• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Advice for women on BMQ and other courses [MERGED]

Holy cow, where do I start?

Reading your initial post I would think that all your issues came about more because of your attitude than because you have different equipment. Seriously, I've been 15 yrs and, although I may have had to deal with dipsticks, never to the extent you portray.  As a previous poster asked, did you ever actually report any of this?  Never pass a fault.  If you do you're no better than the person who started the problem.

To other women reading this thread, don't be put off by this one person who is so obviously outside the norm or our collective experiences.

Her experiences are an example, that although there are checks in place, and training to prevent Harassment and Prejudice, there are still many immature people at the early stages of their careers who have not matured enough to realize their errors.  Society is changing, but change does not come instantly overnight.  It takes time.  The onus is on all of you to create and maintain the correct work environment.  (If you want to read about what entails the "Work Environment", research the policy on Harassment.)

Myriade - Everyone's point is that there are mechanisms in place to keep harassment from happening. If it happened to the level you describe, it is because you allowed it to continue - not because that is the treatment all females should expect when joining the CF.

muskrat89 said:
Myriade - Everyone's point is that there are mechanisms in place to keep harassment from happening. If it happened to the level you describe, it is because you allowed it to continue - not because that is the treatment all females should expect when joining the CF.

That's a good point. I also see that particular experience as the exception of all my OWN experiences so far. It's the only time where I ever had to deal with that either on course or working a contract. The only reason I posted it, is so any reader could see both extremes. The first question I asked friends with military experience (before I joined) was, tell me about the negative aspects of the job. It's not everyones approach but just in case it's someone else's, there's something to keep in mind.

mariomike said:
Myriade, you are applying as a Med Tech?
If so, you will be receiving preceptorship.
You will do fine!
Children respond well to female medics. It's easier for a female medic to work on females. Especially rapes and OB/GYN cases. Women are better at diffusing "domestics". You will protect your male partner from liability when handling female patients.
On the other hand, I have been told by female medics that they feel violent drunks are more threatening towards them. I also think they are more prone to burnout and tend to vent stress more than men. But, that's just my opinion, and I could be wrong.
I must admit that, because you are so often alone with each other, being accussed of sexual misconduct was a worry I sometimes had in the back of my mind, until I got to know her better.
I was very impressed at how well female medics handle trauma.
Partners must be able to work  independently without direct supervision. It's ALL about two partners having confidence in each other. Because, s/he is all you've got out there.
Did I mention marriage partner jealousy of the work partner? Please don't shrug that one off.
There's other thing like heavy lifting ( one gets the feet, and one gets the head, which is the much heavier end ) mechanincs, extrication and forcible entry, overpowering psychiatric patients, and crowd control ( that can be truly terrifying ). And being "street wise". It's dirty, no FILTHY, job.
You must be a good driver too, and know your streets like the back of your hand at night.
I hope this helps.

WTF? Are you against this stereotype and this type of harassment or are you just describing the the norm for the city you used to work for and providing a job descriptor for budding Moronto paramedics. Now that you've jerked another thread around to your civie EMT point of view, do you feel better? You are the classic example of an enabler. You have no military experience, but feel the need to come here, once again, and drag the thread completely off the track, and fulfil your own egotistical needs. How about leaving military shit to  military people that know what they're talking about, and confining your comments to those that want to drive a meat wagon in Moronto.

You need to work on not keeping things bottled up like this, RG.  Let it go and tell us what you REALLY think.  :D

mariomike said:
Did I mention marriage partner jealousy of the work partner? Please don't shrug that one off.

Now that one I will admit to having to deal with.  I recall meeting the wife of my flight instructor and her telling me she was initially worried about our going on a cross-country flight trip together...until she and I spent the night in the mess feeding each other shooters.  ;D

My response to the wives who are worried about the goings on during exercises and overnights where there are women in the mix: "I'm more shocked that you don't trust your husband to behave than what you think of me.  After all, you don't even know me, but you should know your own husband."

That usually quiets them down a bit.

I just got home.  She will have to do a preceptorship eventually. I was only speaking to that aspect. Sorry if any offence was taken. I will remove the post.

Sorry.
mariomike said:
I just got home.  She will have to do a preceptorship eventually. I was only speaking to that aspect. Sorry if any offence was taken. I will remove the post.

