• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Academic transcripts - Questions [MERGED]

Bring both as you need High School for most occupations and some specialized occupations require certain High School courses. If you have any post secondary education those courses may provide the necessary prerequisites for the occupation in case you didn't take an advanced level in High School. The more information the career counselor has the better. Let them sort it out.

After I recieved a call from the Ottawa Recruiting Centre, informing me that I did not make the second-round selections for ROTP for 2010, the recuiter started explaining to me what I should do in order to get ready for the next years application. He informed me that I should hand in my first-year transcripts upon applying in September. Problem is, I am not very proud of my performance the past year and I also intend of changing my field of study. Would handing in a poor transcript do more harm than good? I heard I get bumped up a few points regardless for having completed a year but with my change of program I might have to take another 4 years anyway.

Furthermore, he told me if I did not make next years ROTP selection, I was ruled out for ROTP. I thought CF would subsidze your tuition even when you had only a year left, but I guess this is not the case. I really need to make it next year, but I made some bad acedemic decisions and I just need to know what my options are. If I restart my education by taking a program that will require 4 years more schooling, do I get that extra year to apply? Also, is it smart to hand in poor performance transcripts or do I not have a choice? My aptitude went very well, I was told, but I don't want my first-year ruining my life.

Also, conversely could I wait a year, do well in school and then submit those transcripts or will the CF ask for both years anyway?

Thank you.

Based on my experience, if you remain at the same university you can't choose which years to submit with respect to your transcript.  They will include all of the courses taken at the school, courses taken on letter of permission at another institution or any exchange credits that you have. 
Have you considered taking some summer courses in your new field of study?  You would have those on the transcript before September and if there is a large turnaround in your academic performance it could only be looked upon favourably. 

I am not 100% sure one rules for applying late in your degree.
However, in my case, I applied for ROTP last summer. I was accepted for subsidization starting in September.
In September, I will be starting my last year of university.
So it is possible to have only one year subsidized.

You must have a MINIMUM of 18 months remaining in your degree in order to be subsidized by current directives. One year remaining is not enough.

Cheers

SB

Steel Badger said:
You must have a MINIMUM of 18 months remaining in your degree in order to be subsidized by current directives. One year remaining is not enough.

Cheers

SB

I will consider myself lucky that I received an offer then.

I would suggest going in for an afternoon to your recruiter and asking these questions to them. As comforting as it is to ask your peers I feel that they will always have the best and most current information.

I think this is the 3rd or more thread you've started surrounding ROTP and to be honest rather than creating a new thread every single time you might find it easier to just call your local Recruiting Det.

I don't mean to sound harsh but to be honest this is probably not the #1 place to be getting your information from, it's like the Army's version of wikipedia. Anyone can post anything(they don't even need to be army).

That is my thought on this, good luck but you should likely call the recruiting office for their policies on acceptances and if you have choices on changing academic institutions and witholding transcripts.

I understand if you may be annoyed with me posting my questions but I think every thread I have started had a valid question behind it, and it is hard to address so many questions in the confines of a single thread title. On another note recuiters don't always have answers to obscure but still relevant questions. I am trying to get personal testimonials and experiences, which is much more useful to me.

I also do not wish to make the recuitment office aware of my failures if I don't have to.

Now I suppose my only option is to re-apply, transcripts and all, sooner the better and at least have the early-bird on my side(unless this is not factor), pick up some volunteer work over the summer which my recruiter stressed on and maybe i'll have a fighting chance even with the poor marks.

I do feel your questions are valid but they should be answered by qualified people designated to give career advice. 

If a recruiter doesn't know an answer then it likely is not important or can be found here...university transcripts...probability of enrolement...Extracurriculars... Those are all things they should know about.

Hiding you failures is not a good idea, plus stressing them as failures really is not a good game plan. Think of it as learning experiences and the recruiting office won't keep a call log and search you up if you ask them about your "failures" on the phone. If they turn out to be unnecessary to mention then they will tell you and you can omit them from bringing them in your narrative or in your interview answers.  If they turn out to be relevant then its good you asked the recruiter right?

