• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A good balaclava?

ballz

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a good balaclava / scarf / shemagh / anything versatile enough to be used the same way (also, I'm told neoprene is the way to go?). I found out this week that the issue scarf / toque combo probably isn't going to cut it when ripping around in the LAVs with your head exposed in the colder weather (lucky for me it hasn't gotten too cold yet).

If anyone could shed some light on this topic, give a suggestion / link, that'd be much appreciated.

Cheers

For winter I've always just used a fleece toque and the issue neck gaiter,  worked fine for me when I've been in the driver/air sentry hatch of different vehicles,  also on LOSV/snow mobile.

Warmer weather I like using the spec ops recon wrap as a neck gaitor to cover my mouth/nose.
http://www.specopsbrand.com/tactical-gear/headgear/recon-wrap.html

Thanks, I'll definitely try and get the neck gaiter issued. Since I'm still in the training system at the Inf School though I have a feeling the reason I didn't know they existed until now is because they won't issue them to us, but it's worth a shot.

Is the stupidity of not issueing required kit still going on at CTC??  ::)

Everytime someone suggests that ppl in training "don't deserve/shouldn't be issued the kit everyone else is", I want to kick them in the junk.

That's weird because all land pers were issued the neck gaiter leaving St.Jean when I finished last November try and get one issued they are a great piece of kit

The best one I ever had (have actually) was a polarfleece material balaclava from Sears, purchased for @ $20.

It is large enough to be pulled down to become a neck gaiter, pulled up to become a hood or (using the drawstring) closed off to become a balaclava. It is also thin enough to wear under a helmet. It is actually far superior to the issue gaiter/balaclava combination, but is quite obviously not an issue piece of kit. Mine is black, sadly there were no green ones when I purchased it. I also have not seen these in stores for years, but perhaps someone with sewing skills could recreate them in green or Cadpat fleece...

Neoprene ski masks are great and relatively inexpensive. However, anything that insulates your face muffles your voice and makes commanding your vehicle that little bit harder.

I've an old CP Gear Jesse James.

Eye In The Sky said:
Is the stupidity of not issueing required kit still going on at CTC??  ::)

Everytime someone suggests that ppl in training "don't deserve/shouldn't be issued the kit everyone else is", I want to kick them in the junk.

Yes, I am staff here and I am down to a coat, raincoat, 3 combats, 2 boots, 1 tacvest, 1 helmet.  Everything else has been called back in over the past years to supply students.  The rest of my kit is bought by me.

Back