• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

8 figure grid map protractor

DG-41

Inactive
Reaction score
Let's say, for purposes of discussion, that I have a map-marking protractor that includes on it a special romer that makes it possible to pull accurate 8-figure grids off either a 1:50k or 1:25k map without needing a magnifying glass.

Let's also say that it has an angle scale in both degrees and mils, a range measuring quadrant, and a few cutouts for some basic map symbols.

And let's say that it costs around $30.

Who would want one?

Also: would you rather have the 1:25k scale 8 figure roamer, or extra symbol templates?

DG

If your offering to sell something, no matter how coyly, move this over to Buy/ Sell/ Trade.

Nothing is for sale yet - I'm looking to see if it is worth the trouble to start the process.

Is that inappropriate of this area of the board?

DG

RecceDG
it sounds like the ones we were issued back in the 80's. I still use mine to this day.
Cheers

No, this isn't the same thing.

As far as I can tell, this is the first protractor to have a romer capable of pulling an accurate *eight* figure grid off a 1:50k map, not just a *six* figure grid.

This has a special romer on it that can tell the difference between 12304560 and 12314560 - and it's not just 10 tiny hash marks between each digit in the issue protractor (that would be impossible to read).

It also has a rangefinding "fan" in one quadrant and a few stencil cutouts in it, but those features can be found elsewhere on issue kit (although not on the same template) and so aren't really that big a deal. But the 8-figure-grid feature, again, as far as I can tell, is completely new.

DG

I'll bring one into work tonight and show you, and I'll see what I can do about getting one online soon too.

Looks like I MIGHT be able to get the price down to $20 - $25, with volume making the difference.

Like everything else, buying in volume pushes unit prices down.

DG

Is it electronic in anyway? Does it require batteries or is it "handraulic"? How big is it? I think a picture would really help - even a sketch.

Maggie

It's pretty much like the issue protractor, only it has a specially designed romer scale on it that can get the extra digit's worth of accuracy. It works similar to a vernier scale on a vernier caliper, except with no moving parts. There's an extra step to read the extra digit.

Yes, a picture would help, and I'll probably put something up this weekend to help visualize it. But at the same time, I don't want to get snaked either....

It's not going to change the world or anything, but now that the GPS is so common, and especially in urban areas where the 100m X 100m error block for a 6-figure grid can put you across the road at the wrong building (I got bit by this recently) the ability to pull an accurate 8-figure grid off a map is really useful.

I think this would be a neat kitshop item, and ideally, I'd prefer to wholesale it to the unit kitshops. But before I invest in stock, I'd like to guage interest.

DG

Back