• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A Deeply Fractured US

Absolutely this affects us. Political dynamics and movements leak across the border. We have Canadian politicians at both federal and provincial levels who want to see abortion illegal in Canada and would act to do so if given the chance. The camel has tried to stick its nose under the tent flap several times already. We should not think for a second that there are not people who are or who want to be in positions of power in Canada who would strip reproductive rights from women. Events south of the border should be a caution to us of how jealously rights must be safeguarded. Unfortunately, those same events embolden those who threaten those rights here.

Separately, we’re perfectly entitled to lament happenings in another country. If we can be dismayed by a foreign invasion, mass shooting, or environmental disaster, we can sure as hell express an opinion on the stripping of rights from tens of millions of women at the stroke of a pen. When your neighbour beats his wife, that’s something you’re allowed to be upset about.

And I do hope our current PM keeps his mouth shut. I also hope that the SoCons in the CPC also keep their mouths shut.
#DareToDream
Interesting how quickly it goes from Right wing extremists/terrorism to Left wing extremists/terrorism. Maybe it is just a decent proportion of their society is nuts.
Nuts at the furthest points of both ends -- I think it's more like this ....
PoliticalSpectrum.jpg
... When your neighbour beats his wife, that’s something you’re allowed to be upset about.
With some folks, it seems that's only true if you don't like or agree with the husband. I note a lot of folks don't mind bringing up whenever our own current federal leadership or new laws/proposals have been dissed by foreign leaders ;)

If we can be dismayed by a foreign invasion, mass shooting, or environmental disaster, we can sure as hell express an opinion on the stripping of rights from tens of millions of women at the stroke of a pen. When your neighbour beats his wife, that’s something you’re allowed to be upset about.

But it looks a bit sanctimonious, and hypocritical:

Rex Murphy: Justin Trudeau has become a punchline on the world stage — for good reason​

"It is a brazen thing to go to other countries like some John the Baptist for the democracies, shortly after having trampled all over the rights of those involved in a largely peaceful democratic protest."

Never misses a chance to flaunt his faux superiority. Ignore him. He's trying to shift the heat he's feeling over his interference in the NS massacre. Lucki has already been thrown under the bus, but the accusations are still sticking to him. Nobody believes that him and blair were not involved. Like he was never involved with the SNC debacle? This isn't going to work either. Nobody is listening. People are tired of him and are ignoring whatever he says. They won't waste their time listening to lies and bullshit any more. This is all pure improv theatre., directed by the PMO.

the abortion landscape/divide in the US

I cant see anything positive coming out of this decision unfortunately. There will be more calls for expanding the court and getting rid of the filibuster and attempts to expand the ruling to reverse gay marriage that will only exacerbate what ever divide there is down south.

In 10-15 years you'll see a major spike in crime and poverty in the US.

Hmm, maybe I misheard. I was sure that she was a pro-choicer.

Unless they snuck in a pro-choicer while I blinked, this is the CBC piece in which the interviewee referred to the PM as "virtue signaling". She is identified as being with the Campaign Life Coalition, a group which, according to its website, is anti-abortion and also has very "traditional" (read backward) views regarding homosexuality, gender identity and definition of marriage.

I cant see anything positive coming out of this decision unfortunately. There will be more calls for expanding the court and getting rid of the filibuster and attempts to expand the ruling to reverse gay marriage that will only exacerbate what ever divide there is down south.
They'll only be able to push for that over the summer. After November, it won't matter. Starting January 23, a lot of those people, Pelosi, Schumer, Nadler, Schiff and a bunch of others are going to be fighting for their political lives during their own impeachment hearings.

They'll only be able to push for that over the summer. After November, it won't matter. Starting January 23, a lot of those people, Pelosi, Schumer, Nadler, Schiff and a bunch of others are going to be fighting for their political lives during their own impeachment hearings.
You realize you just named four people who cannot be impeached because that’s not a mechanism applicable to members of congress?

If you want to suggest that somehow the republicans will get two thirds of one house or the other and use that to censure or expel members, I mean sure, I guess theoretically that could happen… I wouldn’t see that as likely being in the realm of reality though.

Their fates, like the rest of congress, will be decided by their constituents come the next election where each of them faces the ballot again.

Unless they snuck in a pro-choicer while I blinked, this is the CBC piece in which the interviewee referred to the PM as "virtue signaling". She is identified as being with the Campaign Life Coalition, a group which, according to its website, is anti-abortion and also has very "traditional" (read backward) views regarding homosexuality, gender identity and definition of marriage.
Those people with their unacceptable view, I tell ya... :cool:

This from the U.S. DHS (source)

More in attached - edited to add this footnote from the brief (highlight mine):

Screenshot_20220625-103406.png
Twitter is already rife with such threats. Good on DHS.

Regarding the idea that this is of concern to the Canadian government... Presumably the handful of folks that would be crossing the border for abortions would be 1. Few in numbers, as most northern states allow it, and 2. Uninsured in Canada, so they'd have to pay out of pocket, at no cost to our healthcare system.

Just because something affects some Canadians doesn't mean it's of national concern. I don't call my MP whenever I get bad service at Tim Hortons...

Those people with their unacceptable view, I tell ya... :cool:

Yes, it is my opinion that their view is unacceptable to me. I usually have no problem with people who believe abortion, homosexuality, transgenderism and non-traditional marriage is wrong. I have a simple way of dealing with them; I ignore them. However, when "their view" is that they intend to make all those things illegal and thus impose their opinion on me, then I feel I have every right to make my distain of their view (and the specific individuals personally) known.

Sadly this is what Justice Thomas is now going for: reevaluate other decisions such as protecting contraceptive access, same-sex relationships and same-sex marriages.

All the other Justices do not want to go there:

Yes, it is my opinion that their view is unacceptable to me. I usually have no problem with people who believe abortion, homosexuality, transgenderism and non-traditional marriage is wrong. I have a simple way of dealing with them; I ignore them. However, when "their view" is that they intend to make all those things illegal and thus impose their opinion on me, then I feel I have every right to make my distain of their view (and the specific individuals personally) known.
Unacceptable is just not a good word for it.

You can strongly disagree with them without claiming their views are unacceptable and implying they should be censored or worst.

You realize you just named four people who cannot be impeached because that’s not a mechanism applicable to members of congress?

If you want to suggest that somehow the republicans will get two thirds of one house or the other and use that to censure or expel members, I mean sure, I guess theoretically that could happen… I wouldn’t see that as likely being in the realm of reality though.

Their fates, like the rest of congress, will be decided by their constituents come the next election where each of them faces the ballot again.

Clearly, its a consiracy.

View attachment 71597
Twitter is already rife with such threats. Good on DHS.

Regarding the idea that this is of concern to the Canadian government... Presumably the handful of folks that would be crossing the border for abortions would be 1. Few in numbers, as most northern states allow it, and 2. Uninsured in Canada, so they'd have to pay out of pocket, at no cost to our healthcare system.

Just because something affects some Canadians doesn't mean it's of national concern. I don't call my MP whenever I get bad service at Tim Hortons...
I don't believe DHS. There was the assassination attempt on SCJ Kavanaugh that was totally ignored by the Pelosi and the House democrats and DHS. Meanwhile, illegal protests, a federal crime, remain in front of Republican Judges homes 24 hrs a day. Listen to what Barr has to say on the subject. The left is like the Borg.

Pro-choice protests at Supreme Court justices' homes breaks federal law: Bill Barr​

Back