• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

911 Response, WTF??

BernDawg

Inactive
Reaction score
Calgary couple loses faith in 911

Break-and-enter victims wait 5 hours for help

By Katie SCHNEIDER, QMI Agency

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Crime/2010/07/25/14819636.html

They should have told the operator they had a gun and were going to look for the intruder.  I bet the night shift would have hauled ass then....

Thank God this story isn't about two dead people, killed when burglars exited their house and saw them watching them from inside their family car...

Poor show 911/CPS.  :(

This is definitely an embarrassing story for the police and dispatch. There's obviously something that went wrong, so I'll be interested to find out what it was.

Good2Golf said:
Thank God this story isn't about two dead people, killed when burglars exited their house and saw them watching them from inside their family car...

Poor show 911/CPS.  :(

Unfortunately, sometimes the 911 system doesn't work as it supposed to:

Group calls for racism review in Winnipeg Police Service

Date: Fri. Apr. 27 2001 8:17 AM ET

A Winnipeg native group wants a review of racism in the city's police service. The request comes after 911 operators ignored calls made by two Metis women who were murdered last year.

Sisters Doreen Leclair and Corrine McKeown were found stabbed to death in February 2000 in Leclair's home.

McKeown's former boyfriend was sentenced to life in prison earlier this week after he pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in the deaths of the two women. William John Dunlop, 32, has no chance of parole or 17 years.

Before they were killed, McKeown and Leclair had made five 911 calls for help. Police were dispatched after the first call, but were told nothing was wrong. During a subsequent call, it's believed Dunlop can be heard killing one or both of the sisters. The police weren't dispatched again until after the fifth call.

The Aboriginal Council of Winnipeg says their calls were ignored because of racism. The transcript of the calls show operators suggested the women shouldn't have let the killer in the house, and that the parties involved had been drinking.

"If we look behind the references to drinking, the references to victim-blaming ... all of those things just demonstrate to me a racial stereotype and also blaming victims, that they're somehow responsible and that they should protect themselves," says Marti Ford of the Aboriginal Council of Winnipeg.

"It leads one to believe that there is a pattern here of underlying hate. Sometimes racism is not name-calling anymore but a pattern of innuendoes. It's a little bit more subtle now, but the results are not so subtle."

But Winnipeg Police Service Chief Jack Ewatski says racism was not a factor in the deaths of McKeown and Leclair.

"There was nothing that was uncovered during the course of this investigation that suggested in any way that racism, classism, sexism played any part," says Ewatski.
(My Emphasis]

Article Link

Another instance of where things go wrong:

Call for Help

Larissa Moore, W-FIVE

Date: Sat. Apr. 12 2008 6:56 PM ET

We are taught from a young age to dial 911 in the case of an emergency. But what would happen if you called that number and you didn't get the response you needed? Well, several families in Canada have had this experience. Even worse, some people have called 911 with serious emergencies and help was not sent right away. These delays ended with tragic consequences where people died.

It was a week before Christmas 2007 in the picturesque town of Cranbrook, British Columbia. Tammy Ellis, Lynn Neelin and another friend were at home watching television. Neelin says she looked out the window and saw her friend's ex boyfriend walking up to the house. He was known to police and had a violent past. Ellis went outside to speak with him. A few moments later, he had kicked the door of the house down.

"One kick, he's in here. And he comes, he stands right here and he called Tammy a name and that was it - boom like right there," says Neelin.

The intruder pulled out a gun and shot Ellis in the chest. While Ellis lay dying on the floor Neelin dialed 911. But the lines at the nearest call centre 500 kilometers away in Kelowna were busy; each time she called she received a recorded message to wait on the line.

"Why are people getting put on hold? This is an emergency number...there should be no hold. There should be a person answering that phone 24/7," says Neelin.

A 911 dispatcher finally answered the call and it is believed that police and ambulance did not arrive at the scene of the crime until about 20 minutes later after the first call to 911 was made. It was too late. Ellis was dead.