I don't want to lecture but these questions are more for the recruiting office.

Good point. I appreciate the advice, probably going to go down to the office tomorrow. Also I also have spoken with a guidance counselor from my school about a secondary back up plan for civilian life if the military thing doesn't work out, getting into programs that are a good stepping stone for law enforcement so at least I have my options spread on the table.

I'm not sure where you are located in Canada but if you are interested in Law enforcement there is a good program at Humber college offered by the University of Guelph    All together its the University of Guelph-Humber Justic Studies/Police Foundations Degree Diploma.  You get both the degree in Justice Studies and the Diploma in Police Foundations. My best friend is in there and it was one option I applied but turned down, but if you are seriously interested in Policing it is worth considering but as far as I know you cannot apply ROTP and get into that school since ROTP won't let you get a degree diploma program only fully university degrees.

I am in Ottawa, and I go to the University of Ottawa. While my current program of Psychology is relevant for detective work(which I do think I would like) I was told by OPP officers that a degree in Criminology would also suffice, political science is also somewhat related. Many told me the degree itself matter more that the nature of the degree.

I have many difference agencies to look at, the Ottawa Police Dept, the Provincial Police, RCMP, ofcourse the military and within the CF, there is ofcourse Military Police, someone said I sould seriously consider CSIS too, so that is all there. My interest is great in law enforcement, not to the extent of that of a military career but I will still need time to go about the websites for all these organizations and see what suits me best, that will be my plan B.

I too am in Ottawa (carleton though) and would advise that it is very competitive to get into policing and even more so from what I hear into the MPs.  Good luck but try look at every available options that offer advancement not only the ones you are most interested in. Policing at a University or out in the boonies is still better than no job at all.

Just a suggestion... if you aren't happy with your marks in courses you've taken, why not try and re-do them? It'll cost you money (which may defeat the purpose you are looking for) but if you are genuine in trying to better the outcome, maybe that's your current course of action. Are any of the exact courses you've taken available this summer? Or, can you re-do them by fall? If you are able to re-do them, get a better mark and whatever by the next application deadline, perhaps that will increase your chances. I've seen a lot of people re-do in their last year of university courses from first-year because they did so badly. You wouldn't be the first person to do it...

I'm sure bringing a cup of coffee to your file manager will probably make them happier and more willing to give you the answers to need too.  :)  Everyone likes gifts :)

I've attended universities for 4 years but have not graduated. Does CFLRS require transcripts of my courses when I start BMQ? High School Transcripts?

You should have handed those in with your application way before you even get to CFLRS.

I am applying soon to join the Canadian forces (ROTP).

Do I need to bring the Official Academic transcripts from my high school and university (I am in 2nd year university). Or is it fine to send/bring unofficial transcripts (I can print my university transcript online)?

Also, is my report card from grade 12 considered my transcript? If not , how do I get my transcripts for high school and university? And do I need to bring my high school diploma to the interview because I don't have the certificate.

Thanks.

To get transcripts from High school, you would have to head on over to the guidance office/department at that high school and request for your transcript. I know for a fact they want your official hard copy of your transcript if you're going to bring a high school transcript. That includes getting the transcript stamped by your guidance department head and them pressing a seal on the paper.

When I handed in my app to ROTP I gave them my official transcript, they photocopied it, and gave it back.

For University, I wouldn't know, but I would assume it would be the same thing; official copy.

EDIT To address a couple more things:

Yes, your high school grades from grade 9 to 12, is part of your transcript. They would like to see that. And I think you would need to bring your diploma as well. Not sure if you would bring it to the interview or when you are just handing it in, but to be safe, bring it to both occasions.

As stated in this CFRC Hamilton checklist, http://www.employerregistry.ca/Portals/0/halton/CFRCChecklist.pdf

They would like to see any diplomas, certificates and transcripts (which means University AND High school)

Back