• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

AASAM Bound

1feral1

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
Well, I am AASAM bound from 31 Oct to 01 Dec, so as of tomorrow I will not be on as much as I would like, and I hope to post some good pics in the spirit of competition. Many nations will be here, and it should be a good time had by all.

Cheers,

Wes

I did AASAM a few years ago, actually 7 or 8 now I guess, had an awsome time.

That would have been when it was at Belmont or Greenbank in greater Brisbane. Now they are held in Singleton at the SoI.

This is my 4th AASAM, and I was posted into the SAW at the yr's beginning. We have now changed our name to the CSW Combat Shooting Wing. The unit is moving now, and I am posted in Dec, still in the Bne area.

Don't know if I'll do another AASAM due to operational requirements of my gaining unit, but if the CO will authorise me for 2006, I'll be there.

14 international teams confirmed now, 2 politely bowing out this week (Thailand and Brunei). Hopefully these Asian neighbours of ours will be out next year.

Anyways, I am packing my kit for tomorrow's early departure (must leave the house by 0545) to Singleton. I'll be back for Friday, then gone from Monday for over 30 days of fun in the roo infested paddocks of Singo!

Cheers,

Wes

Well, just checking in. AASAM starts today, and all the teams are here. Watchout for some pics - Cheers Wes

Well, get this, its going on to 1730 here on a Wed night and its still 37C! Bloody 80% humidity, and no wind, so its hot. The other day I mamaged to back over a fire hydrant (and causing a major flood of and gyser of 100s of thousands of litres of h2o to run everywhere), so I copped a Duty ofr it, and of all nights the night of the international dinner. Although disappointed, its better than a charge, and in typical Aussie fashion, much humour has come out of itall, and of course at my expense.

I am trapped in the Duty Room, fans blazing, and the sweat running down my face. I might have to make a trip to teh cooler where the beer is kept, to have a Canadian moment in the cold  8).

With 500 pers on deck, at least it will be quiet until they return and go to the Mess, so it culd be an interesting evening for the DO  :eek:.

They started their range pracs today, and the different uniforms of many countries blended into the Aussie bush as best they could  (French, MARPAT, ACU, AUSCAM to name a few). So many different types of wpns, L85A2, L86A2, FAMAS, AUG, F88SA1, M16A2, A3, A4,  - M4, SAR 21, Para Minimi, M249, F89A1 Ultimax, etc. The common denominator is 5.56mm  ;D

By lunch time we had already repaired 17 wpns, and in the heat, it was worse! My camelback was filled 3 times, so thats 9 litres of h20! here the ice is not cold enough, and there is no such thing as a cold shower.

The food is great, the beer is not as cold as I want it, and the people are truly excellent. All Corps, Catering, TPT, RAEME, RAInf, RAAOC, RAAMC, etc. One huge machine with only a few squeaks, but so far so good.

I'll be posting some great pics on here after I get home on 01 Dec.

BTW, the Canucks wanted to send a team, but that was 4 days before the event, and it was too late, so lets hope next year for sure EH.

Cold beers ( I wish)

Wes

Wes, I feel for you on the heat, dude.  Add monsoonal rains and that's the NT for ya! 
With so many different teams there, I'd be interested on your take of the effectiveness of different cam patterns.  Does the Australian pattern work best here?  Would a dirty cadpat work well? 

Sh*tty night to be on duty dude, but yea, that's pretty funny. ;D
Chimo

Well day 21 today, so 9 and a wake-up til we RTU back into tropical Queensland.

About cam ptrns. The best for around here (IMHO) is ours of course, followed by the US Army ACU. I have observed all nations from a distance with our bush as a backdrop, and ours wins hands down! The ACU seems to blend better than the generic woodland, DPM variants (UK, NZ, and Indonesia), and the MARPAT. Being honest, the arid CADPAT would work better than the 'generic' one.

So what have us RAEME types been doing from 0630-1900 daily? Firstly, AASAM ARMT consists of just two of us   - SGT/CFN. We are kitted out with a Canter GMV, fitted for small arms repair. I will post more pics soon.

Today we completed our 200th 'job' on a host of many weapons from many nations. The major job recently, welding (ox-acet) the stud on to the op rod of an Indonesian SS2-V1 Pindad rifle. It had broken off during use, and with no spare parts brought to Australia, again we saved the day.This rifle is new, and is in a prototype form, serial 000060, and still uses the generic SS1-V1 (FNC) lower, with a unique new Pindad designed upper using a very apparent AKM style gas block and gas tube. The Kopasus soldier was very happy and continued on shooting. I'll post some pics of this rifle once I return to the world.