According to the RCMP who operates the 911 dispatch centre in Kelowna there were only two call takers working and one of them was on a break. The RCMP also said it was an unusually busy night for calls.

Tammy's parents Don and Betty-Lou Michalsky were devastated when they heard the news that their daughter was dead. Since Tammy's murder Don has made it his mission in life to change the way 911 functions in Cranbrook. Michalsky has collected more than 10,000 signatures for petitions determined to see the 911 system reinstated in Cranbrook.

"I know it's my daughter but it's also for the community to understand that hey, 911 wasn't working and please understand that."

This is not an isolated event. Too many calls, too few operators, and bad judgment calls. In the past two years people have died after not getting the help they needed after 911 calls across Canada were made in places such as Vancouver, Ottawa and Hamilton.

One community that has gone through a 911 tragedy and learned from the experience is Winnipeg. Sisters Doreen Leclair and Corinne McKeown called 911 five times over the course of eight hours from their Winnipeg home. [/b]

Corrine's ex boyfriend William Dunlop was harassing them. Police showed up after the first call but Dunlop lies about his identity and the police leave. In one of the later calls to 911 Leclair begs the 911 dispatcher to send police to help. "Oh please help me. They're fighting," she cries. No police cruiser was sent until it was too late. When police finally arrived the two sisters were found stabbed to death.

A public inquest was called and many recommendations were made to improve the Winnipeg 911 system. The Winnipeg Police Service say they have learnt a very hard lesson. "Mistakes were made and we systemically in the service knew we had to do a better job," says Winnipeg Police Chief Keith McCaskill.

If anyone hopes something is learnt from a mistake, it's Lynn Neelin.

She says she will never forget her best friend Tammy. "I'm not a real religious person and please don't take me wrong but I think God made a mistake that day. I really do. What happened to her shouldn't' have happened to her."

In the aftermath of these 911 tragedies, emergency services in Kelowna, Ottawa, and Hamilton as well as Winnipeg report they have made improvement to the ways 911 calls are handled.
  (My Emphasis)

Article Link

In the mid 80's, some folks in Calgary became fed up with the "catch are release" cycle of dealing with mostly B&E artists  that they started to take care of business themselves.  The Police were routinely finding a known criminal laying on a street with both legs/arms badly broken.  They were getting caught red handed by the homeowner, beaten with a bat, driven 10+ blocks away and dropped in the middle of the street.  The Police were all huffy in the papers shouting about how vigilante justice would not be tolerated and dire consequences to anyone caught in the act.  The results however indicated a drop in the amount of B&E reported for quite some time after this period.

Calgary 9-1-1 was in the news last month:
http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20100602/CGY_delayed_response_100602/20100602/?hub=CalgaryHome

Re: Topic: "Cops stabbed while interviewing suspect":
http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/94400/post-940692.html#msg940692

Apr. 22 2010
CTV Calgary
"Results of 9-1-1 report released":
http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20100422/CGY_911_report_104022/20100422/?hub=CalgaryHome

At Sunday at 1am the police are busy with priority one calls. You can expect to be at a B and E for an hour. Unless its complicated and then it can be longer with more people involved.

So in Calgary when the units are dealing with drunk idiots stabbing each other until 7 am there are no cars to release.

Property (potentially still inside or otherwise) slides to the underneath of crimes against persons. This can cause a call like that to slide underneath other calls all night. It happens rarely but it does happen. This couples call came at the absolute worst time.

About few years ago there was a time where in the middle of the night the City of Regina only had two police cars on the road for a few minutes during certain shifts.

There are simply not enough units sometimes.

Container said:
At Sunday at 1am the police are busy with priority one calls. You can expect to be at a B and E for an hour. Unless its complicated and then it can be longer with more people involved.

So in Calgary when the units are dealing with drunk idiots stabbing each other until 7 am there are no cars to release.

Property (potentially still inside or otherwise) slides to the underneath of crimes against persons. This can cause a call like that to slide underneath other calls all night. It happens rarely but it does happen. This couples call came at the absolute worst time.

