• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Active Shooter In NS. April 19 2020

And the Musical Ride :)

when calls the heart hearties GIF by Hallmark Channel
Ya, I'm pretty sure that doesn't fall under O Division.

Looking into my crystal ball- they’ll be shocked by cost- and they ll continue with the RCMP. They’ll use the proposal to create a letter of expectation for visibility in the community. Which will translate to a car being in the community for so many hours. This will go for a year or two before it falls
Out of practice again.

Looking into my crystal ball- they’ll be shocked by cost- and they ll continue with the RCMP. They’ll use the proposal to create a letter of expectation for visibility in the community. Which will translate to a car being in the community for so many hours. This will go for a year or two before it falls
Out of practice again.

Maybe. There is a lot of political/emotional torque behind big changes in policing in NS right now.

Perhaps this will be added to the larger conversation about the cost sharing and federal money and police work.

Perhaps this will be added to the larger conversation about the cost sharing and federal money and police work.

I don’t understand why the feds subsidize municipal or provincial policing at all. It’s squarely a provincial responsibility. Maintaining national services of use to all police, like CPIC, PSP, the fingerprint section, CISC? Sure. But why is cops on the road in Colchester or Surrey or North Battleford or Thompson, but not Kingston or New Westminster or Halifax or Winnipeg, something that gets federal dollars by default? I don’t have my head wrapped around that.

I don’t understand why the feds subsidize municipal or provincial policing at all. It’s squarely a provincial responsibility. Maintaining national services of use to all police, like CPIC, PSP, the fingerprint section, CISC? Sure. But why is cops on the road in Colchester or Surrey or North Battleford or Thompson, but not Kingston or New Westminster or Halifax or Winnipeg, something that gets federal dollars by default? I don’t have my head wrapped around that.
These municipalities are addicted to the money/assistance . It probably should never have existed- but it does. I agree with you. It should be provincially sorted

If I was a betting man, and thank the lord I am not sir. I think NS would take a financial loss if it meant it would get a better level of provincial/rural policing.

They’ll need to take a financial hit even to provide service at existing levels. ‘Better’ is an investment still on top of that. Which I’m fine with- they just need to be prepared for it.

They’ll need to take a financial hit even to provide service at existing levels. ‘Better’ is an investment still on top of that. Which I’m fine with- they just need to be prepared for it.
100%. I think one of the more recent things I saw a municipality tried to do was keep their RCMP detachment but have their own police officers- like 2 or 3 officers added to them. So supervised and managed by Mounties- but their own added bodies. It was a weird one. It really emphasized to me how addicted to that costing these smaller municipalities are

There is no doubt about that. I know people want change. How much they want it we will know in time.

I grew up about 500 metres from the RCMP station in Amherst, and still have a sister and many relatives who live there. Trust me, they will try to get it on the cheap.

I grew up about 500 metres from the RCMP station in Amherst, and still have a sister and many relatives who live there. Trust me, they will try to get it on the cheap.

I believe you. And not in any way where I’m sneering at anyone. I know the Maritimes aren’t swimming in cash, and I know policing is expensive even with the subsidies the feds throw at RCMP contract policing. I don’t personally think the RCMP should remain in the business of providing contract policing, mostly because it distracts from important and increasingly complex federal responsibilities. But this will be a very difficult decision for some jurisdictions to make.

Now, Nova Scotia may be able to offer slightly lower compensation based on lower cost of living outside of HRM… but not that much lower. And any new police service would need to attract experienced officers, mostly from the RCMP. So, safe to guess any new police services won’t come much cheaper than the Mounties currently are, and that’s before federal subsidy.

It’s not an enviable position for communities to be in, and I don’t have any good answers.

If I was a betting man, and thank the lord I am not sir. I think NS would take a financial loss if it meant it would get a better level of provincial/rural policing.

I know what you’re saying BUT I’d that was the case a decade ago, there would have been more officers responding that night 3 years ago.

Our politicians have failed because we have allowed them to and they are more than happy to let an org like the RCMP take the punch on the chin if it saves their bacon.

I know what you’re saying BUT I’d that was the case a decade ago, there would have been more officers responding that night 3 years ago.

Our politicians have failed because we have allowed them to and they are more than happy to let an org like the RCMP take the punch on the chin if it saves their bacon.
There is a comfy deniability for local and provincial authorities with the RCMP.

Back