• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A Florida airport was evacuated after a huge guided missile was found

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone order something through Amazon that hasn't arrived yet? :)

A Florida airport was evacuated after a huge guided missile was found just sitting in a shipping container

When a contractor opened a container at Lakeland Linder International Airport in Florida on Friday, he probably wasn't expecting to find a massive guided missile just sitting there with that "I could blow this whole place up if I wanted to" expression on its stupid metal face.

Unfortunately, that's exactly what happened:

It's unclear how exactly this missile got there. According to local news reports the container originally arrived at the airport with pieces of an aircraft inside and belonged to a company called Draken International,

After the discovery, the civilian airport was evacuated and Air Force explosive ordnance disposal technicians from nearby MacDill Air Force Base were called in to remove the warhead, which was found to be live but not armed.

Draken International provided a statement to WTSP, a local news station, on the explosive discovery:

"Draken International, in the process of evaluating arriving shipments discovered something questionable and potentially explosive. Adhering to the explosive safety rule of exposing the minimum amount of people for the minimum amount of time to a potential explosive hazard the decision was made to evacuate the facility and its surrounding neighbors and contact the appropriate authorities. Draken takes its roll in the community seriously and always wants to ensure it performs safe and reliable operations."

Fortunately, personnel with the Lakeland Fire Department, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, and the EOD team from MacDill safely removed the ordnance. But talk about a MIS-guided missile, amirite?

https://www.businessinsider.com/florida-airport-evacuated-after-missile-found-in-shipping-container-2020-8?fbclid=IwAR0FFpdMKgZPM6oFYVv_HSk8a1SrL-qiMZQoq41xN7TZH1QIMtHKpJHak3s

Good one!
Coulda been a practice run?
Coulda been a nuke?

or

Coulda been somebody's over zealous expression of their 2A rights?

Donald H said:
Good one!
Coulda been a practice run?
Coulda been a nuke?

or

Coulda been somebody's over zealous expression of their 2A rights?

Or coulda just been poor bookkeeping on the part of whomever shipped that load to Draken International.

. . .  container originally arrived at the airport with pieces of an aircraft inside and belonged to a company called Draken International,  . . .

"Draken International, in the process of evaluating arriving shipments discovered something questionable and potentially explosive.

http://www.drakenintl.com/about-us
WITH A FLEET OF 150 TACTICAL FIGHTER AIRCRAFT, DRAKEN OWNS AND OPERATES THE WORLD’S LARGEST COMMERCIAL FLEET OF TACTICAL EX-MILITARY AIRCRAFT. DRAKEN SUPPORTS MILITARY TRAINING OBJECTIVES AROUND THE GLOBE, PROVIDING TREMENDOUS COST SAVINGS OVER THE USE OF TRADITIONAL MILITARY FIGHTER ASSETS. AS AN ORGANIZATION, WE ARE UNIQUELY POSITIONED TO ANSWER THE GROWING DEMAND FOR CONTRACT AIR SUPPORT.

This is a private air force engaging in a rather unique (though legal) business enterprise.  They buy and use many pieces of tactical hardware.  Was it a cock-up, sure, but to make the first suggestion that there was something nefarious or ideological involved is a bit of a stretch.

Blackadder1916 said:
Or coulda just been poor bookkeeping on the part of whomever shipped that load to Draken International.

http://www.drakenintl.com/about-us
This is a private air force engaging in a rather unique (though legal) business enterprise.  They buy and use many pieces of tactical hardware.  Was it a ****-up, sure, but to make the first suggestion that there was something nefarious or ideological involved is a bit of a stretch.

Blackadder, I took the OP by daftandbarmy as humour more than anything else and so my suggestions were meant as humour in return. Absolutely no intention of being serious about any of my 'coulda' beens.

And I should also say that might not have been daftandbarmy's intent.

Cheers!

Donald H said:
Blackadder, I took the OP by daftandbarmy as humour more than anything else and so my suggestions were meant as humour in return. Absolutely no intention of being serious about any of my 'coulda' beens.

And I should also say that might not have been daftandbarmy's intent.

Cheers!

You have correctly assumed that my intent was humour although, as I have been told before, sometimes it can be misconstrued as 'just trying to p*ss people off' :)

Back