About few years ago there was a time where in the middle of the night the City of Regina only had two police cars on the road for a few minutes during certain shifts.

So, Serve and Investigate not Serve and Protect.

Not a slam against the front line, but against idiots like Chief William Blair, Chief of Police Toronto Police Service, President Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police who is on record, in parlimetary hearings, as saying he would rather spend millions on the long gun registry rather than use it to put more officers on the street.

Of course he also claims to speak for ALL officers in Canada ::)

Container said:

If the house was confirmed cleared, Container, then you might have a point.

The point was, however, that the homeowners were uncertain whether of not there were still thieves in the house, hiding or temporarily spooked, but still there.  From a friend in LEA, a unit could have responded to clear the premises, then sent a unit from the day platoon to investigate and write a detailed report.

Regards
G2G

to be fair to your friend- where the victims of property crime are confirmed to be safe they are not a priority one call.

Where a car could be released fine- but there are times where there are no cars to release' All tied up priority one.

Im not sure how CPS policies allow for units from other districts to be sent but maybe that should be looked at.

I can see your point. But its being investigated and I believe its just a series of variables lining up in an unusual manner that happens once in a while.

Of course- there is also some junior officers that really hate break and enters.....so MAYBE there is more.

Again- all speculation.

As an aside- this is a crime scene with blood and other bodily fluids. There cant be an officer who attends and leaves. As I work in forensics I can tell you that this is more complicated than a scenario where officers show up clear the house and leave for someone to come back later.

EDIT

Actually now that I am thinking about it- a scene with potential forensic evidence where it was unknown whether there was an injured suspect inside the house, from what the article said, probably should have been dispatched higher. There are several scenarios where there may STILL have been no way to arrive for some time but I would suggest now that - yes - it probably should have been a priority 1 call.

Injuries, evidence, possibly suspects......

who knows what was going on in that call centre that night though. They can be zoo's. Human employees= Human error.

But in this case I may have defeated my own argument.

But there are cases where you cannot release a car for a house "clearing". And if you can keep the victims out of harms way you just try and do so until you can get someone to go- that long seems awful unusual though.

However, an officer cannot enter a crime scene and then come back later. If he does he is wasting everyones time. Any evidence, and scene related measurements and recordings, including photographs should be taken in the first instance unless there is some huge demonstrable need to leave RIGHT now. Statements can be taken later, and insome cases thats better, but if these things arent seized the first time, and the officer cant say that the scene hasn't been tampered with then any witness statements taken are just to make everyone feel good.

As an aside- does Calgary not have a Break and Enter crew? Maybe they work bankers hours?

Not to suggest a return to mechanical street corner alarm boxes.
But, after reading this story, I can not help but remember their simplicity.

Before they were removed circa 1980, we used to be sent to them. Just pull the handle, and a "Check Alarm" was telegraphed to TFD.
Because it was mechanical, with no voice contact, there was no call priorization. Never a mistake as to call location. Even if the call originator was deaf, it did not matter. They could be positive that within a few short minutes a crew of firemen ( the old time back-step guys ) would arrive from the local firehouse. If not a fire, they would radio for police, or an ambulance. TFD could "put a rush on" police, or ambulance, if required.
Whatever the problem, the citizens were relieved that Emergency Services were promptly on-scene. Guaranteed. Because the public was so confident in them, many used the call boxes, rather than pay-phones, not only to report fires, but to call for help at muggings and medical emergencies.
The electricity could fail, you might, or might not, get a dial-tone on your telephone or cell-phone. ( As happened on 9/11. ) But, because alarm boxes were mechanical, you could always rely on them. And safely use them from outside your burning ( or, if you wanted to report an intruder inside ) house.

I read that New York City still operates 15,000 public alarm boxes.

recceguy said:
So, Serve and Investigate not Serve and Protect.

Not a slam against the front line, but against idiots like Chief William Blair, Chief of Police Toronto Police Service, President Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police who is on record, in parlimetary hearings, as saying he would rather spend millions on the long gun registry rather than use it to put more officers on the street.

