• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A Deeply Fractured US

In other news that is sure to cause more social division in the US.

I came here to post this. The protests this will generate, if it’s true, will be - quite rightly - momentous.

I came here to post this. The protests this will generate, if it’s true, will be - quite rightly - momentous.
It's also the kind of thing that can bring down governments, and with the midterms coming....

It's also the kind of thing that can bring down governments, and with the midterms coming....
Obvious move for the Dems - which is already on the radar - is to expand the bench in the Supreme Court. Watch for that to become a midterms issue.

Obvious move for the Dems - which is already on the radar - is to expand the bench in the Supreme Court. Watch for that to become a midterms issue.
As I recall they want to expand to 9 judges correct?

As I recall they want to expand to 9 judges correct?
There are already 9 judges on the US Supreme Court. Some democrats want to give Congress and the HoR the ability to expand to 13, which would then give them, as the ruling party, the "power" to appoint 4 new justices, which would theoretically give them a liberal majority on the court, overriding Trump appointees. It has always been thus, as GOP and Democratic influence waxed and waned.

The "stolen" appointment looms large in this. As does the death of Ruth Bader Ginsburg. The Dems are going to use this to massively mobilize their base, it's a perfect wedge issue going into the midterms, that may override in many people's minds inflation. Biden with a war bump and now this.

And just to be clear the Rep's don't need mobilization on this issue, they have all their boots on the ground that vote that way already. The Dems can move a large number of non-voters to vote with this one.

"I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born." - Ronald Reagan

Is this the first ever leak of a pending SCC decision? That is deplorable.

The difference here is that leftists never have any problems with institutional breakdown so long as it serves their side.

And now, protests are once again ok and packing the court to change the outcomes is a just course of action.

Court packing (increasing the number of justices) is highly unlikely. Senators Manchin and Synema are both against it, and are also both against removing legislative filibusters. The latter implies no new legislation on the matter will go anywhere if Republicans do not support it.

Reactions: QV
"I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born." - Ronald Reagan

Is this the first ever leak of a pending SCC decision? That is deplorable.

The difference here is that leftists never have any problems with institutional breakdown so long as it serves their side.

And now, protests are once again ok and packing the court to change the outcomes is a just course of action.
Protests were always ok. Unlawful protests not so much.

A joke, at the expense of the fanciful people who make films and TV shows.
Or commissions that study the assassination of presidents, but that was more hard directional changes and an apparent lack of deformity.

And just to be clear the Rep's don't need mobilization on this issue, they have all their boots on the ground that vote that way already.
It's actually odd that they haven't shifted gears. Plenty of other issues to find that resonate with their base without picking something so inflammatory.

Though I suppose there's been a lot of water under the bridge since the late 70's and abortion legislation has long since become a core belief rather than a chosen issue to get evangelicals to vote in support of segregation. Hard to back down now.

They needed a distraction. Biden was/ is taking a beating and running up to the midterms, they need to try take biden's agenda out of the equation.

I expect this will be a very hot summer down there. Government is about to shut down for the summer and many important matters will just be left on the table. Sure as god made little green apples, some white cop is going to shoot a black guy and cue BLM and ANTIFA. Looting, burning, killing will occupy the airwaves with each side blaming the other. When they return, it'll all be about the midterms. After November, they have a lame duck system until January, when the new blood gets sworn in. If the dems win, expect biden to triple down (if he is still president) if the GOP win, I expect a number of impeachment trials, passing legislation to complete the wall and shut down the southern border. With luck, they'll have a large enough majority, that they can veto an executive order.

I noticed that in the noise, few of the politicians or the reporter comment that what the court is saying about Roe vs Wade is that it's not the courts job to make law and how society is to treat an issue like abortion is up to the politicians to make a well written law in it's regard that is constitutional. The best way forward is to say "Roe vs Wade" will be struck down by the courts in 2 years and Congress is to address the issue in that time".

Back