• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A new Avro Arrow (or Super Arrow) instead of the F-35 (Merged thread)

Saw the representative of the new RCAF flying near Luke AFB in Phoenix, AZ on Saturday. The Super Arrow or simply screwed.

medicineman said:
Sounds like when I was looking for Somalia docs and found in the dungeon of my pharmacy stores several brass cans with bottles of dehydrated human plasma from dated from 1943.

MM
There's an urban legend that among other things they found a battery of 18 pounders, a Centurion and several hundred cavalry saddles.But strangely no paperwork on Somalia .
::)

GK .Dundas said:
There's an urban legend that among other things they found a battery of 18 pounders, a Centurion and several hundred cavalry saddles.But strangely no paperwork on Somalia .
::)

Spook friends of mine said they found Jimmy Hoffa as well - strangely enough, he was in WITSEC as the keeper of the lost files of Somalia.

MM

GK .Dundas said:
....a Centurion and several hundred cavalry saddles.
To be fair, that was in the Strathcona's QM......behind the gravy barrels.  Getting through all that gravy....to find anything.... would be an amazing feat.  ;)

Journeyman said:
To be fair, that was in the Strathcona's QM......behind the gravy barrels.  Getting through all that gravy....to find anything.... would be an amazing feat.  ;)

^^^This :goodpost:

We need a squadron crest for the new Arrow squadron. Here is my suggestion:

SeaKingTacco said:
Are you crapping me?

Do more than snap pic- notify your boss and call DHH. It probably needs to go the to Aviation museum!

My little piece of the arrow.

20151211_083240_zpskx7bs9ej.jpg

20151211_083235_zpsinb1wwt4.jpg

Of note, this group is actually BUILDING a flying, piloted, scaled replica of the Arrow:

https://www.facebook.com/AVROMuseum/

11225411_1013175535410076_1080274689882530195_o.jpg

11041832_898456453548652_8323678931608911549_n.jpg

http://www.avromuseum.com/

http://www.avromuseum.com/uploads/1/8/3/9/18390559/masterplan2014.pdf

They're already way ahead of the idiots who want us to trash the F-35 for their Super Arrow which is drawn on a napkin. Cool project!

Looking at the wooden frame, I think I know what they're using for propulsion.

roa011.jpg

dapaterson said:
Looking at the wooden frame, I think I know what they're using for propulsion.

roa011.jpg

roa011.jpg

Meets the twin engine requirement.  :nod:

Journeyman said:
roa011.jpg

roa011.jpg

Meets the twin engine requirement.  :nod:

Journeyman, you could have at least mirror-flipped the image on the long axis to provide appropriate centre-line symmetry...

[/boules-busting]

;D

To e honest, this group has a better chance of getting an Arrow (replica) flying than the "Super Arrow" does of ever seeing a hangar or a runway.

I will note that they've got wooden mock-ups, but the main wing-spars are actually Carbon Fiber.  They posted a video of them laying one up and vacuum sealing it to get the bubbles out.

They've got over $150k in the bank (according to one of their statements) have plans to buy a hangar, have $100,000 set aside for that and have a grant application in for fund matching.

It appears not to be a fly-by-night group, rather, they seem fairly well organized, funded, and their estimate is that they have 40% of the airframe done.

*Edit to add*  They also did structural testing of their wing spar design last year, and the loading was for 5000 lbs, the spar broke at 9,000 lbs.  Almost a 2X factor.

Neat.

Back