• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Active Shooter In NS. April 19 2020

I think hard before posting anything in this thread; I know there’s a lot of emotion and negative thoughts towards the cops.

Most of us have been in some kind of SHTF situation before and had to lay awake at night after second guessing the shit out of ourselves.

I feel for the victims, their families and loved ones and friends.

I feel for this guy, too. He’s a Mountie, but he’s also a human and a Canadian.

Fair, I was aiming at the institution and higher leadership. But I can see how that could be taken.

I thought so and I know you lost some friends that day.

I went to where Cst Stevenson made her stand that day (my striper spot is a stones throw from there). It was….a heavy feeling. We would have done the same for all the fallen that day if it was appropriate (public space).

NS doesn’t feel as “safe” to me anymore, honestly and I’ve made some changes since then.

RIP to your friends and all the victims.

I thought so and I know you lost some friends that day.

I went to where Cst Stevenson made her stand that day (my striper spot is a stones throw from there). It was….a heavy feeling.

NS doesn’t feel as “safe” to me anymore, honestly and I’ve made some changes since then.

RIP to your friends and all the victims.

My campground is right there. Big barn with Camping written on the side.

I've driven through there a million times and I never fail to think of the evil the was there.

Like you I've made changes. And HFX definitely isn't as safe as it once was.

Good spot for stripers. Always lots of action on that stretch of the Shubie.

Federal government told RCMP what they could and couldn't say after mass shooting: communications director​

What information was revealed to the public in the days following Canada’s deadliest mass shooting wasn’t solely up to the RCMP, claims the director of strategic communications for the Nova Scotia RCMP.

In an interview this past February, Lia Scanlan told members of the Mass Casualty Commission the federal government was involved in what the police force told the public about a gunman's 13-hour rampage that killed 22 people.

“Minister (Bill) Blair. All these people, the prime minister, they were weighing in on what we could and couldn’t say,” Scanlan said.

However, what Scanlan said before and after her comment has been redacted by the Mass Casualty Commission.

An 89-page transcript of the interview, which is the second of two interviews she did with the commission before she testified in person at the public proceedings in Truro on Wednesday, was recently posted to the commission’s website.

Throughout the nearly four-hour interview, Scanlan elaborates on how there was “political pressure” on the RCMP.

While the Nova Scotia RCMP held its own news conferences in Dartmouth in the days following the mass shooting, Scanlan recalled how RCMP Commissioner Brenda Lucki did separate interviews.

Scanlan said Lucki was advised “by her people” not to, but ended up doing one-off interviews anyway, where she gave “inaccurate” facts or spoke about information that was “fluid,” such as the number of structures that had been burned.

“And she went out and did that and knew damn well — and it was all political pressure,” Scanlan said.

“That is 100 per cent minister Blair and the prime minister. And we have a commissioner that does not push back.”

More at link

Federal government told RCMP what they could and couldn't say after mass shooting: communications director​

“That is 100 per cent minister Blair and the prime minister. And we have a commissioner that does not push back.”

More at link
Quelle surprise.....or am I being cynical?

Because the "assault style" weapon OIC had already been drafted, but the government wanted to go much farther with their gun bans, I am 100% certain that both Blair and Trudeau were disappointed to learn that the killer didn't have a PAL and that's why it took so long for that information to be released by the RCMP.

Last edited:
If there’s a smidgen of truth in your post, Haggis - and I’d believe there is - that shows what POS humans the 2 of them are.

If there’s a smidgen of truth in your post, Haggis - and I’d believe there is - that shows what POS humans the 2 of them are.
For more evidence of that, read through the new Bill C-21. If you can find the words "gang", "gangster", "illegal" or "smuggler" in there, I owe you a drink.

You'll see "sport shooter", "athlete" and "competitor" more often.

Trudeay is Blair's fairy godfather. Minister Blair does not inspire confidence and should have remained a beat cop with Toronto.

The candid responses from myself and some other members on this forum have provided some insight into what's not being said.
Mm hm.

Sure as hell someone’s gonna go under a bus. Not sure who. But the person with clear and contemporaneous notes taken from the time of the event has a distinct advantage over those who don’t.

Those I know who have worked for Superintendent Campbell have only very good things to say about him. I hope he comes out of this one ok. It appears to me that he’s done his level best to speak truth.

I understand that Commissioner Lucki is scheduled to testify. That will be interesting to see.

Tangential- from a purely investigative standpoint, if part of an investigation is to trace the origin of certain firearms and who might have been involved in obtaining and transferring them, it would be prudent, wise, and justifiable to withhold specific information about them from any public disclosure until investigators have a chance to fully run it down.

