• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A couple of questions

Thorium

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have some questions that could be answered at the recruitment center but since it is closed for the next 2 days I hope I can get them answered here, if not I'll have to give them a visit.

1. How is the part-time BMQ during Fall compared to the Summer course? In terms of temperature and weather.
2. How long do I have to serve in the reserve before I could switch jobs? Basically I first wanted to be a boatswain but because it took me a while to find my references, they weren't looking for boatswains anymore and I settled with Infantry and the Royal Montreal Regiment just to get the "feeling" of it and because I was tired of waiting to try out the military life and would love to get back to the Navy ASAP.
3. Is it true that you sometimes travel during the weekend when you're a reservist in the Navy?
4. How come there are no requirements to be a Medical Assistant in the Navy?
And finally 5. I read a post on this forum about the day in the Navy, on a boat, is it really that bad? (I'll go find that post and edi

I can comment about the boat. I was on the HMCS Halifax and was sick from the moment I got on until the moment I got off. Everyone is different. It's really quite huge inside and an awesome experience

Leeworthy said:
I can comment about the boat. I was on the HMCS Halifax and was sick from the moment I got on until the moment I got off. Everyone is different. It's really quite huge inside and an awesome experience

Wow and they said that you would adapt fairly quickly.

I was fine when I was up on deck and I could see the horizon. But once I was below deck just the movement and not being able to focus on a fixed point it did me in. Everyone is different. You Kay not have any issues or if you do you may get over it. I didn't.

Which is weird because when I was a kid my dad was stationed on the Halifax and we went out for a family day thing. Did man overboard drills. Dumped Oscar in the Atlantic, recovered him and ate some of the best damn chowder I had ever tasted. I had no issues that day. The seas were also very calm.

The day I was on the Halifax when I was older, the seas and swells were around d 12-15 feet and the winds were quite high.

Leeworthy said:
I was fine when I was up on deck and I could see the horizon. But once I was below deck just the movement and not being able to focus on a fixed point it did me in. Everyone is different. You Kay not have any issues or if you do you may get over it. I didn't.

Which is weird because when I was a kid my dad was stationed on the Halifax and we went out for a family day thing. Did man overboard drills. Dumped Oscar in the Atlantic, recovered him and ate some of the best damn chowder I had ever tasted. I had no issues that day. The seas were also very calm.

The day I was on the Halifax when I was older, the seas and swells were around d 12-15 feet and the winds were quite high.

My main reason as to why I wanted to join the reserve was to experience military life and do humanitarian help, will that still be possible in the navy? I've seen only people in cadpat do humanitarian help.

Well, when I was in Haiti the HMCS Halifax was there to support humanitarian and medical relief efforts. So yes. You will still do this wearing a black uniform.

1. Currently on course in the Reserves BMQ full-time summer course, finished week 1. I can't comment much on the weekend BMQ portion, but I think doing the full-time is much better. You don't have to re-adjust from civilian life to military life every weekend, and can sometimes be a pain in the rear to schedule your life around the weekend courses.

2. If you have the intention of joining a certain trade, I highly suggest you do the military a gigantic favour and wait it out until it's open. It costs the CF lots of money to get soldiers trained to a specific trade, not only that, you are infact taking up a slot for a trade that someone else might be dying to get.
Also to answer your question, they most likely wouldn't even let you transfer to another trade until after two years as an Infantryman, possibly more...
3. If you are referring to the field-portion of the 1 weekend a month after being trained, I believe so.
4. Medical Assistant & Medical Technician have different job standard/requirements. You will be taught all you need in the CF as a medical assistant, but medical technicians require a certificate at a college because it requires a higher-level of understanding.
5. I have no clue

Mateo0881 said:
How can I switch from cook to a different trade in the navy

Search occupational transfer. I found this:

https://army.ca/forums/index.php/board,44.0.html

Tons of info there.

Back