• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Advice for women on BMQ and other courses [MERGED]

PuckChaser said:
No, she displayed confirmation bias, and only wanted to hear opinions that validated her ideas. Kinda like the Deschamps report.

Excuse me, but you don't have the right to speak for me. 

Gee u youngsters make an old gal like me feel old lol.

I am 42 years old (soon to be 43), and I just put my application in to the reserves for a med assistant.

I am a very active person (I farm so always carrying bales or pails; as well as a winch driver/operator in the oil field so always throwing straps, dragging chains through mud, etc, as well as a search and rescue volunteer so always out walking doing searches/training). As for a regular exercise program, I dont have one.....always figured I get enough exercise doing what I do lol.

I dont know if I will get accepted because of my age, and my past (criminal record from about 18 years ago), but I am going to think possitive (by thinking positive, I mean harassing them every chance I get lol).

With all that being said, any input on how to start a regular exercise routine? Keep in mind that I live in the middle of no where, and dont have access to a gym or anything like that.....

Thanks for the help in advance!

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Your age will not, itself, be a factor. Criminal histories and pardons have been discussed somewhere on this Site. You should be able to find that/those thread(s).

Hello! Long time lurker, first time poster. Have done a search and did not find anything addressing my specific question.

Looking to ask a question of the females of the forum who have been through BMQ/BMOQ. Have any of you had experience using a Diva cup or one of it's equivalent products during basic? I am especially interested in hearing about the feasibility of using this product during the field exercises.

Any first hand experiences are most welcome! I would also welcome thoughts from anyone who has knowledge of the product and has been through basic, even if they didn't use the product during that time.

If you don't know what I'm talking about then you are probably not the target audience of my question. Google at your own risk!  :)

Cheers!

DivaGal said:
Looking to ask a question of the females of the forum who have been through BMQ/BMOQ. Have any of you had experience using a Diva cup or one of it's equivalent products during basic? I am especially interested in hearing about the feasibility of using this product during the field exercises.

SashaQ said:
While we're on this topic of periods... has anyone used cups like Diva Cup? I just only recently started to and can't be happier!

Can I empty them in the field and put them back in? Or how do you switch tampons in the field?

Thanks mariomike!
I searched that exact phrase (plus others) and got zero hits.  ??? :-[
Even now when I search, the only post that shows up is my own! I must be doing something wrong.
Anyhow, sorry to put you through extra trouble. Back to lurking I go....  ;D

DivaGal said:
Thanks mariomike!
I searched that exact phrase (plus others) and got zero hits.  ??? :-[
Even now when I search, the only post that shows up is my own! I must be doing something wrong.
Anyhow, sorry to put you through extra trouble. Back to lurking I go....  ;D

Pretty positive it wouldn't be an issue, however carrying the stuff to clean it and such may be an issue. Just saying.

If you can tolerate BCPs, one solution is to take certain of the low-dose varieties continuously and suppress your cycle until it is convenient.  Your doctor is the best person to advise you.

The minor inconvenience of carrying around a small package of blister-sealed drugs is much less than dealing with a period and all it entails.  But you do have to take those pills diligently. 

Cheers,

AK

Coffee_psych said:
Excuse me, but you don't have the right to speak for me.
If you can't allow people to talk to you. Your going to have a bad time in the military. You claim that your becoming an officer. That high strung attitude of "you don't have the right to speak to me" will not get you far. Communication is key to a successful team and to the success of the military. Canada even has laws regarding freedom of speech. So when you get mad at people for even having the audacity of voicing their opinions and tell them they did not have the right to do so, is ridiculous. The military has a strong sense of sucking it up and moving onward and getting the job done. I don't even know how you would get past bmoq if you can't accept that people have the right to voice their own thoughts that contradict yours.

In her partial defence, she did not say "speak to me", but "you don't have the right to speak for me" in response to PuckChaser's "No, she displayed confirmation bias, and only wanted to hear opinions that validated her ideas. Kinda like the Deschamps report".

PuckChaser, of course, was not speaking for her, but making an observation - and a perfectly valid one as well.

But you are completely correct regarding attitude and communication.

noahjsc said:
If you can't allow people to talk to you. Your going to have a bad time in the military. You claim that your becoming an officer. That high strung attitude of "you don't have the right to speak to me" will not get you far. Communication is key to a successful team and to the success of the military,like reading "to" when someone said "for". Canada even has laws regarding freedom of speech. So when you get mad at people for even having the audacity of voicing their opinions and tell them they did not have the right to do so, is ridiculous. The military has a strong sense of sucking it up and moving onward and getting the job done. I don't even know how you would get past bmoq if you can't accept that people have the right to voice their own thoughts that contradict yours.

There, that's better, isn't it?

Just wanted to say that this is a very useful thread; it definitely has made me more comfortable with the upcoming process. Thank you!

geekygirl said:
Just wanted to say that this is a very useful thread; it definitely has made me more comfortable with the upcoming process. Thank you!

