically, not enough snow (!) in BC and not enough ocean in the prairies. SO... I've considered all the airframes, current and future, and all the developments in ANAV/AWSO and eventually realised that the best job would probably be maritime patrol or SAR.

With all that being said, I'd like to hear from you guys which of the two jobs you think would better suit all of this and offer the best chances to get into one of these roles and what the prospects as far as Quality of Life goes in both these trades. Now don't think I'm only looking for a cushy job with no deployments, I'm not... I want my piece of the action too. As well I don't mind moving, just not every two years. Finally, you should all know that I never was a "flying is my dream" type... this is more of a cold, calculated decision I am trying to make as I am not so young anymore... and believe it or not, have been around the two other elements already.

Thanks to all of you who will take time to even read my posting!

Cheers!
TimBit

TimBit said:
including Airborne Weapons Systems O

Air Combat Systems Officer........

that MH pilots initially spend a lot of time at sea;

It ain't just "initialy".

I would rather stay clear of the west

Unfortunately, where you end up is not up to you so for either trades, be prepared to end up out West.

and eventually realised that the best job would probably be maritime patrol or SAR.

Both of which also operate on the west coast. The number of ACSO positions on both these communities (LRP and SAR) is rapidly decreasing as some of their jobs are being taken over by other trades or will cease to exist in the future.

As well I don't mind moving, just not every two years.

2 years maybe a bit short but a move every few years is the norm. My current posting, at 4.5 years is the longest i have had in 16 years.

Thanks CDN aviator. been reading your posts about Air Combats System Officer (my bad...). In the MH community then, once an ACSO has qualified as a TACCO, he goes to sea, and so on, then staff posting, and then what? What jobs will there typically be afterwards.

As for ending up west... I'd survive ! :) My wife is a foreigner and would like to see most of Canada, so not a biggie... but is it fair to hope for east coast rather than west?
Finally, for posting length, I guess 3 to 4 years would be a bit more "pleasant". Are you aware whether back-to-back or operational-to-staff postings in the same location are frequent?

Thank you!

TimBit said:
In the MH community then, once an ACSO has qualified as a TACCO, he goes to sea, and so on, then staff posting, and then what? What jobs will there typically be afterwards.

I'm not an ACSO and to me there doesnt seem to be any sort of reasoning on how people end up in certain jobs. I have seen guys do their time on Sqn after scool and go to a staff job as their second posting and i have also seen guys who have never left flying jobs.

but is it fair to hope for east coast rather than west?

You can "hope" for whatever you wish....LOL

There are certainly more positions out east for ACSO than there are out west but that will also deminish as the ACSOs loose their accoustics job on the CP-140 and the retirement of the CC-130E. The transport world will also be affected ( as it relates to ACSOs) with the arrival of the CC-130J.

Are you aware whether back-to-back or operational-to-staff postings in the same location are frequent?

Those postings are possible but depends on the location. For an LRP navigator posted to Greenwood, there are more ground positions available then in Comox simply because there are more units on the base that employ ACSOs. I'm sure the same can be said for the MH world.

You'll be in St. Jean for 3 months, and then in Winnipeg for the ACSO course which lasts just over a year (provided you don't wait too long on OJT before the course).

As a Pilot, you'll be in Moose Jaw for a while, so the prairies are unavoidable if you want to be an ACSO or Pilot.

Thanks Elwood... My BOTC (or whatever is called) is done and I'm fully bilingual so hopefully I would skip this kind of stuff until the PD courses. I wouldn't mind the time in the prairies for training... it is more the after training, the posting life that I was concerned/curious about.

Cheers!

TimBit said:
I wouldn't mind the time in the prairies for training... it is more the after training, the posting life that I was concerned/curious about.

Again, the prairies are not strictly a "training" spot for students. 17 Wing Winnipeg has "non-training" units and in Moose Jaw, some students get the pleasure of staying there right after graduation and are employed as instructors. Be careful when you plan out what you would prefer, as often, people set themselves up for disapointment that could have been avoided by facing reality.