Sorry. Won't work this time. I quoted your post in my response thread, and it will stay there for everyone to read.

I removed it out of - sincere - respect to you.
Sometimes, it's difficult on a computer to know what some people will find offensive.
I am against any type of harassment.
Perhaps this study by a university is more accurate than my memory:
http://pdm.medicine.wisc.edu/gonsoulin.htm
As far as my military experience is concerned, I was <snip the word "just"> a reservist, and it was a long time ago. I subscribed to learn more about the military.

MM, never sell yourself short by saying 'I was just a reservist'. We all bleed red and WRT your profile, 9 yrs of service in the CF, and reaching the leadership role of MCPL is a milestone (EDITed only for the spelling mistake of this word) in anyone's career (PT or FT we all contribute somehow), whether it was 30 yrs ago, or 3 yrs ago.

Good on ya for doing your time, regardless of your current civvy occupation, which alone one must admit, one has to be special to do - I could not.

Respectfully,

Wes

Thanks, Wes. As a Med Tech, Myriade must do her preceptorship with a civilian crew on the streets. It is mandatory. I can assure you she was not traumatized or offended by my honest reply.

I regret that I ever left. I envy the young men and women who are joining. I also worry about them.
I apoligise for being such a knuklehead sometimes. I am determined to change my ways.

mariomike said:
I envy the young men and women who are joining. I also worry about them.
I apoligise for being such a knuklehead sometimes. I am determined to change my ways.

Ditto :salute:

Hello girls and boys. Glad there is a little post for us.

I am so happy I saw comments about struggling with push-ups, I wanted to add that the medic during my medical said to me that ''us women aren't MADE to do push-ups'' like the shape of our body (Breasts, hips...etc) But anyways a month ago I could barely do one and now I can do 6! I am so happy.

About the Physical test they said that I will get it the first week I am on my BMQ. How can I work out on my grip?? I doubt I am that good of a ''gripper''  ;)

Thanks again!

May

Give this topic thread a scan, it has been found helpful before for grip test info seekers.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/25153.0.html

Unfortunately, there is a lot of myth surrounding the proper way of building grip strength. Sitting in front of the television with one of those little 'gripper' machines will not build any sort of significant muscle mass.

Like most muscle groups, you need to overload your muscle to gain mass. What you want to do is work the forearms, plain and simple. Well, maybe not simple, but plain.

The Flexor digitorum is one of the many muscles located in the forearm that helps flex the wrist and fingers. Therefore, increased forearm muscle mass will improve your grip.

How, you say? Well, with a tilted eyebrow let me suggest some old-school stuff.
- Deadlifts are an excellent way to help build forearm muscle, grip, and the back
http://www.5min.com/Video/How-to-Do-The-Deadlift-with-Proper-Form-122696451

- Doing a chin up with a towel. I know it's harder for the ladies (I can only pump out a lame 11 or so), but with a towel your forearm muscles have to work harder to grip the bar as the towel is not naturally gripped against the bar.

- Rolling. This is another oldie but a goody! If you go to a local gym they should be readily available. It's that piece of wood tied to a string that holds small weights on the end.

Just be careful not to overdo the training on forearms. IF you are going to the gym and using weights, when you do conventional upper body exercises, the forearm is usually a secondary muscle that is being used in most cases, hence the deadlift, for example. The deadlift targets the lower back, primarily, but targets the biceps and forearms, secondarily.

Given that your BMQ is in October, you should have a decent amount of time to be a better 'gripper'  ::)
Cheers

Apart from push-ups and sit-ups which I can find plenty info on, curious if is there is site or info for women on building arm and upper strength at home without needing to go to a gym or buying any equipment? Especially without any accessible way to do chin-ups, at least for those who are 6'0" and can hold more than 180 pounds.

So far trying to do (as in sticking with a routine) to work on the arms apart from just push-ups, like using my roller skates or food cans as weights. I would try a gym and such, just not affordable right now.

Beyond that, keeping up with some endurance and lower/core strength through derby practices, and this past month making a bigger effort of skating everywhere. Not sure how that will translate to running/jogging, but I know can skate average of 5 to 7 km in under 30 minutes. I may have to go skate at the F1 track at Jean-Drapeau to confirm.

I am big fan of Sarah Connor/Linda Hamilton in Terminator 2, especially with all the physical training she gone through. :p

Back