• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ads for Recruiting ?

ironman2002

Inactive
Reaction score
please can anyone tell me why there is ad on TV for recruitment in the Navy, the center is telling me that every trade is CLOSED??????

We may be closed to recruiting, but we're not yet on target for wasted spending for the year!  ;)

(The truth is, the advertising dollars were probably spent a long time ago, and the media are contractually obligated to air the ads, whether we're taking people or not.)

To me that a waste of money that could be use else where ,trying for 1yr to join very disappointing

ironman2002 said:
To me that a waste of money that could be use else where ,trying for 1yr to join very disappointing

These ads were not produced this morning.  They were paid for and produced quite some time ago.  If they were not aired, then it would have been a colossal waste of money, just like the EH 101.  >:D  We would have spent our budget for Advertising and seen nothing in return.  Now we have ads produced and being aired, and when people see them they will think about joining.  So it is up to you to keep yourself in a good position to be recruited, as many more people may want to join when the gates open again, and they may be better qualified than you.

ironman2002 said:
please can anyone tell me why there is ad on TV for recruitment in the Navy, the center is telling me that every trade is CLOSED??????

They are always taking applications for ROTP.  And from what I heard last week directly from the mouth of a recruiter, they were still recruiting for certain Navy trades.  If you're interested in Physio or Pharmacist that's still open too.

Good point George.

But the fact that people are getting turned away from the recruiting center and told to come back in April is puzzling to me.

With the ships short of personnel, would not a slight over recruitment of Naval trades (say 5%) give the target number based on attrition through the training systems.

I am sure there is some legal Ottawa jargon to say no, but it does not make sense to me.

If the recruiters are not needed until April, we sure could use a hand until then.

Just a thought

HFXCrow said:
Good point George.

But the fact that people are getting turned away from the recruiting center and told to come back in April is puzzling to me.

With the ships short of personnel, would not a slight over recruitment of Naval trades (say 5%) give the target number based on attrition through the training systems.

I am sure there is some legal Ottawa jargon to say no, but it does not make sense to me.

If the recruiters are not needed until April, we sure could use a hand until then.

Just a thought

It's up to each trade to say how many people they need recruited each year and that doesn't come out until April.  People interested in joining the CF are asked to apply at the end of January so that some of the initial work can get done prior to the new numbers coming out.

The issue is that there is a huge interest in joining the CF right now.  Within 6 months into the new recruiting year most of the positions had been filled.  This could be because of the advertising campaign, this could be because of the economy.  Who knows.  I would just recommend that potential recruits go to a CFRC at the end of Jan and get some of their paperwork started.

I have to admit I thought the same thing. I see the ads and it says "WANTED:" a bunch of jobs are attached to the wanted and it says the website. But what cracks me up is "We want people! This job is cool! Come do this job! But...we don't want you until April and were not hiring right now."

You have to understand that it's not just "We need you RIGHT THIS MINUTE." It's far more complex than he-said-she-said-the-tv-said.

Advertising is publicity. You need to continually be generating interest in the military, to continually be planting ideas in young minds. Just because trades that you are qualified for are filled until April (which is not that far away, military-paperwork-timeframe-wise), does not mean that someone can't come in and get information about the navy as a future career choice.

It also celebrates the navy's 100th centennial by having some great publicity out there. Hell, I've been interested in the navy since I was 12, and the ads playing on TV right now just reaffirm my interest.

Lastly - as Mr. Wallace mentioned - 'the more, the merrier'; I'd rather have a very large group of candidates applying in April, all of whom have been waiting for months, and then have the recruiters be able to select only the best of that group.

To sum all that up: It's not all about you and it's certainly not a waste of money.

George Wallace said:
These ads were not produced this morning.  They were paid for and produced quite some time ago.  If they were not aired, then it would have been a colossal waste of money, just like the EH 101.  >:D  We would have spent our budget for Advertising and seen nothing in return.  Now we have ads produced and being aired, and when people see them they will think about joining.  So it is up to you to keep yourself in a good position to be recruited, as many more people may want to join when the gates open again, and they may be better qualified than you.

George Wallace's advice is probably the soundest advice you can take.  It is unfortunate that the recruiting process is such a strange confusing roller coaster ride.  It all stems back to the fact that everything is based off of budgets.  There is a budget for TV ads, which is just part of the total recruiting budget.  There are budgets for all units which in turn is divided up by that unit into smaller budgets for various purposes.  I could go on.

The underlying point here is that someone(s) responsible for creating these budgets based off of need.  Supply and demand.  Its basic economics.  In the big picture, those who are responsible for creating National Defence budgets are in Government.  The Federal government makes their decision base on what they think the people want.  Why do they listen to the people?  Because they vote.  If we really want to see more military jobs, more individual voters need to make a case for the allocation of more funds to National Defence.  Otherwise we it would take another war or attack on Canadian Sovereignty to get the Gov. in gear.  I think we can all agree that at that point it would be too late.

Do some research potential threats, crunch some numbers, and I would be willing to bet that you would see how easily the Canadian Forces could be overwhelmed with its current numbers.

Back