My experience at CFANS with students who have very specific posting preferences that are the only one(s) they want is that they can be sorely disappointed when it turns out that either that posting isn't available for their course or that the top guy on the course wanted the same posting and there was only one available.  You're really rolling the dice if you're picking the trade for only one or two postings out of a possible ten or so.  The school will typically attempt to get the students where they want to go, but they are always limited by the posting slots actually available and the ranking of the students on their course.  I have to assume the same is true at Moose Jaw. 

Thanks for your input prima 6.

I don't know if you were at CFANS recently, but if so, can I ask this:

With the restructuring going on in the trade, what other possibilities are there right now but LRP, MH and Fixed Wing SAR? I heard of UAV's and EW, but what happens with these? I would be happy with anything really... I just have exactly that, preferences. I wouldn't mind MH at all... been in the navy for a long time. Not the best for family, but my wife would understand. I really didn't mean to sound pissy about assignments guys... just wanted a reality check for what I'm really hoping for.

Cheers!

TimBit said:
what other possibilities are there right now but LRP, MH and Fixed Wing SAR?

LRP ( in decreasing numbers), MH, Transport ( until all the E/H Hercs are gone and some positions for the CC-150s in the AAR role) SAR (until the Buffalo is gone) , EW  on the Alpha Jets and UAVs are still hit-and-miss.

CDN Aviator said:
Again, the prairies are not strictly a "training" spot for students. 17 Wing Winnipeg has "non-training" units and in Moose Jaw, some students get the pleasure of staying there right after graduation and are employed as instructors.

Just have to add that CFANS has started doing that as well.  It doesn't happen for every course, mind you.

TimBit said:
Thanks for your input prima 6.

I don't know if you were at CFANS recently, but if so, can I ask this:

With the restructuring going on in the trade, what other possibilities are there right now but LRP, MH and Fixed Wing SAR? I heard of UAV's and EW, but what happens with these? I would be happy with anything really... I just have exactly that, preferences. I wouldn't mind MH at all... been in the navy for a long time. Not the best for family, but my wife would understand. I really didn't mean to sound pissy about assignments guys... just wanted a reality check for what I'm really hoping for.

Cheers!

I'm actually there now.  We've been seeing some more unusual postings recently.  There's one guy working with the UAV program over at the Air Div, there have been two guys that went to 437 Sqn to do Air-to-Air refueling on the CC-150 Polaris, three (I believe) have gone to 414 Electronic Warfare Support Squadron and two (soon to be three most likely) have been posted to CFANS as instructors.  We've been seeing a reduction in the number of LRP and MH postings and the rumour mill is saying that the MH postings are going to go away for a while as there is currently a back log in training at 406 Sqn.  Apparently the back log is nearly big enough that by the time everyone waiting is through the Cyclone OTU should be starting up.

prima6 said:
the rumour mill is saying that

That rumour has been going at least since 2004 when i went through CFANS so that should tell you something.

TimBit said:
I never was a "flying is my dream" type... this is more of a cold, calculated decision

That could end it right there.

Motivation is a significant factor in achieving one's wings.

If one does not want them enough, one may never push oneself enough.

See Loachman, I don't believe that. No disrespect... I went through MARS training, which is also quite challenging. And I can't remember anybody whose DREAM it was to become a surface warfare officer. They just wanted to do it, to do the job. I believe if you set your mind to something you can motivate yourself enough... even if it wasn't your childhood dream or something. In fact, I believe you are more likely to panic and freak out if something is your life's dream and things start spinning out of control.

Anyway, just my opinion really...

That may depend upon how one defines "dream".

Regardless, aside from talent and ability, the major factor that I saw in determining success or failure was motivation, which determined, among other lesser things, how much work one was willing to put in.

Luck played a part for some.

One has no control over one's innate talent and ability, or luck. One does, however, control one's level of motivation.

Regardless, my impression was that you did not want this enough to give yourself what I would call a reasonable chance of success. I recognize that impressions based upon a few typed words on the internet are hardly good indicators and I could be wildly wrong - and I would be delighted for you should you prove me so.

You still have to want that goal enough, however.

Some may call that a dream.

TimBit said:
And I can't remember anybody whose DREAM it was to become a surface warfare officer.

I've sure met quite a few who have dreams of being captain of a submarine or surface ship.

In my line of work , those who arrived here due to cold and calculated decisions, dont last long.

Back