• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

8 Jan 2020: UKR Airliner shot down in Tehran

Well, can’t say that judge didn’t take it seriously. Looks like he’ll be personally involved - on the surface at least - in trying to get what they can for the families.

If Iran paid the amount after a judge found it to be an intentional act of terrorism, would that not be them confirming the accusation of being a state sponsor of terror?

Even if Iran was inclined to pay it, would it be in their best interest to do so. (Money aside.)

I think we all know Iran did NOT shoot down the airliner intentionally. Not a single benefit comes from that.

I’m guessing it got shot down by accident, and freaking out senior people (who weren’t thinking clearly) then tried to hide the entire thing altogether. Including bulldozing the crash site.

I think we all know Iran did NOT shoot down the airliner intentionally. Not a single benefit comes from that.

I’m guessing it got shot down by accident, and freaking out senior people (who weren’t thinking clearly) then tried to hide the entire thing altogether. Including bulldozing the crash site.
…unless the Iranians had ‘little green men’ advisors and the Ukrainian airliner was specifically targeted as an indirect influence activity in the ‘little green men’s” larger political agenda… 🤔

I wouldn't bet on that. After all in 1979 they did take the American Embassy and hold American diplomats for 444 days.

Well, can’t say that judge didn’t take it seriously. Looks like he’ll be personally involved - on the surface at least - in trying to get what they can for the families.

If Iran paid the amount after a judge found it to be an intentional act of terrorism, would that not be them confirming the accusation of being a state sponsor of terror?

Even if Iran was inclined to pay it, would it be in their best interest to do so. (Money aside.)

This Judge disagrees with you, and it is to our shame that Canada has done nothing in return apart from levy a fine, which they will never pay.

If that plane had been full of US citizens, there'd be a few more smoking craters in Tehran right about now:

Iran shot down plane full of Canadians intentionally in act of terrorism, Ontario judge rules​

A jury will now decide how much Iran should pay the victims. 'We will seize and sell any Iranian assets worldwide that we can get our hands on,' their lawyer said

Iran intentionally shot down an airliner packed with Canadian citizens and residents more than a year ago in an act of terrorism, an Ontario judge has ruled, adding judicial heft to allegations the crash was not just a tragic accident.

The decision issued Thursday opens the door to an unusual legal spectacle — a civil jury of six ordinary Canadians deciding how much compensation the Middle Eastern power must pay victims of Flight PS752 .

The plaintiffs asked in their statement of claim for $1.5 billion.

“When those people were killed on that plane, that was a community event,” said Mark Arnold, the Toronto lawyer handling the case. “This is an event affecting all of us and it is appropriate and right for the community to decide in its wisdom what the compensation should be.”

This Judge disagrees with you, and it is to our shame that Canada has done nothing in return apart from levy a fine, which they will never pay.

If that plane had been full of US citizens, there'd be a few more smoking craters in Tehran right about now:

Iran shot down plane full of Canadians intentionally in act of terrorism, Ontario judge rules​

A jury will now decide how much Iran should pay the victims. 'We will seize and sell any Iranian assets worldwide that we can get our hands on,' their lawyer said

Iran intentionally shot down an airliner packed with Canadian citizens and residents more than a year ago in an act of terrorism, an Ontario judge has ruled, adding judicial heft to allegations the crash was not just a tragic accident.

The decision issued Thursday opens the door to an unusual legal spectacle — a civil jury of six ordinary Canadians deciding how much compensation the Middle Eastern power must pay victims of Flight PS752 .

The plaintiffs asked in their statement of claim for $1.5 billion.

“When those people were killed on that plane, that was a community event,” said Mark Arnold, the Toronto lawyer handling the case. “This is an event affecting all of us and it is appropriate and right for the community to decide in its wisdom what the compensation should be.”

I agree...But what could we do? Yes fines....They already are not part of SWIFT transactions.

Have the RCN sail and seize a ship?

RCAF bomb something? We really couldn't do that with out a ton of help.

Special mission by CSOR? (I have no idea here)

All we have is the power of wagging the finger.

One more thing is even if it was the US, I don't think there would be craters in Tehran. Not at this time and especially with this admin. They are lookin for Iran to be their one foreign policy win before the mid terms.

Let me again reiterate that I LIKE how involved and resolute this judge seems to be.

Regardless of a decision - if it is made with the best interest of someone in mind, and a judge chooses to really dig into the matter and help? That’s fantastic, and not something I’ve seen often thus far.

I just don’t see the compensation happening.

- Iran would have to admit that it was a deliberate act of terrorism, and not an accidental shoot down. (At the time, they most likely were trying to shoot down a plane. Just not that plane.)

- Iran would have to forward those funds…where? And to who? And who would be the government official to do so? (Those minor details matter, as it’s the difference between something actually happening or not happening.)

Especially if the Iranian government doesn’t recognize the court’s decision. (Or Remained unaware of it.)

- If Iran did in fact engage in a deliberate act of terrorism, as found by the court, why would they pay the fine? They’re terrorists… 😕🤷🏼‍♂️

I just don’t see it happening, practically, in the end. But I do genuinely wish them good luck. Maybe there is a way 🤷🏼‍♂️🙏🏻

It was a civil judgement, and opens the door for the plaintiffs to apply to seize Iranian assets in Canada (if any) or seek to apply international law to seize Iranian assets held in other countries.

I agree...But what could we do? Yes fines....They already are not part of SWIFT transactions.

Have the RCN sail and seize a ship?
Or sink some
RCAF bomb something? We really couldn't do that with out a ton of help.
Not a lot of help - I mean there are several nearby bases that would happy pay for fuel and give the CF-18's bombs to use, and then host a party for the pilots when they get back.
Special mission by CSOR? (I have no idea here)
Probably not CSOR - but some of JTF-2's coalition brothers do have experience in Iran that could be useful to either snatch and grab, blow some stuff or people up.

All we have is the power of wagging the finger.
No, you have power, it's just JT didn't sign for a spine.
One more thing is even if it was the US, I don't think there would be craters in Tehran. Not at this time and especially with this admin. They are lookin for Iran to be their one foreign policy win before the mid terms.
Don't be so sure, Sleepy Joe is looking for something to make him look like less of a pussy these days, and ideally doesn't involve sending US Troops into the Ukraine - DJT showed that nothing makes for good votes here like bombing some IRG.

It was a civil judgement, and opens the door for the plaintiffs to apply to seize Iranian assets in Canada (if any) or seek to apply international law to seize Iranian assets held in other countries.

Probably not required. Trade sanctions are trashing their economy just fine right now, it seems:

These 6 charts show how sanctions are crushing Iran’s economy​

Iran’s economy is crumbling after years of U.S. sanctions — and Tehran insists Washington must suspend those restrictions before the two sides can return to nuclear talks.

Both countries have indicated interest in returning to the negotiating table, but neither the U.S. nor Iran wants to give in to the other.

Probably not required. Trade sanctions are trashing their economy just fine right now, it seems:

These 6 charts show how sanctions are crushing Iran’s economy​

Iran’s economy is crumbling after years of U.S. sanctions — and Tehran insists Washington must suspend those restrictions before the two sides can return to nuclear talks.

Both countries have indicated interest in returning to the negotiating table, but neither the U.S. nor Iran wants to give in to the other.

Which do nothing to satisfy the judgement in favour of the plaintiffs.

(...)

(...)

The latest: Iran's been told (as of last month) - decision attached ...
... and let the litigation continue

Attachments

• Zarei+v+Iran+DECISION.pdf
    442.2 KB · Views: 0
Wonder if that has anything to do with Iran shipping UAVs to the Russians to help them murder more Ukrainians?

Back