Of course he also claims to speak for ALL officers in Canada ::)

Sorry I missed this Recce-

But yes it is an awful lot of serve and investigate. I've said it before, as a bitter prick, a guy has to take care of his friends, family, and neighbours. It would offer me little consolation if the guy who victimized my group got charged.

The concept of police protection I think was sort've sidelined when the courts stopped being terribly interested in "protecting" the public. The goals of rehabilitation and reintegration have moved security to the rear. There is something to be said for rehabilitation but its success, in my practical viewpoint, seems limited.

The things that the police spend budgets on can really spin a guys head. I wish I was free to express my feelings on the registry but its been suggested that we dont..... 

Thanks for the callbox links Mario. Interesting stuff.

Container said:
Thanks for the callbox links Mario. Interesting stuff.

My pleasure, Container. I was sent to them sometimes. They considered keeping the boxes, but modifying them. The pull switch would be removed, and replaced by three buttons ( one each for Police, Fire or Ambulance ) and a two-way speaker. I guess it would have been too expensive, so they decided to remove the boxes altogether.

Regarding Calgary Public Safety Communications PSC:
"the communications hub, which also handles fire and EMS":
It sounds like the three radio rooms in Calgary now work in the same room? That is something I have never seen. Not even on the same floor. If that is the case, it must be interesting in there!

"Home Intruder Incident:
Protocols were followed in regard to dispatching of the incident. Police were dispatched to the incident as a Priority 1 call and coded as a suspicious person incident. Protocols set by PSC and the Calgary Police Service do not specify how a call should be coded and this is left to discretion of the Emergency Communication Officer. While the coding of the call did not impact response time to the incident as it was still deemed a Priority 1 event, a recommendation was made that supports additional training to help Emergency Communications Officers assign the most appropriate code."
http://newsroom.calgary.ca/pr/calgary/public-safety-communications-extending-160722.aspx?link_page_rss=160722

"ASIRT Incident:
There was a failure to appropriately verify the address and phone number of the original caller to 9-1-1, resulting in the dispatching of police and EMS to an incorrect address provided by the caller. As a result, emergency response was delayed; police arrived on scene in 11 minutes and EMS was on scene in 15 minutes. Recommendations were made to address the need for standardized initial questions for 9-1-1 and police Emergency Communications Officers to ensure phone number and address verification occur."

CTV Calgary:
"As CTV News first revealed, it took nearly 20 minutes for police and paramedics to arrive.
A transcript of the 9-1-1 call shows the first call came in at 10:28 a.m. At 10:45 a.m. the call maker says "I don't see EMS yet." Seconds later she says "They're still not here." She is assured by 9-1-1 that paramedics are at the scene but at 10:46 she says "Are you sure they're here?" Then at 10:47 the caller confirms crews have arrived at the officer's side."
http://newsroom.calgary.ca/pr/calgary/public-safety-communications-extending-160722.aspx?link_page_rss=160722

Calgary Sun:
"Police union calls for hands-on role for cops at 911 centre:
"The latest criticism aimed at the PSC was sparked by a delayed call to the downtown office of the Alberta Serious Incident Response Team where a 25-year RCMP veteran, Sgt. Andrew Johnson, was viciously stabbed and lay bleeding while emergency dispatchers struggled to confirm the exact address.
Paramedics took 19 minutes to reach Johnson, but PSC manager Steve Dongworth said EMS crews were on the scene in 13 minutes and for reasons not yet known took another six minutes to get to the victim.
<snip>
He (PSC manager Steve Dongworth ) added his daughter was the dispatcher dealing with the attack on the Mountie and a review of the incident is being dealt with in consultation with other management.":
http://www.calgarysun.com/news/alberta/2010/06/07/14300831.html

As far as the benefits of removing Police Officers, Firefighters and Paramedics off the street, and into the radio rooms, I have heard the pros and cons discussed many times over many years.

Highlights mine.

Back