• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

9 out of 10 Jobs created in Canada in 2020-2021 were in the Public Sector

Humphrey Bogart

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Reaction score

Nearly 9 of 10 Canada jobs created in 2020–21 were in public sector: report​

Fraser Institute study found almost no growth in private sector jobs during the pandemic, with government employment amounting for nearly 90% of all new jobs.
After Canada experienced record-breaking jobs growth last year as the economy rebounded from COVID-19 and lockdowns, a new report finds that the biggest driver of employment during the pandemic was hiring in the public sector, not the private sector.

And this is going to be the only "growth" soon enough 😁

Thats Nice GIF
High Five Sacha Baron Cohen GIF by filmeditor

I'd want to parse the data more closely - how many new jobs were temporary, created to help with government response to COVID (at fed, prov and muni levels) and have been ramping down?

I'd want to parse the data more closely - how many new jobs were temporary, created to help with government response to COVID (at fed, prov and muni levels) and have been ramping down?
But the headline writes the story.

That doesn’t make a very good headline

This article breaks it down a bit more I think. Sadly governments, especially left wing governments like the Liberal-NDP Bromance, seldom cut jobs:

Pandemic hiring boom: Federal government added nearly 20,000 workers in a single year​

Nearly half the job gains were accounted for by just three departments and agencies on the frontlines of the war against the novel coronavirus.

Clearly the number of jobs at Statistics Canada and Elections Canada will show drops in coming surveys. And the need for people to develop and administer emergency programs also appears diminished.

However, Statistics Canada’s Labour Force Survey, which samples a slightly larger universe of federal government employees — it includes the military, for instance — suggests the hiring has continued unabated. The latest monthly snapshot estimates there were 457,400 federal government workers in February, compared to about 410,000 in the same month a year earlier. The same data shows a year over year drop of five per cent for the capital region.

If most of the additions become permanent, it will have a dramatic impact on the government’s balance sheet because accountants must record estimates for the cost of the future benefits earned by each employee during the year.

According to the public accounts, the government added $19.2 billion worth of future benefits earned by employees last year. Compared to the total spending increase of $270 billion in fiscal 2021 — it ended March 31 — that may not seem like much, but it adds up.

I tried to explain once that each public employee requires four equivalently paid private employees to maintain. People couldn't understand that public employees are at best, net zero to the economy, but in reality a net negative.

So wait, there’s a labour shortage and the government is the only ones creating jobs? I think I know how to solve two problems at once…
I know a number of people around my age or a couple of years younger that got hired by the Feds in position that I would consider: "make work jobs".

Back