• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ADHD, ADD, and why we can't get in rants......

loganmoore said:
Infantry has been my lifelong dream, but I could settle for something else as long as I'm in uniform. Thanks.

There is a reason why the infantry resonates with you. It's not a matter of just getting into the uniform it's a matter of being where you're supposed to be. Don't settle for something else on the account of dickhead doctors or a shitty medical system.
Reapply again, take that letter (make a few photocopies) and make a big deal about it. Someone being lazy isn't worth you losing a career in the Forces over.

Absolutely keep going.

If it is exactly as you say it is (althought it often isn't...), then someone f***ed up big time. If they rejected you because of ADHD and PTSD, and your medical doctor confirms that you have or have had neither, then what are they rejecting you for?

Don't give up. This might take much more time than you hoped but it will get sorted out.

Stop the foolishness. If anyone believes a physician mixed up the diagnosis of "PTSD" between a young male of recruit age and his mother (his mother!), they clearly know nothing about medical records or medical practices

Either loganmoore has ADHD or he doesn't. Either he has PTSD or he doesn't. Either he meets the CEMS or he doesn't. At the end of the day, he is either medically fit to join as a reserve infanteer or he isn't.

So in the history of professional medicine, there has never been a mistake made by a practitioner?

ArmyDoc, appreciate the rousing support of your collegial takers of the Hippocratic Oath, however, I'm from Missouri when it comes to the infallibility of medical practitioners.

Regards
G2G

*edited for spelling*

Good2Golf said:
So in the history of professional medicine, there has never been a mistake made by a practitioner?

ArmyDoc, appreciate the rousing support of your collegial takers of the Hypcratic Oath, however, I'm from Missouri when it comes to the infallibility of medical practitioners.

Regards
G2G

You beat me to it. From doctors operating on wrong body parts to surgical instruments being left inside bodies. A mixed up the diagnosis of "PTSD" from two people presumably with the same last name isn't all that impossible.

Jarnhamar said:
You beat me to it. From doctors operating on wrong body parts to surgical instruments being left inside bodies. A mixed up the diagnosis of "PTSD" from two people presumably with the same last name isn't all that impossible.
Of course mistakes are made, as you have noted. But this latest post is just the latest with the theme of "my doctor said I had XXX, so I was rejected by recruiting, and I don't really have XXX, so I'm going to challenge the decision".

At the end of the day, potential recruits either meet CEMS or they don't.

Good2Golf said:

We buried our mistakes. < joke >.

ArmyDoc said:
Of course mistakes are made, as you have noted. But this latest post is just the latest with the theme of "my doctor said I had XXX, so I was rejected by recruiting, and I don't really have XXX, so I'm going to challenge the decision".

At the end of the day, potential recruits either meet CEMS or they don't.

I didn't see anyone disputing that; only that with some uncertainty to the originating doctor's documentation, there was a case for the poster to clarify and resubmit to the Recruiting Medical Officer...n'est-ce pas?

Regards
G2G

Hello, I'm technically prescribed adderall that I use for school for the past two years(on lowest dosage, off during the summer), I haven't taken it in a month, will I be deemed unfit? Will I have a chance to appeal it?(with possibly my doctor's note?). I truly don't need it, I just take it to help studying(instead of buying it under the table).

and is it up to the discretion of the recruiting officer and the medical officer? and just to confirm, is it indeed 1 year/12months that I need to be clean in order to continue my application? (for Infantry RESO btw..)

Thanks for all the help!

ang8899 said:
Hello, I'm technically prescribed adderall that I use for school for the past two years(on lowest dosage, off during the summer), I haven't taken it in a month, will I be deemed unfit? Will I have a chance to appeal it?(with possibly my doctor's note?). I truly don't need it, I just take it to help studying(instead of buying it under the table).

and is it up to the discretion of the recruiting officer and the medical officer? and just to confirm, is it indeed 1 year/12months that I need to be clean in order to continue my application? (for Infantry RESO btw..)

Thanks for all the help!

You are not "technically" prescribed anything, you are either prescribed something or you have not been prescribed something. Period. End of.

