• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Academic transcripts - Questions [MERGED]

EpicBeardedMan

Full Member
Reaction score
0
Points
210
Buck_HRA said:
Above statements need to be corrected as they are not entirely accurate.

If you're applying for a position like Infantry (Edit Note: I ONLY use Infantry because there is no civilian equivalent, so previous job experience doesn't help or hinder on the ability to be an Infanteer] , then no your employment has no bearing on the position.  However part of the interview process is determining if you'd be a good fit for a position. 

Assume the 3 people below are all applying for either Human Resource Admin or Financial Services Admin:

1) Take someone that has Office Administration in College and has been working in a Large Office doing payroll, etc for a large company.  They are assigned a score during the interview process.

2) Now lets take someone that has Office Administration in College but no work experience.  They are also assigned a score during the interview process, but not as high of a score.

3) Finally lets take someone fresh out of high school with no work experience.  They are are also given a score but no where near as high as #1 or #2.

Now comes the important part; there is only 1 position is remaining and all 3 score roughly the same on the CFAT & TSD - which one of those 3 do you think the offer will goto?  It will be #1 based on the interview score.

The above information isn't to scare you, it's to manage your expectations.  Part of joining the CAF is like any other job, there's an interview process.  And stating the CAF "needs bodies", last year there was over 40,000 applications for 4,000 (approx) positions.

Buck is definitely the expert here, so this should be taken as gospel.

Buck, do you know how much volunteer work affects your application? Is it considered during your interview or application process in a way that affects your merit list position? Asking because I'm genuinely curious..I listed volunteer work on mine but unsure if it changes anything.
 

da1root

Moderator
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Reaction score
21
Points
380
Hello EpicBeardedMan,

Again like work it depends on how it relates to what you're wanting to do in the CAF.

1) some volunteer work is better than none (shows dedication), but whether you volunteer with 6 different places or 1, both show dedication
2) If you are want to join as a Fire Fighter and you're a volunteer Fire Fighter, looks REALLY good.  If you're wanting to be Military Police and you volunteer at your local pet shelter... meh (not an official example, but hopefully this gives the idea).

 

EpicBeardedMan

Full Member
Reaction score
0
Points
210
Buck_HRA said:
Hello EpicBeardedMan,

Again like work it depends on how it relates to what you're wanting to do in the CAF.

1) some volunteer work is better than none (shows dedication), but whether you volunteer with 6 different places or 1, both show dedication
2) If you are want to join as a Fire Fighter and you're a volunteer Fire Fighter, looks REALLY good.  If you're wanting to be Military Police and you volunteer at your local pet shelter... meh (not an official example, but hopefully this gives the idea).

Yeah that actually makes sense, I see what you're saying.

Cheers!
 

mellauren

Jr. Member
Reaction score
1
Points
80
I'm looking to reapply for a DEO officer position soon and I was wondering if I needed to resubmit my transcripts or if they would still be in my previous file. (reapply after having to VR during bmq)
 

da1root

Moderator
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Reaction score
21
Points
380
mellauren said:
I'm looking to reapply for a DEO officer position soon and I was wondering if I needed to resubmit my transcripts or if they would still be in my previous file. (reapply after having to VR during bmq)
Depends on how long it's been.  Archives are only kept so long before they're destroyed - so if your archive has been destroyed you'll need to resubmit everything; if your archive hasn't been destroyed you'll only need to submit what you've done since your last application.  Submit your application and your CFRC will let you know either way.
 

LIZXP

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
10
Good morning Everyone,

looking to join the army, I was complete my high school oversea more than 15 years ago. i currently hold university degree in Finance (completed in Canada) and CPA designation. looking to join as logistic officer - Finance. just wondering if the high school transcript is needed or i can just use my university transcript? please help, i have my CFAT booked, since its nearly impossible to get mine high-school transcript, if that is a must have, i might have to drop the current process. thanks in advance for your inputs.
 

r.k89

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
10
I applied as officer and recruiting office said my university transcript from Canada is enough because it satisfies education requirement for position.
 

LIZXP

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
10
r.k89 said:
I applied as officer and recruiting office said my university transcript from Canada is enough because it satisfies education requirement for position.

thank you very much r.k89, i was in the recruitment office yesterday, just didn't mentioned whats my area of studying in the university, i guess thats might be why the recruiter said he might still need mine high-school transcript. i ordered the transcript from my university i will bring it in and hope thats all they need for the trade i applied.

thanks again
 

r.k89

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
10
Did you mention to them trade you want to apply? Logistics is full for this year and you won't be able to select it. If you write CFAT now they will either tell you to pick something else or from my understanding if you don't want anything else they will close you file and not process further until trade is open again.
 

LIZXP

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
10
i mentioned to them, they still want me to take the test...so what happens if they closed my file? do i get informed when the trade if reopened? if i success with my CFAT test do i have to rewrite it by the time i reapplied?  thanks for the inputs
 

winds_13

Member
Reaction score
82
Points
450
Aptitue test (CFAT) scores don't expire so you won't have to worry about rewriting unless you don't achieve the score you desire. I recommend putting forth some significant time to study. There is a practice test on the Forces.ca website, located in the "How to join" section. Logistics Officer is a highly competitive trade and you must score quite high in order to be considered. Best of luck.
 

LIZXP

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
10
winds_13 said:
Aptitue test (CFAT) scores don't expire so you won't have to worry about rewriting unless you don't achieve the score you desire. I recommend putting forth some significant time to study. There is a practice test on the Forces.ca website, located in the "How to join" section. Logistics Officer is a highly competitive trade and you must score quite high in order to be considered. Best of luck.

Thank you! winds_13 and i hope they can just accept my degree
 
Top