From one gal to another, good luck --- I love serving in this outfit.  :cheers:

Hi there! I just accepted an offer with the CAF on Monday & I couldnt be happier.
I am looking for an honest answer about women at BMQ. I got the impression that I will likely be one of maybe four to five. True?
In addition, looking for advice on how to prepare for BMQ.
I currently work out every day. Lift a fairly heavy amount of weight (for my size), run 3-4km per day. Anything else I can work on?
Push ups? Hiking? More "body weight" things?
Thanks for your help!

militarymermaid said:

Bettering Fitness Standards while Waiting for BMQ 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/17044.75.html

militarymermaid said:
Hi there! I just accepted an offer with the CAF on Monday & I couldnt be happier.
I am looking for an honest answer about women at BMQ. I got the impression that I will likely be one of maybe four to five. True?
I currently work out every day. Lift a fairly heavy amount of weight (for my size), run 3-4km per day. Anything else I can work on?
Thanks for your help!

On your specific platoon you’re probably looking at between 4-9 females (this is only an average, sometimes more, sometimes less) TO START. Guaranteed you’ll lose at least one or two females, due to injury, illness and quitting. (‘Same goes for loss of males as well, and again, those numbers vary.) You’ll meet many females though as course progresses.

For the most part I enjoyed course. Obviously there were a few things I could do without, but many aspects were fun. Stressful at times, yes, but fun. You’ll meet people you connect with very easily and you’ll meet people you clash with from the start. You just have to find a way to work together and get it all done. The ease of creating platoon cohesion depends on the people within it—some platoons come together much quicker than others.

Ref “preparing.” I encourage you to please read through some of the threads about what to expect and specific targets. There’s a lot of good information floating around in the recruiting threads. It sounds like you’re on the right track, but upper-body strength, especially for females, is extremely helpful. The better it is, the easier you’ll find basic. Be able to pump out at least 25 push-ups (hands positioned below shoulders, so more tricep strength), deadlifts are very helpful, be able to run 8-10km without feeling like you’re doing to die. The better your cardio, also the easier you’ll find basic.

You’ll encounter people who are in bad shape or just mediocre. Don’t be one of them. Your risk of injury is greater not being fully physically prepared. You’re over-tired, hungry and stressed in a way you’ve probably not experienced before, so your body wont be as resilient.

Overall, try to enjoy the experience. While you’re in it, it sucks sometimes. But it flies by when looking back and a lot of good memories are created. Best of luck.

militarymermaid said:
Thanks for your help!

Work on your 'imposter syndrome' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impostor_syndrome

Everyone on Basic Training has it. It's just that women can suffer more from it because it's a traditionally male environment. My experience is that women can make excellent soldiers, just like anyone else, but many don't believe they can do it, which is complete BS.... and the biggest problem.

My advice is to give it 150% all the time, every day, and don't listen to the interior critic. Except the one that says 'You can do better' :)

This might sound silly, but as a woman that typically doesn’t wear my hair back is there any advice on the military hair bun requirements? I think I need to practice my bun skills. Also, have any women that are on oral contraceptives considered skipping their periods while on basic? I am contemplating it.

Brucewillis said:
This might sound silly, but as a woman that typically doesn’t wear my hair back is there any advice on the military hair bun requirements? I think I need to practice my bun skills.

This may help,

Hair Regulations - Female Members of CF 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/35327.0
6 pages.

Brucewillis said:
Also, have any women that are on oral contraceptives considered skipping their periods while on basic?

Highlighted is discussed in this thread,
https://www.google.com/search?rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-CA%3AIE-Address&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&ei=_iwDW52XCYjPjwSNkq-YCQ&q=site%3Aarmy.ca+periods+%22Advice+for+women+on+BMQ+and+other+courses%22&oq=site%3Aarmy.ca+periods+%22Advice+for+women+on+BMQ+and+other+courses%22&gs_l=psy-ab.3...164366.172676.0.173082.6.6.0.0.0.0.137.509.5j1.6.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.LCV8HU30i9Q

Brucewillis said:
This might sound silly, but as a woman that typically doesn’t wear my hair back is there any advice on the military hair bun requirements? I think I need to practice my bun skills. Also, have any women that are on oral contraceptives considered skipping their periods while on basic? I am contemplating it.

Use gel/product in damp hair and those bun-makers, available at any drugstore or even some dollar stores. ‘Super quick and easy. A good hair net and a couple of bobby pins and your hair won’t move. (The product is a must, as it helps control fly-aways, which staff will look for.) I find my hair to be much less sturdy when I’ve made my own bun, even using a hair net and bobby-pins. The aid keeps the bun in place and tighter much longer. (Caveat: If your hair is exceedingly long and/or thick, some people find the bun can be too large and it interferes with the beret, so you might need to cut your hair.) There are many how-to videos on YouTube and/or Instagram to get you started if you’ve never tried one before. The mesh type will slip less throughout the day and is generally less expensive, the other provides a more sleek and natural look.

Ref skipping your cycle: Yes, some females purposely take their pills right through course in order to avoid the hassle. Whether or not that’s a route you specifically want to take is up to you. You know how your body will handle the adjustment.

Attachments

• E2109961-6189-457F-857C-56E20710E3FC.jpeg
    E2109961-6189-457F-857C-56E20710E3FC.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 492
Back