Like has been said many times before, talking to the CFRC is the best foot forward, they will let you know what you can do and what the timelines are.

Start reading this thread and see others' experience. Go from there. Hit some of the links graciously provided in this thread. Good luck.

ang8899 said:

Thanks for all the help!

If you're being prescribed it just for studying and you "truly don't need it", I'd be tempted to contact the local college of physicians and surgeons to have a chat with your FMD about prescribing controlled substances for non-indicated reasons.  The fact that you mentioned you got it that way instead of buying it under the table makes me suspect as to your motives for that as well...you know, since many university students with alleged ADHD sell their Aderall as a "study aid".

It was Jolt Cola and chocolate espresso beans in my day.

To answer your question though, if you have a diagnosis of ADD/ADHD, your doc(s) will have to explain your diagnosis, sub-type, reasons for meds, etc and the gurus in CFRG Medical will make a decision based on that information and current guidelines from Director Medical Policy.

MM

HaZarD SFD said:
I can only speak on my experience.  I was on ADHD Medication.  I was told I need to be off them for 12 months.  I can see why.  I have been and have done fine.  I am now getting my application back in the pile and from when I was given the notice, I only needed my Medical to get it to its final stages.

As per my post from last year.  I am updating it.

I have been off as per their request and I have received my letter from the MO.  I do now qualify for the Common Enrolment Medical Standards.  I now get to "Hurry up and wait" while I find out if I need to redo my Medical and Interview.  I expect I may but its a good insight on the possibility of still being accepted having been on ADHD medication.

*My case is not like everyone elses.  So results will be different.* 

So I am 17 and in grade 12, very close to graduating. I took my aptitude test but didn't study hard enough and just missed officer mark requirement so I am retaking it. Now the problem is I was diagnosed with ADHD a while back when I was a small child, but I never take it anymore. Yet I have still picked up prescriptions as just a mental "relief" so that in my mind the 'option' is always there.  Am I totally boned for my medical? I can definetly do BMOQ without it.

The problem I am having is not that I was diagnosed, but that I still pick up medication but I just don't take it, and I don't know if that will kill my chances of passing medical

You're fine. I had the exact same thing happen to me a few months ago, and all they needed was a signed form from my family doctor.

Rofltropter said:
The problem I am having is not that I was diagnosed, but that I still pick up medication but I just don't take it, and I don't know if that will kill my chances of passing medical

You need to talk to your doctor ASAP about stopping the medication. That doctor is going to, at minimum, have to sign a note stating your condition and treatment.

So the doctor just has to sign off saying I haven't been taking my meds and don't need them?

You need to discuss with your doctor as to why you haven't been taking the meds, and see if you no longer need them. The recruiting center will require a form or letter, and you blind-siding your family doctor with not taking (but still filling) a prescription might be of some concern. You will have speedbumps in your recruitment because of this, there's also 7,000 people on here who claim they never needed ADHD drugs in the first place. Some got in, some didn't.

At the end of the day, your doctor is also only making a recommendation. Its the CAF recruiting medical doctors that have the final say.

clownfool said:
You're fine. I had the exact same thing happen to me a few months ago, and all they needed was a signed form from my family doctor.

So "clownfool"... the blanket statement "You're fine" is not an acceptable answer to give here... unless you happen to be the MO that will be signing this young man's med assessment... I can assure you (and Rofltropter) that no med assessment is the same. You say all you needed was a signed letter from your doc. Not the case for my son. See, one can "tell" the doctor that he / she was spending all kinds of money on a prescribed narcotic, just to keep them in the cabinet for peace of mind. True or not, Clinton never actually inhaled, right? My son had not been on his meds for 4 years (I know, because I paid the bills) yet in his case he still had to have a work up IOT prove he was free of Ritalin.

So, in the future, take Puckchaser's lead - never make a definitive statement based on your own experiences - always defer to the proper experts / authorities. Absolutely share your own experience if you choose. But share is all you do.

@BinRat55 I'm sorry that my comment was jumping to conclusions. Ill remember that for next time i relate my assessment to someone else's.

Back