• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A Problem

sgtdixon

Inactive
Reaction score
Because Ive been asked what is was that happened
Well I know im gonna catch all holy **** for admitting what I did and how bad ive Effed up here but I need a few opinions.

On Nov 29 there ws an altercation at my house and i, along with two females was assaulted, being afraid for my life at this point (the assailants were 6‘4" 300pds) I grabbed from under a bed an Unloaded, Triggerlocked .308 lever action with the firing pin removed earlier in the year after hunting season and cradeled it in my arms and asked the two jagoffs to leave immediately.
At this point they called the police on me and I was arrested and charged.. (odd how defending oneself and ones home gets you arrested)
How badly will this affect my joining the armed forces? I know if i recieve a criminal record im totally Effed, however what if i just recieve a fine or something of that ilk? will it barr me from the army and can i appeal this at all. I know my stupid actions may have done in my dreams of serving my country, but any thought or anything you have to say is much appreciated.

I think better answered in recruiting forum.

I‘m not a lawyer and its a good idea to take your question to one.

The catch is in the terminology. If you are charged AND convicted of a crime then you will have to present this to the CF. If you are charged, and found not guilty or NOT convicted of a crime, then don‘t worry about it. It can be left unsaid in the past.

Once again, this is a question more for a lawyer
or someone knowledgable to give legal advice.

Just remember even if tried or convicted it would be in your best interest to seek a pardon, a lawyer would be able to assist in that as well.

Without knowing any other details;

If you have a criminal record it will most likely affect you eligibility to join the forces.

First thing I can say is get a lawyer, it may cost you a chunk of change but one thing that I do know, even with reference to summary offences people who have a lawyer usually come out better than those that don‘t.

Once you have a lawyer, you have 3 options of avoiding a criminal record;

1. Get acquitted (highly unlikely as you‘ve admitted commiting the offence).

2. Find out if there is a diversion/alternate measures program in your area. This will allow you to preform community service and in return the crown will stay the charges.

3. Ask your lawyer to inquire about a absolute or conditional discharge in return for a guilty plea. An absolute discharge will not appear on a criminal record, nor will a conditional discharge as long as you comply with the conditions the judge sets forth at sentencing.

4. Regardless if you are convicted the only thing you can then do as regards your criminal record is apply for a pardon in 5 years.

I don‘t get it, what did you do wrong?

I defended my house and my safety by "Brandishing a Firearm", mind you it was unloaded, trigger locked, and the firing pin wasnt in the reciever, and i was arrested and charged with the above

Have they mentioned whether or not it will be a summary offence? If it is a summary offence you do not need to worry I don‘t believe.

If you are convicted of a Criminal Code charge, even if proceeded by summary proceedure you will recieve a criminal record unless you recieve an absolute or conditional discharge on conviction.

All and all consulting a lawyer might be your best bet.

*eater of the red berries*
(see they don‘t hurt you.....*twitch*.....honest)

I‘m with Infanteer...what offense?

The criminal code of Canada is pretty clear on this. I won‘t bother paraphrasing, but in short as politically un-correct as it may seem, you acually are allowed to fight back.

Like everyone else said, get a lawyer, and get rid of the charges...you‘ve done nothing illegal.

On a personal note, the there are few things in the world dumber than brandishing an unloaded firearm- if these "bad guys" really were bad, they may well have had guns of their own.

Another one: weapons are ok only in self defense, and phrases like "I feared for my life" had better be used- where‘d ya find the time to go and get a busted gun? ...

Violence, and the application thereof, is best applied with a clear head. Better yet is to avoid those situations. However, once it‘s started, it‘s often (imho) better to be more aggressive and violent than the opposition....

Lastly, size plain don‘t matter. Big guys fall down too

My question was more philisophical than actually concerned with your specific case.

I do know that brandishing a firearm is an offence. Even threatening to use one without actually showing the thing can get you into big caca. And I don‘t know the specifics of your case, so I won‘t comment.

However, in general, I disagree with the fact that the government has made it illegal to defend your house and life with a firearm. Technically, loading a weapon in an area where firing a weapon is illegal is an offence, so by blasting away a home invader your a commiting a firearms related offence.

Personally, I‘d rather be tried by 12 than carried out by 6. There was an old guy in my home town who was tried for killing one of four kids who broke into his remote home. The jury had the common sense to find the guy innocent.

One the point of a busted gun, My father keeps only one of the guns in the house operational all year, after hunting season the rest are disabled.

Well, are you really CF material? "Brandishing a firearm" in your defence? Does the CF really want individuals who use firearms to defend themselves?

You should have used polite language and reasoned with these guys. :D

Sorry, just trying to lighten you up a bit. Get a lawyer, you should be fine.

Personally, I‘d rather be tried by 12 than carried out by 6.
Hoo-f$cking-ah, brother. Preach it loud and strong.

Dixon, if you and two female companions were assaulted (actually physically roughed up in any form) by two larger hooligans, in your own home, and your only "crime" was grabbing a legally possessed weapon (ie you didn‘t verbalize a threat to shoot the MFers), then I say find the best lawyer you can, and tell the Crown to shove their mindless lib horsesh1t back up their a##. If the scenario I outline is what happened you did nothing wrong. Even if the "justice" system screws you and you are convicted of such a bull**** offence as holding a firearm to defend your home and person, then you walk out of that courthouse knowing that you did the right thing since you and your friend are still on this side of the soil.

True true, I Know i did the right thing but the court may see it otherwise, and if they do that means i gotta wait till im 23 to get my record expunged and that means waiting 5 years to Join mother green... gah thats 5 years i dont want to have to spend wasting in the labour industry

BTW:

It comes down to security clearance as well...
They will find out everything.. and the Govnt/CSIS can decline you for a level 2 or 3 clearance (secret/top) for any reason they like...

Back