• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A Higher-Tech Hog: The A-10C PE Program

I_am_John_Galt

Inactive
Reaction score
New computer, two MFDs, true HOTAS, etc.: for those interested in these things ...  ;)

A Higher-Tech Hog: The A-10C PE Program

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/a-highertech-hog-the-a10c-pe-program-03187/

28-Aug-2007 14:06

he Precision Engagement modification is the largest single upgrade effort ever undertaken for the USA's unique A-10 "Warthog" close air support aircraft fleet. when complete, it will give them precision strike capability sooner than planned, combining multiple upgrade requirements into one time and money-saving program rather than executing them as standalone projects. Indeed, the USAF has accelerated the PE program by 9 months as a result of its experiences in Operation Iraqi Freedom.

The entire A-10 fleet will be modified over 4-5 years, at an estimated total cost of $420 million. While A/OA-10 aircraft continue to outperform technology-packed rivals on the battlefield, this set of upgrades is expected to help keep the aircraft current until the fleet's planned phase-out in 2028. Overall, an April 2, 2007 GAO report places the potential total cost of upgrading, refurbishing, and service life extension plans for the A/OA-10 force at up to $4.4 billion.

This is DID's FOCUS Article for the PE program, and for other modifications to the A-10 fleet. It covers the A-10's battlefield performance and advantages, the elements of the PE program, other planned modifications, and the contracts that have been issued each step of the way. In the latest updates SOCOM is thinking about its own wing of A-10s, and the A-10C has attained initial operational capability…

More on the link; pic below from same source

ELEC_A-10C_Cockpit_lg.jpg

I have it on good authority (LIE!!!) that this is where the newly developed MO/CP (Microwave Oven / Coffee Pot) Unit will go.

Heh... that's where the "flux capacitor" goes.

All humour asside, I am glad that the AF has seen the value of the Warthog and decided that this was a tool that they just had to have in their toolbox.  Their presence on any battlefield make the Combat arms types feel safe (most of the time).

Glad to see that one of my all time favourite combat aircraft will be around awhile longer.  From a historical perspective it's interesting to note that they're some platforms that have proven themselves so versatile, dependable, rugged and cost effective that despite technological advances no viable replacement has been found for them; for example, the Hercules, Chinook and the Warthog.

Back