• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A&W Papa Burgers: The choice of Griffon pilots everywhere

Something similar happened in town here over the summer. Except it was a pair of float planes that landed in a lake (Lake Pisiquid, by the causeway on the 101 for those familiar with the area) for a Timmies run, then took off again.

Oddball

One of the problems with cross-country flights is that a lot of the smaller airports that actually have jet fuel do not have a restaurant or other food source nearby. One can cab it into town or walk a couple of k, but that takes time. Two such meals can therefore kill a couple of hours, or the equivalent of one fuel hop. Combined, that could add a day/night to a Borden-Wainwright trip. Not too many eating establishments have suitable space to land, though, and it obviously attracts attention.

It used to be fairly common when I did my Jet Ranger course in Portage to land behind Rotten Ronnie's on the highway at Brandon on cross-country trips.

We also used to stop in with a Griffon at the Dairy Queen in Orangeville on occasion several years ago. The old hospital helipad was close by, and the DQ owner liked helicopters so lunch was always free. No reporters ever came out.

Will somebody in the chain of command say anything? One would hope not. So long as this was justified, and it is easy to do that from my point of view, there should be no problem.

Loachman said:
One of the problems with cross-country flights is that a lot of the smaller airports that actually have jet fuel do not have a restaurant or other food source nearby. One can cab it into town or walk a couple of k, but that takes time. Two such meals can therefore kill a couple of hours, or the equivalent of one fuel hop. Combined, that could add a day/night to a Borden-Wainwright trip. Not too many eating establishments have suitable space to land, though, and it obviously attracts attention.

It used to be fairly common when I did my Jet Ranger course in Portage to land behind Rotten Ronnie's on the highway at Brandon on cross-country trips.

We also used to stop in with a Griffon at the Dairy Queen in Orangeville on occasion several years ago. The old hospital helipad was close by, and the DQ owner liked helicopters so lunch was always free. No reporters ever came out.

Will somebody in the chain of command say anything? One would hope not. So long as this was justified, and it is easy to do that from my point of view, there should be no problem.

Very well said Loach,

As a side note, I find these actions to be very good for PR with the public.

If the military PA gurus were smart, they would advise the chain of command to allow more of this to happen.  It would allow the public to further see we are serving their nation, and are human too.

We see too much of the public gathering around to view the hearses bringing our troops home.  Why not let the public see our troops alive and doing every day things?

Man, if me and my kiddies saw a chopper land at the local DQ or A&W, I would have to listen to them how cool it was to see soldiers for the next week!

I would rather them talking about that, than to have them mourn as young kiddies.

I say seize the moment when Canada's military is respected once again, and not because of loss, but of service and commonality

dileas

tess

Yup, a mini-Op Connection, at no cost and combined with reasonable efficiency. Some excitement for the locals, good PR for us, time saved for two crews, and six full stomaches. Everybody should be happy.

That would have been the FE who went in for the pick-up, rather than one of the pilots. It's a lot easier that way.

As for regulations (earlier question), we are governed principally by B-GA-100 Canadian Forces Flying Orders, and then 1 CAD Orders.

I haven't been into Kenora for a couple of years, on a Wainwright trip, and I'm trying to remember what it was like. We spent the night before in Thunder Bay, so we wouldn't have been looking for food there. Waiting for the cab each way between Dauphin and the town took much longer than it did for the trips and meal, though.

Great story, great pics. 
Hey, when you're hungry, you're hungry.  And some times ya just can't get delivery. ;D

ENGINEERS WIFE said:
Great story, great pics. 
Hey, when you're hungry, you're hungry.  And some times ya just can't get delivery. ;D

:) amen

ENGINEERS WIFE said:
Great story, great pics. 

Yup.  And it increased sales for A&W.  The wife is working the evening shift - so I didn't feel like cooking.  Off I went to the local A&W for a Papa Burger (and a Baby Burger for my faithful canine sidekick).

Roy Harding said:
Yup.  And it increased sales for A&W.  The wife is working the evening shift - so I didn't feel like cooking.  Off I went to the local A&W for a Papa Burger (and a Baby Burger for my faithful canine sidekick).

But, Roy, the burning question is......was your mode of transportation quite as fancy?  hehehe  ;)

They carried thr story on CBC radio and TV last night - DND was reportedly "going to speak to the crew".

I hope the CO has some sense of humour about this...

MARS said:
They carried thr story on CBC radio and TV last night - DND was reportedly "going to speak to the crew".

I hope the CO has some sense of humour about this...

"Next time pick me up a Momma Burger."  ;D

The airport at Kenora is outside the town.  The second news story brings up the true reason for this stop over.  They were saving time and money by allowing the first helicopter to refuel first, while the other went and picked up food.  They saved a cab ride in and the extra couple of hours that Loachman was talking about.

Helicopters can and will land in any flat stretch of territory about the size of a tennis court.  This does not contravene the CARs nor does it impact on the B-GA-100 and our associated DIV flying orders.  I imagine that where this A&W is located does not qualify as a built up area either.

Good news story - should be treated as such by the MSM and DND.

And a response from the Minister's office.

http://www.canada.com/news/Military+helicopter+touches+down+burgers/2063530/story.html
Investigation launched after Forces helicopter touches down for burgers

Canwest News Service October 3, 2009 11:01 AM

A spokesman for Defence Minister Peter MacKay said Saturday an investigation has been launched after a Canadian Forces helicopter pilot landed in Kenora recently - apparently to pick up some cheeseburgers.

"The matter is under investigation to determine what happened. As such, I can't say much more until all the facts are gathered," wrote Dan Dugas, the minister's director of communications in an e-mail.

On Thursday, employees at an A&W fast-food restaurant were surprised to see a military pilot walk in and make a takeout order - while his helicopter was parked outside.

Michelle Patterson, who has worked at the restaurant for 16 years, said Friday she was shocked to see flying dust when the helicopter landed on a baseball diamond across from the eatery.

The pilot joked about wanting to go through the drive-thru but apparently said he wasn't able to fit.

He ordered enough food for six people, and told her he was on his way to refuel at the airport before flying to Thunder Bay, Ont., and eventually back to Quebec, Patterson said.

The minister's spokesman said there were no public safety concerns surrounding the landing.

"First of all, at no time during the landing or takeoff was there a danger to the public," he said in the e-mail. "The Forces thank the local police for securing the sports field for the helicopter's landing."

He could not comment on how often military pilots touch down in public spaces to get dinner or what protocols need to be in place.

How the F*CK is this any different than the SAR guys landing at a Boston Pizza?

As a taxpayer, if everything was done safely (which I trust it was), I'd be upset if this "investigation" ties up loads and loads of CF staff time.  It's great PR for the military, it's good face-to-face outreach and it's putting a few bucks into a local economy.  What's bad about that?

I love this story. I am happy to see that the CoC hasn't flinched or made a big deal out of it. It's cool, as Loachman said, a mini-Op Connection with no additional cost.

The public got to see that our military are 'real people' too, they eat!

Investigation? Yeesh. I hope it's short, sweet and does nothing more than admit that "Operation Papa Burger has been a complete success

If NDHQ acts like this is a bad thing, then the reporters will smell blood and chase them, causing them to chase their tails. In the mining business and in my current business landing a helicopter near a place to grab lunch is almost common place.

Back