• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Advantages of having "semi-skilled" added to my file.

UnrulyCanuck

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have a question for you? I'm interested in the Traffic Technician MOC. I've already written my CFAT and I'm going for my medical next week. I've already worked in this capacity as a civilian at an airport in the Maritimes serving three airlines. I mentioned this to the Corporal on the phone and she asked me to obtain proof from my last employer, describing my duties so I may be listed as semi-skilled and add the info to my file.

Does being semi-skilled help with promotion or provide other perks down the road?

Being semi-skilled may get you a higher IPC level on entry.  Depends on the qualifications.

MedTechStudent said:
I can sew!  :D  Does that mean I get to rein in the extra benjamins?!

Benjamins?! We haven't been annexed by the Americans yet... Let's hope we keep using our dead Prime Ministers for a long time to come.  ;D

UnrulyCanuck said:
Benjamins?! We haven't been annexed by the Americans yet... Let's hope we keep using our dead Prime Ministers for a long time to come.  ;D

Hehe sorry, so you say you were an ATC at a civilian airport then?  Was it fun having that stressful a job?

I mean it can't be all it seams to be on "Pushing Tin" right?  :p

Traffic Technician and Air traffic Controller are two very different trades.

PMedMoe said:
Traffic Technician and Air traffic Controller are two very different trades.

Well I didn't know that  :crybaby:

Thats why I ended my ATC sentence with a question mark. ;D

What is the Traffic Technician then?  I'l make another guess and say its the personal who direct aircraft on the ground with the cool glowing sticks?

Nope.  Traffic Techs are "Movers" in that they move people, equipment, etc.  Usually work at CMTT (shipping & receiving), an AMU (Air Movements Unit) where they load and unload aircraft of equipment and passengers or at Base Traffic where they arrange movement of your F& E (furniture and effects).  They used to book all flights, military and civilian but now I think they only do military ones.

How do I know all this?  Because I used to be a Tfc Tech.  ;D

PMedMoe said:
Nope.  Traffic Techs are "Movers" in that they move people, equipment, etc.  Usually work at CMTT (shipping & receiving), an AMU (Air Movements Unit) where they load and unload aircraft of equipment and passengers or at Base Traffic where they arrange movement of your F& E (furniture and effects).  They used to book all flights, military and civilian but now I think they only do military ones.

How do I know all this?  Because I used to be a Tfc Tech.  ;D

Thank you  ;D

Learn something new every day.

Canuck,

As far as becoming a traffic technician (Tfc Tech) your civvie qualifications are good, but will not do too much as far as advancing you in the trade in the initial phases.  You will still have to do the Tfc Tech QL3 course, etc.  Your work experience should be able to help you progress quickly in the trade if you have the desire and drive.  Do you know much about the trade?  What have the recruiters told you about us?  I'm interested to see what they have to say.  I have worked in every aspect of the trade (currently flying as a Loadmaster on the CC-130 Hercules) and if you have any questions....PM me.  I'll answer what I can.

Back