• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A Deeply Fractured US

Crying it is, when you present yourself as an entertainer and your audience abandons you that hurts. Well, we did a Kimmel and messed up this thread with off topic posts. Anyway, there was nothing political in my initial post, it was a comment on their lack of interesting content.

1300% impact - but good or bad impact? :unsure:
They are always very vague about exactly what they mean -- but I'm really glad I never let them save my CC info back when I first donated years ago. But he's like herpes no matter how many times I take myself off email lists etc - it comes back again and again and again...

"I don't like this increasing polarization."

"Yay for the entertainers on my side who are increasing the polarization!"
Political satire is an important tool in healthy democracies. Sure, there is some bias, but when one side has such a wealth of insanity that makes it frequently difficult to know if something is satire or real and is actively encouraging their base with outright lies, it's pretty easy targets.

It's also quite different from encouraging for violence against journalists and others, which is a pretty standard fascist playbook item.

Political satire is an important tool in healthy democracies. Sure, there is some bias, but when one side has such a wealth of insanity that makes it frequently difficult to know if something is satire or real and is actively encouraging their base with outright lies, it's pretty easy targets.

It's also quite different from encouraging for violence against journalists and others, which is a pretty standard fascist playbook item.
So who is encouraging this here. I don't understand your post.

I resisted even looking in on this thread for so long. Then my curiosity peaked, even though I could guess the tone and bias.

I wasn’t disappointed.

I think I'll just go out in the yard and punch myself in the face for my stupidity.🤣

One side?
I’m thinking you missed the word both.

One side?
Bill Maher is a good example.

Segment on victimhood

His recent interview with Joe Rogan is pretty insightful. BLUF: Trumpism does produce an inordinate amount of ridiculous material. But there's also good content potential on the left (whenever they stray from common sense).

One side?
Fair enough, but when you look at Fox news outputs and compare it to CNN, there are biases both ways, but there seem to be a lot more blatant lies/truth spinning on Fox, and the 'stolen election' campaign is completely unfounded. Seeing the damages against Alex Jones hit $1.4 billion and going has restored a bit of faith, and there is something like $3B in lawsuits against the lawyers who said the voting machines were rigged.

I think the extremes of both parties are insane in their own special ways, but there are a fair number of moderate Republicans that are losing their primaries to conspiracy spinning lunatics, so it was nice to see them lose.

The same polarization is happening here as well, and it's pretty sad. The actual difference between people is pretty small, with usually some strong opinions on particular issues, but for the most part that's a small percentage and folks are roughly in agreement on the bulk of the rest of it. With that much common ground don't get why some of these charismatic people try and unite both sides instead of ramping up one. The most effective (and also the scariest) leaders were the ones that got everyone on board.

Fair enough, but when you look at Fox news outputs and compare it to CNN, there are biases both ways, but there seem to be a lot more blatant lies/truth spinning on Fox, and the 'stolen election' campaign is completely unfounded. Seeing the damages against Alex Jones hit $1.4 billion and going has restored a bit of faith, and there is something like $3B in lawsuits against the lawyers who said the voting machines were rigged.

I think the extremes of both parties are insane in their own special ways, but there are a fair number of moderate Republicans that are losing their primaries to conspiracy spinning lunatics, so it was nice to see them lose.

The same polarization is happening here as well, and it's pretty sad. The actual difference between people is pretty small, with usually some strong opinions on particular issues, but for the most part that's a small percentage and folks are roughly in agreement on the bulk of the rest of it. With that much common ground don't get why some of these charismatic people try and unite both sides instead of ramping up one. The most effective (and also the scariest) leaders were the ones that got everyone on board.
As long as the default response to anyone with a dissenting opinion being "stupid", or "idiot", or "moron", or my personal favourite "unacceptable views" is commonplace and allowed to slide, people are going to get their hackles up and push back. It's hard not to take it personally when such personal language is used, no?

As long as the default response to anyone with a dissenting opinion being "stupid", or "idiot", or "moron", or my personal favourite "unacceptable views" is commonplace and allowed to slide, people are going to get their hackles up and push back. It's hard not to take it personally when such personal language is used, no?

This goes both ways, Libtards, Justinflation, Wacky Left ...

The extremism on both ends is just a reaction to each other. And its all pushed by the media to make bank.

This goes both ways, Libtards, Justinflation, Wacky Left ...

The extremism on both ends is just a reaction to each other. And its all pushed by the media to make bank.
I never said it didn't. The fastest way to get people behind hating your enemy and doing shitty things to them is to debase them and make them less than you. They're not really people, at least not our sort of people, no loss if they went away somehow.

Some of those primary winners won with Democratic backing: money, and open primary votes. Democrats have in the past encouraged members to switch registration to vote in closed Republican primaries; not sure how much that was used to effect this year. They own a piece of conspiracy-spinning lunatics in the general, and they own a piece of denying a better choice to the voters.

The same polarization is happening here as well, and it's pretty sad. The actual difference between people is pretty small …
And the difference between regions of the country is also small, but we paint whole swaths of the map in favour of a party winner who may only have captured a third of the vote.

I never said it didn't. The fastest way to get people behind hating your enemy and doing shitty things to them is to debase them and make them less than you. They're not really people, at least not our sort of people, no loss if they went away somehow.

I never said you did. Just adding balance and perspective.

Back