• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Access to gym at St. Jean / BMQ / BMOQ

Bo

Inactive
Reaction score
I can see how a person who is out of shape will have his physical condition improve dramatically after basic training, but what about an athlete (or someone that's already in excellent shape)?

I'm not trying to inflate my ego here, but I've been played elite soccer for years while weight-lifting for the last 6 years. I follow a sound nutritional plan (5-6 healthy meals per day), and get plenty of rest (8 hours sleep....I'm gonna get raped in BMQ I know it  :'()

Currently, I can do 64 pushups, 23 chinups, and I ran a 5k in 18:47 a while back. I can bench 225lbs for 8 reps and squat 275lbs for 8reps. I'm 5'10" and weigh 170lbs.

Do you lose a lot of weight in BMQ? Do you gain muscle? I guess it all depends on your condition going into BMQ, no?

Sorry Pal..  you will lose muscle mass.  You will not be able to eat 5-6 times a day, and the mess food is far from healthy.  The salad bars are usually pretty good though, but the main course meals.. lots of fried crap. 

Also, you won't get a chance to work out..  it will all be cardio-related.  Running, circuit training, etc
If you want to keep some of that weight on, bring good protein bars.

You can bring food to basic training? During personal time, can you use the gym? Is there even a gym there?

There is a gym, after indoc(4 weeks) we were allowed to use it on our own time.

No food in your rooms (is the rule), but there's Subway in the evenings.

You will lose muscle mass. What typically happened was people who were overweight(fat or muscle) lost weight and those who were underweight gained to a happy medium.

Between dinner and breakfast is around 13-14 hours which hurts if you're used to eating 5-6 times a day. Ironically in the nutrition class they tell you this is unhealthy and people do better on many smaller meals.

In addition to hurry up and wait you must also learn: 'do as we say, not as we do' and 'except for while you're at St Jean'. Goes for eating, sleeping etc

As a furtherance, once you get to your next training or gainin unit, you can continue with
your own physical training routine.  The unit you're attached with will likely provide
mandatory PT throughout the week too.  Its all good.

When i did my Basic trainning i was in excelent shape 6 month of extansive trainning but cause on the run and other PT we had to go at a easy pace for the people that where not in shape (fat most of them ) i came out of it less in shape that i came in. But if your in shape you will find you day easyer. I buddy say it all mess food is only fating and you usaly eat it fast and go for the quick stuff cause you dont  have time.

Does anyone know if there is a heavy bag in the gym in St-Jean? Also, if they do. Do we have access to it on our free time?

Bojangles

our free time

Snorted coffee on my computer screen on that one. ;D

kincanucks said:
our free time

Snorted coffee on my computer screen on that one. ;D

Lol, I choked on my gum when I read that quote.

AHH, Don't ya  love the subtlety of our posters here on army.ca.........

Made me laugh to but to give the guy a hand....

I believe that when you finally do earn the privilege of having your weekends free and your nights you may in fact use the gym if you ask permission...then again that was 6yrs ago so hey I could be right out to lunch.

HitorMiss...Thanks but just for the record..It's give a "chick" a hand.  ;D
I thought I'd bring a pair of bag gloves for something to do on the odd time I "may" get free time
Bojangles

My bad LOL

yup I think you'll find time sooner or later I know that come grad week at least you have more free time then you ever did.

I was looking to get into boxing when I get into the CF... are there courses I could take in the gym or maybe just pay somebody to give me some lessons and whatnot...

Cheers

I'll teach you how to take a punch in the face for free, no fee required  ;D Go do JUDO, the ultimate self defence  8)

Hahaha...

Deal!  :-*

What kind of Judo programs are in place at St. Jean's then?

Cheers

I don't know bro, you will not get time to do Judo or the such on BMQ, besides you wouldn't be there long enough to get into a groove. Once you are done your bmq, sq and trade qualifier though and are posted you can learn just about anything, on the bases there are all kinds or programs, like Judo, boxing, Karate etc. You will also have much more time then. I do Judo about 4 times a week now and I'm in the gym 4 times a week and it's hard on the body, I don't imagine it would make for a good time while doing bmq, sq etc. So wait until you're posted and then have at er'  ;D

But you can still punch me in the face, right?!  ;D

Good plan, though. I'd imagine BMQ/SQ will be enough for the time being.

Cheers

Back