• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A Canadian Legend, Gordon Lightfoot Passes Away At 84

Sad, but not unexpected. He was the closest thing to a modern day troubadour; he told stories to us about us.

I just saw a quote from George Stroumboulopoulos: "He sat on top of the mountain. He shared what he saw. For so many around the world, they knew our stories because of him."

We had the pleasure of seeing him many times at Massey Hall in the earlier years. The wife and daughter saw him just before they closed the Hall for renovations. The voice was weaker and the range was gone, but the love of his craft was still there.

RIP to a legend. We don't make many any more.

George Strait would like to have a word with you.

RIP Mr. Lightfoot.
Perhaps. Country singers tell 'personal angst' stories (what happens when you play a country song backwards . . . ). Folk singers more 'social angst' stories.

Besides, he is American, so not my definition of "us".

George Strait would like to have a word with you.

Perhaps. Country singers tell 'personal angst' stories (what happens when you play a country song backwards . . . ). Folk singers more 'social angst' stories.

No disrepect to Gord R.I.P..

But, I listened to "the Hillbilly Shakespeare" from Alabama, Hank Williams.

When I felt the need for a member of the Canadian Songwriters Hall of Fame, I went with Hank Snow.

Though he had success as a singer/songwriter south of the border (where it seemingly mattered) in the 1960s, it was "Black Day in July" that got him wider recognition in the USA - having a song banned pulled from radio stations in 30 states will get people talking about you as someone who has something meaningful to say.

The church bell chimed 'til it rang twenty-nine times
That refers to the bell at the Mariners Church ( The Maritime Sailors Cathedral) in Detroit. You can see it immediately as you come out of the Windsor/Detroit Tunnel' They ring the bell every year for sailors who have lost their lives on the Great Lakes.

Pic of the Church. Windsor in the background

Though he had success as a singer/songwriter south of the border (where it seemingly mattered) in the 1960s, it was "Black Day in July" that got him wider recognition in the USA - having a song banned pulled from radio stations in 30 states will get people talking about you as someone who has something meaningful to say.

Another Detroit reference, about the 1967 riots. Started when the cops busted a Blind Pig (illegal after hours bar). Windsor sent our fire dept over with their trucks to try help out. Lots of people shot at that one.

Right there side by side with Leonard Cohen.

Godspeed Mr Lightfoot

I listened to my two favorite Lightfoot songs on the way to work. Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald and the Canadian Railroad Trilogy.

And it got me to thinking - rare I know but it does happen from time to time.

We need more Lightfoots, Stompin Toms and Gord Downeys. And less Tik Tok, social media and "influencers".

And dare I say it - common sense.

I listened to my two favorite Lightfoot songs on the way to work. Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald and the Canadian Railroad Trilogy.

And it got me to thinking - rare I know but it does happen from time to time.

We need more Lightfoots, Stompin Toms and Gord Downeys. And less Tik Tok, social media and "influencers".

And dare I say it - common sense.
and Ian Tysons.

Back