• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ADATS upload onto the CC177

Globesmasher

Inactive
Reaction score
Here's a quick snapshot of 2 ADATS that we picked up from Fredericton and moved to Cold Lake for 4 AD the other day.
A 5.5 hour flight.
While it only shows 2 systems on board, we are actually capable of carrying 3.
This was the first time we lifted and moved the Canadian ADATS.

2ADATSresize.jpg

You Just dont quite relize how big they are from the outside impressive

Heh.... wonder if it will be the 1st and only time.
We never really did much with the ADATS.... xcept spend money on the darned thing

geo said:
Heh.... wonder if it will be the 1st and only time.
We never really did much with the ADATS.... xcept spend money on the darned thing
We could have said that about the Centurion as well. 

Nice to see a Canadian Forces aircraft with two of them beasts on board.  5.5 hour flight?  Damn...

Centurions?
While they never went to war, the Centurions were part of our Army as we protected the world from the Soviet hordes.  Ready to stop them cold in the Fulda gap of West Germany.

The ADATS had umpteen million teething problems. 
An orphan system that was never accepted on the world market - regardless of the bill of goods Oerlikon sold us.

Globesmasher looks like one of your chains is loose.

Do you guys RON on a flight like that or is there enough time to get home in the same day?

Globesmasher said:
Here's a quick snapshot of 2 ADATS that we picked up from Fredericton and moved to Cold Lake for 4 AD the other day.
I saw this on the news while visiting Fredricton last week.  The reporter's commentary mentioned moving tanks while the vehicles in the background being loaded were clearly not. 

geo said:
What of the G8 summitt.  You might also consider a possible role for them around Vancouvre in 2010.

The ADATS went through the same teething problems as most other newly created weapon systems in the late 70's and early 80's.  I think the main reason for its' status as an orphan is the so called "peace dividend" brought about by the end of the Cold War.  Overall, it is still a great air and ground surveillance platform capable of reaching out and touching someone at 8 kms.

MCG said:
I saw this on the news while visiting Fredricton last week.  The reporter's commentary mentioned moving tanks while the vehicles in the background being loaded were clearly not. 

Most civies see a tracked vehicle and automatically assume "tank". It was almost (but not quite) forgiveable to mistake an M109 for a tank...at least it had a barrell...but still...

::) *sigh*

Mortarman Rockpainter said:
We could have said that about the Centurion as well. 

Nice to see a Canadian Forces aircraft with two of them beasts on board.  5.5 hour flight?  Damn...

Would it be breaking OPSEC to ask how many hours it takes a CC-177 to airlift any vehicles to Afghanistan, provided our planes are refueled en route by USAF KC-135s?

Rockpainter,

A 5.5 hour flight is still better than a 12+ hour flight in the cargo bay/loading area of a USAF C-17. No inflight movie. :p >:D

CougarShark said:
Would it be breaking OPSEC to ask.....

If you start a question with that....then it probably is.        ;)

Regards

Pictures are not showing up for me, anyone else having the same problem?

working fine for me
either your PC has too little memory or.... it might be the software version you are using.

geo said:
working fine for me
either your PC has too little memory or.... it might be the software version you are using.

Hmm still not working for me, not a memory issue, or a software issue. just getting a red X which usually indicates a problem with the image linking. very weird. I will try getting the link and pasting it into a new page see if that works

JBoyd said:
Hmm still not working for me, not a memory issue, or a software issue. just getting a red X which usually indicates a problem with the image linking. very weird. I will try getting the link and pasting it into a new page see if that works

What browser are you using? I had problems at first because I use Seamonkey as my default browser and the photo never showed up. Went and opened up Internet Explorer, pasted in the URL and presto! there it was.

Very impressive shot I might add.

IE7, XP, standard set up. i pasted the photo link into a new page and it opened, perhaps it had something to do with bandwidth on the site??

Back