Last edited:
I'm not convinced holding the higher ground, having the notes to back your position or being on the side of the angels is a shield against the long knives. With the PM, a Minister and the Commissioner publicly embarrassed, as Russel Peters says, 'somebody's gonna get a hurt'.

People not directly involved in operations, including senior command like the Commissioner, should know enough that they should not have granular information of an ongoing operation, and should be competent enough to defend or explain that to civilian oversight.

I'm not convinced holding the higher ground, having the notes to back your position or being on the side of the angels is a shield against the long knives. With the PM, a Minister and the Commissioner publicly embarrassed, as Russel Peters says, 'somebody's gonna get a hurt'.

People not directly involved in operations, including senior command like the Commissioner, should know enough that they should not have granular information of an ongoing operation, and should be competent enough to defend or explain that to civilian oversight.
You would think that and 50 years ago you might have been right. Competency counts for nothing. You have to be the right "check in the box" to be acceptable to His Nibs and his court jesters. Yah I'm cynical.

What information was revealed to the public in the days following Canada’s deadliest mass shooting wasn’t solely up to the RCMP, claims the director of strategic communications for the Nova Scotia RCMP.

In an interview this past February, Lia Scanlan told members of the Mass Casualty Commission the federal government was involved in what the police force told the public about a gunman's 13-hour rampage that killed 22 people.

“Minister (Bill) Blair. All these people, the prime minister, they were weighing in on what we could and couldn’t say,” Scanlan said.

However, what Scanlan said before and after her comment has been redacted by the Mass Casualty Commission.

An 89-page transcript of the interview, which is the second of two interviews she did with the commission before she testified in person at the public proceedings in Truro on Wednesday, was recently posted to the commission’s website.

Throughout the nearly four-hour interview, Scanlan elaborates on how there was “political pressure” on the RCMP.

While the Nova Scotia RCMP held its own news conferences in Dartmouth in the days following the mass shooting, Scanlan recalled how RCMP Commissioner Brenda Lucki did separate interviews.

Scanlan said Lucki was advised “by her people” not to, but ended up doing one-off interviews anyway, where she gave “inaccurate” facts or spoke about information that was “fluid,” such as the number of structures that had been burned.

“And she went out and did that and knew damn well — and it was all political pressure,” Scanlan said.

More at link
And with this line, I am now 100% convinced Provinces need to get rid of Contract Policing and keep the Feds out of their business.

You would think that and 50 years ago you might have been right. Competency counts for nothing. You have to be the right "check in the box" to be acceptable to His Nibs and his court jesters. Yah I'm cynical.
It's not only an issue with the federal government or 'this' government. It can, and has, happened innocently when a senior police commander hasn't risen through the operational side or managed major investigations/projects and just doesn't understand the implications. Ideally, they will heed the advice of those who know their lane. Sometimes not.

There is a divorced expectation when it comes to chiefs of police- the chief doesn’t know tactics etc. he relies on advice- part of the issue is chiefs presenting themselves as knowing mouths from assholes when they don’t- and the public thinking that a chief or a commissioner is in that spot because they were the “best” at each rank prior,

Police executives are administrators- and should manage and lead police. When asked for their opinion from politicians they should be Finding experts to help them put together their opinion. Set expectations and a mission and seek results.

In this case the allegation is the commissioner wanted the details, in a certain way, so she could help the government with their legislation to keep Canadians safe.

There are several issues in that. Canadians should be free firstly, and kept safe from things and people that would take that liberty. The commissioner should be most concerned with appearing to be an honest and fair person. Not willing to compromise the truth to make people “safe”.

If we need to make a story richer to help a law along- we didn’t need the law. Otherwise it would be evident on its own.

Anyhoo. It’s an allegation. But the wording of the notes raise my eyebrow because it’s formed in a way that is plausible.

And with this line, I am now 100% convinced Provinces need to get rid of Contract Policing and keep the Feds out of their business.
I'm with you on this. Federal Police for Federal and intranational policing.
Where I'm from (SW MB) its at least an hour to get a response from Queen's cowboys. Having local yokels being the cops couldn't be any worse.

I'm with you on this. Federal Police for Federal and intranational policing.
Where I'm from (SW MB) its at least an hour to get a response from Queen's cowboys. Having local yokels being the cops couldn't be any worse.
Yep and why are the Feds influencing in any way what is, by jurisdiction, a Provincial matter?

Last edited:
Back