• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Advice for women on BMQ and other courses [MERGED]

Sorry for  my :highjack: but If there is no civilian jobs that you are passionated about, or no civilian job in which your career is well engaged, why not switching for a full time career in the regular forces, specially if the trade of main interest is only offered by the regular forces.

However, take it with a grain of salt, I am not a career manager, just an ordinary citizen.

Keep us posted.

Cheers,

Now Tess, you can't behave here like you can over at the British Army Rumour Service!  (BTW, M-D-N's back!)

And I want to second all the appreciation given to the cooks here!

Their's is undeniably the hardest training in the Armed Forces.

Because it certainly seems like no one's passed the course yet!

I joke!  Don't hate me!  ;D

Congratulations to anyone who completes BMQ, but especially those who are considered "old" . Keep it up. No matter what your rank is, the younger ones tend to look up to you.

Great stuff to remember here!  kind of like when I went to college I kind of looked up to a class mate that was about 15 years older then me.  She seemed to have so much life experience! 

You know, there is an old adage that says "you're only as old as you feel"  Well, hopefully soon I'll feel my age, then gratuate to feeling younger.  lol  ;D

TFLY said:
You know, there is an old adage that says "you're only as old as you feel"

I prefer the Groucho Marx version: A man is as old as the woman he feels.

Best of luck on your journey, TFLY.

I started the process in June of this year.  I have passed all the stages so far...reference check, interview, both medicals, CFAT, and the Fitness Test.  Now just waiting for the good word from Ottawa and I could be on BMQ as soon as January.

Like you, I had my doubts about getting in, and the uncertainty of being taken seriously at my age.  The recruiters, other members, and the good people on this board set me straight.  If you are willing to give it your best, it seems age is just another number.  Since I got serious about applying, I've been running, doing pushups and situps, and working the weights more in the last six months than I had in the last six years.

I feel like I am in the best shape I've been in,  in over a decade.  And I was in good shape before.  We'll see if the CF will take an old dog like me...I'm 43.

Great to hear "Crusty"  I am still waiting to get a call to proceed.  So no tests or medicals or interviews yet.  But that's ok, it gives me  more time to get fit.  I need it.  :)

4Feathers said:
Congrats CG, that took a lot of determination.

Determination, lots of hard work, and the support of my loved ones (my hubby especially) got me through it. :)

zybot said:
Hey I just turned 39 and I`m going for this. My only question is whether I should go Reg or Res. (I`m handing in my Application in January.) And with my choices not being available until April, I probably won`t get to BMOQ until I`m 40.    :eek:

You have to consider what is best for you in your situation, Zybot. I started out reg force and was slapped with a custody bid from my ex in the early weeks of basic training, so I fairly quickly determined that I needed to rethink the whole reg vs. res thing. I am now a reservist in a completely different trade than what I started out as, but I will have physical custody of my daughter again at the end of this school year after my 3s are done, so I have no regrets about my change of heart. Family comes first for me. Also, my husband has said that he will support me if I want to switch back to reg F when our girls are older (and I probably will, at least for a while) and if I want to switch trades at some point (I guess I will see how much I like the one I am in and what options there are ;)).

There are positives and negatives to both components, so just take inventory and figure out which suits you best at this time. You can always CT later if your circumstances change. I know tons of people who have done both reg and res over the course of their careers. Ultimately, we are all on the same team doing the same jobs.  :yellow:

Celticgirl said:
You have to consider what is best for you in your situation, Zybot. I started out reg force and was slapped with a custody bid from my ex in the early weeks of basic training, so I fairly quickly determined that I needed to rethink the whole reg vs. res thing. I am now a reservist in a completely different trade than what I started out as, but I will have physical custody of my daughter again at the end of this school year after my 3s are done, so I have no regrets about my change of heart. Family comes first for me. Also, my husband has said that he will support me if I want to switch back to reg F when our girls are older (and I probably will, at least for a while) and if I want to switch trades at some point (I guess I will see how much I like the one I am in and what options there are ;)).