Other repairs, inspections, snap trigger pressure checks continue all day long over 4 separate ranges here in the SMA. Today we examined the RFMF M16A2 LMGs (Colts) which fire from an open bolt, and the PNG Ultimax SAW (CIS Singapore made), which is a unique weapons system all in itself.

Also the different versions of the FN Minimi is suprising, even comparing an Aussie one to the US M249, or the rear sights on the Indonesian one, or the unique sight rail on the French Para Minimi.

Anyways, I dont wanna techo talk ya's all to sleep, but keep a heads up from some interesting pics.

I am on a scheduled DO roster, so I am in the DR tonight. 1600-0800 on a Sunday night. I hope its a quite one. We all got  a day off tomorrow, so its into Newcastle for the day, back by 1700 for a BBQ. Meanwhile, it continues to be hot. It was another hot day pushing 35C in the shade.

Goss/humourus event of the day: The USMC team had caught a fairly large kangraoo, placing it into the UK's Royal Marines Commando barracks. I am told the RM's got a shock of the ammount of roo-poo and urine which can come out of a nervous and anxious roo in a matter of minutes. One Marine was covered in bruises and deep scratches from the beast on his forearms and wrists. ;D

Anyways off to tour the Mess, grab a meal and then back here for more fun.

Cold beers,

Wes

DTG 222028LNOV05 AASAM 05 SITREP Day 23 ;D

Well another day on the ranges, and after another day of hot humid weather, we thought it might storm, as black clouds tonight (similar to that of a prairie storm) began to build, and the lightning raged, and the rain pissed down in qty, but not in the SMA, about 20km all around us, so now its envening, warm and muggy, and not a drop of rain.

Last night was another dog and pony show for awards, and a kangaroo steak BBQ. The tents flowed with VB, Carlton Cold and Bundy pre-mixes as all the Int'ls mingled with the Diggers. A good time, and a few sunken eyes this am

Today the major job was replacing a sight tube on a Gen 1 F88, plus a host of minor repairs on the ranges.

Right now all the lads from over a dozen countries are seated in the mess (and outside in the cam-net lounge, swilling beers, Bundy rum, and swaping war stories, reqading papers, and watching TV, as the kookaburras laugh, roos nibbling grass along the wire, and the flying foxes (bats as big as geese) squak in the nearby gum trees. Wierd! After nearly 11yrs of it, its still freaky.

Ahh, the life. Only 6 and a wakie, and it will all be over, I'll be up back on the Island www.bribieisland.com by the day's end of 01 Dec, finally home, and on some much needed leave. Although its only a month, I have only spent a wknd at home since mid Oct, so I am looking forward to the break.

AASAM 05 is the world's largest gathering of Defence Forces for a shooting match. This is good, and had brought the eyes of many nations upon us all here in the SMA. Its been hard, and at times very hard work, and exceptionally long hours. At the end of the day, its all worth it, and I have truly enjoyed myself, and although I leave the Schoo,of Infantry soon, I hope my gaining unit will release me for next year's activity.

Anyways, off to the mess :blotto:

Lets hope   :cdn: Canada   :cdn: will be here next year   :cheers:

Wes

AASAM -   Day 27

Well, its the last day of AASAM today, and the shooting stopped just after lunch. Tonight, its another pissup, and night of nights, and guess who copped the D.O. job tonight. So no swilling. My liver needs a rest anyways.

Today was the fallingplate competition, and what a day. Cold, rain, wind, and now its so bloody hot and humid. Four seasons experienced in one day.

Anyways, once I am back home, I have some interesting pics to show, including the 5.56mm Pindad SS2-V.1, which is not even on the INet yet, so, you'll see it first on here.

As of tomorrow, everyone starts to pack up and return to their units and countires. We leave on Wednesday for Brisbane, and I have to confess, its been a long month.

Once home, I'll be putting up the Christmas lights on the house, and on the wknd, buy a tree. Its been a fast year for us all.

Watch for the pics.

Cheers,

Wes

They'll be excellent, and again, I will post them ASAP.

It was the last night for most internationals, and being the DO, it was a busy night, not racking out til 0345, and up before 0600. Tonight the movie The 40 Year Old Virgin is on here at the SMA, then after that a few whiskys, and then straight to the farter for a good night's sleep.

Cheers,

Wes

Back