• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A question (Aimed at recruiters, but anyone can reply)

Fry

Inactive
Reaction score
Here's the situation, regretfully...

I left for basic in Oct, Came back early November. Had a death in the family, a family member diagnosed as terminal, an injury that took me off course (The list keeps piling but those are the important ones). Anywho, I plan to return to regforce but I want to finish college first.

Here's the question:

Can I join the local reserve unit, despite the voluntary release?

If so, does the recruiting for reserves go quicker or slower than regforce?

Yes but you still have to wait six months after your release before you can apply and you get in the reserves within a couple of weeks as same as you can in the Reg F in some trades.

Fry,

If I remember correctly, you were looking to go AD Arty...

How much college do you have left? Are you willing to move for your college?

The reason I ask, you could go to UNB Fredericton, or St. Thomas U in Fredericton or even Mount Allison in Moncton, and be in the reserves as an Air Defender...that might make your future transfer to the regs a little quicker...

Otherwise...I would suggest you wait your six months then rejoin...you might be able to take a credit or two here and there (some colleges offer distance learning and are understanding of CF Operational Duties, Royal Rhodes in BC, I think is one). By taking a couple of credits every year to try to finish your education, you will be showing initiative...which usually translates to a nice PER/PDR.

But ultimately the decision lies in your lap.

go back to the regs......asap

.........take the Cdn Arty Wife recommendation. Get back in and work that way.

......u want to go overseas...go reg

There is *nothing* wrong with serving in the Reserves. (I'm lookin' at you HFXCrow) You can be a full-time student, get a tuition reimbursement, and still serve. You'll finish your program faster that way, and have more choice the the programs offered (vice trying via distance education).

Switching down to the reserves is a long process, but it can be done. We have several people who switched over from the Regs to the Reserves without *too* many problems (CFRG being what it is). As a rocommendation, start calling up your local reserve units and seeing what needs to be done.

As for the 'overseas' comment someone made in a previous post, Reservists can have a very high Op tempo, depending on trade. Ask any Signaller or Int Op. (or cbt arms soldier...they're looking for Company Groups worth of reserve soldiers for future rotos).

These are just options, as CdnArtyWife mentioned, the choice is yours

ex class B bum........tough cycle to get out of

I was a reserve. And you are right nothing wrong.

Go regs

I would rather finish college yet. I did a few years in university, but I want to do a college engineering program, it's 3 years. The reserves would help me along, plus some spare spending money. Also, I would be able to say I served in the Royal Newfoundland Regiment, which would be an honor.

I do plan on returning to regforce, but incase something else happens, I'd like to have a piece of paper from the college saying I'm an engineer. I'd hate to return home and have nothing to fall back on. Besides, it doesn't hurt to have education.

So you have to wait 6 months? This applies to joining the reserves? I was unaware of that....

Fry said:
I would rather finish college yet. I did a few years in university, but I want to do a college engineering program, it's 3 years. The reserves would help me along, plus some spare spending money. Also, I would be able to say I served in the Royal Newfoundland Regiment, which would be an honor.

Sounds as if you made up your mind. That is a good thing!

I do plan on returning to regforce, but incase something else happens, I'd like to have a piece of paper from the college saying I'm an engineer. I'd hate to return home and have nothing to fall back on. Besides, it doesn't hurt to have education.

Smart man...Education is very important...glad you realize that.

Thanks, support is always great.

Still wondering though, is the wait 6 months from reg force release to enter reserves?

No you can CT immediately if you see the Unit you want to go into and make arrangements with them prior to your Release, and then inform the the Release Section.  It may take you six months, or more, if you go on the SUPP LIST.  Talk to your Release Section for details.

George Wallace said:
No you can CT immediately if you see the Unit you want to go into and make arrangements with them prior to your Release, and then inform the the Release Section.   It may take you six months, or more, if you go on the SUPP LIST.   Talk to your Release Section for details.

Do believe he is already out.

Kincanucks is right. Any way around the 6 months?

Fry said:
Kincanucks is right. Any way around the 6 months?

Not really but it doesn't hurt to enquire at the reserve unit that you want to apply to in a couple of months .

If you have already released, regretably, you will have to wait the 6 months before being able to re-apply, even for the reserves.  After that, they will still do a verification of former service (VFS) to determine your release item still makes you employable in any componemt of the CF.  Someone who is not trade qualified does not have the opportunity to join Supp Res.

I see. Well, I released on good terms, and well the shoulder's almost at 100%. I don't feel any pain. Guess my physio therapist here was right. Only an inflamed tendon. I swear, it felt like my shoulder was torn in two while I was in Borden.

Only an inflamed tendon.
Well thats some good news, could have been something much worse. Were you given advice or exercises to prevent it from happening again?

Yup, and I'm doing them. I also get laser treatments twice a week. I was told, the reason the MO diagnosed it as a tear, because the tendon was so inflamed, it was limiting my range of movement and everything pointed to a rotator cuff tear. I still find it a little bit, however it's improved BIGTIME compared to my stay in Borden.

All of the staff there seemed to fully condone my releasing. The thoughts of having to spend that much time in PAT would make me want to release and never consider the military again. The little while I was in PAT platoon in Borden, I was drove insane.

I hear PAT will do that to ya...

I have a friend...who was on BOTP with my hubby, he was on PAT (for a number of reasons) so long...he ended up going NCM...just wanted to get his career started.

Back