There are positives and negatives to both components, so just take inventory and figure out which suits you best at this time. You can always CT later if your circumstances change. I know tons of people who have done both reg and res over the course of their careers. Ultimately, we are all on the same team doing the same jobs.  :yellow:

Thanks for the info CG  :salute:

I have decided to go Res force due to my personal situation. When I discussed this with my better half, we both went over the information and decided that Res would be the best for the both of us.

Having a reserve Naval base within walking distance from where I live and an Army base about 30 minutes away by car, I figure that the reserves are the best choice for me. At least, for now. I plan to hand in my application in January and hope for something afterwards.

Good luck, Zybot! I'm sure you will make the right choice for you and your family. Cheers!

:christmas happy: First off, my congratulations to all who have passed BM(O)Q this year.  IIRC, my basic in Cornwallis was no cake walk!  :warstory:
:snowman: Secondly, IF you think it's going to be tough, it probably will be.  You are only as young as you feel or want to be!  Years ago, there was no online source of info about recruit school, you just went with all the fears to go with it.  Nowadays, you have this site to qualm or heighten your fears. If you take everything they throw at you with an ease of nature and say what's next, it'll be an easier walk...or run in some cases.
:warstory: When I went thru POET at 42 (I already had 22 years in!) there a a 49 yr old guy just off his BMQ.  He and I were usually at the front of the runners on PT.  It's not how tough you think it will be, it how your head wraps around it.  Like in the old days of Petawawa, put you head down and just do it!  You'll be proud of yourself when you cross the finish line looking back and saying "HOLY F&*%, I DID IT!!!"
I've seen old 19 yr olds and young 45 yr olds.
I wish you all good luck and a Merry Christmas  :cdn:

Thanks BYT Driver, I agree totally.  Everytime I work out and find it too much and say "I'm never going to get through basic" I scold myself and say "whatever you think you're right" so then I quickly change it to "this is too easy and basic will be a breeze"  Maybe I'll find a happy medium in there and do just fine!  :)

Merry Christmas all! :christmas happy:

Hello, first time to post. I understand as I am 46, and I am starting recruit school as an RMS Clerk in borden on Jan 11, 2010.

Back in June when I went to do my first timed run, to see where I was at? I thought to myself, "Am I insane?" I was 100 pounds overweight... but, had I quit that day, I wouldn't be where I am today. Almost 50 pounds lighter! I'm also stronger and determined.... don't let one day of working out, bring ya down. Just get out and take things one workout at a time. Talk positive to yourself... and, don't be your own worst enemy!

TFLY
Anytime you feel sorry for yourself because you're older than the other recruits, slower,more out of shape,Take longer to heal- look at your children and believe that all the pain and suffering you are going through means the world will be a better place for your kids.

Anytime you feel sorry for yourself because you're older than the other recruits

Well, I don't feel sorry for myself really (although I'm not fond of these new found crows feet) but I will keep this in mind.. 
look at your children and believe that all the pain and suffering you are going through means the world will be a better place for your kids.

Thanks Flawed Design  :nod:

I thought I would give a little update since I first posted this thread.  I decided I was going to do this come hell or high water so since then I have started a running program (I suck at this, but Meh) A strength training program (will meet those requirements with no worries) and I have now implemented swimming as part of my regular routine.  It's taking some time, but I'm seeing results!  Very happy!

I have done my CFAT and qualified for all officer trades but one (maybe air navigation?) Smoked the interview and did pretty good in the medical.  Had to get a couple documents filled out by my Dr. and waiting to hear from Ottawa on that. 

Now I'm waiting to hear if I'm accepted for the ROTP program.  That won't be until April sometime.  In the mean time, I am currently being enrolled in a three week program in Borden for the month of April.  Pre Training of sorts.  I'm very excited!  I have also looked into doing some training at the Shearwater Sports Facility and hopefully get the aid of the FI on staff there. 

So, yes I am determined and doing everything I can to be ready.  Doesn't change the worry I have about some of the matters at hand....But, I'm a big girl and I'm sure I'll be able to handle it.

I would also like to thank, ArmyChick for all her help with this.  You have been Great!  :salute:

Thank you all for your encouragement!

Back